• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I hope somebody acquires the Crysis IP, that's been dormant for years now. Maybe they can 'reboot' Ryse as well.....

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yep. PS Now being an underwhelming service shouldn't write off all future streaming. When new games are on there, it's going to change things.

No it wont. What will "change things" is being able to stream without any lag. That will change things.

Sony had the right idea, its the delivery of it that sucks.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Seems Microsoft is taking gaming seriously, which makes me happy. I feel like Xbox needs to do better outside of the US for them to truly take the next step. Not sure what they can do in some regions like Japan, but Europe should be a region they can find success in moving forward. Hopefully investing aggressively will help.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
No it wont. What will "change things" is being able to stream without any lag. That will change things.

No, they definitely did not have the right idea. The service is no bueno all around.

There's no new games on the service, let especially not launching on there like MSs first party games.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Streaming is basically Microsoft's plan B for always-online console gaming. If you don't even own the hardware, then you would be forced to be online.

Microsft's plans are pretty transparent. They were never very good liars.

WTF is this?

The other forum is down the road...

I like that MS, under Nadella, has a clear vision of the future. This is not to say that things will not change, but they are thinking about the future.

VincentMatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No, they definitely did not have the right idea. The service is no bueno all around.

There's no new games on the service, let especially not launching on there like MSs first party games.

MS games are donwloaded to the console, meaning you need the console or a PC to play the games.

Sonys service is available through an app and thus is accessible on TVs (currently), consoles, etc and therefore MORE devices (and potential devices). PS now has the potential is being available on cellular devices because its an APP you download and thats it, and thus is accessible from anywhere at anytime. What MS is doing now isnt.

Thats why Sony had the right idea. If MS can do that but make it not lag like psnow, then xbox could be anywhere on any device. You wont even need a console.

Sony absolutely had the right idea.

Oct 25, 2017
WgLmzaS.gif

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Lag might matter most to you, but having day and date new releases on a subscription service will absolutely get people's attention. A lot of things you may think are essential for streaming to be successful for you are either a non-factor or imperceptible for others. Content will matter most.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a broken record, but I keep saying, next generation is going to be a good one for Xbox. For the first time since Xbox has existed, the actual company of Microsoft is taking Xbox seriously.

Huh? The launch of the OG Xbox had a lot of support from higher ups, it was one of Bill Gates babies and he himself did the unveiling of it. They also were huge backers of the early years of the 360 and during the Red Ring of Death where Balmer backed up the plan to stand by the product. It was shortly after this that it felt like the higher ups were not as aggressive with the brand. But the early OG Xbox and first 2 years of 360 it was heavily backed up.

VincentMatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lag might matter most to you, but having day and date new releases on a subscription service will absolutely get people's attention. A lot of things you may think are essential for streaming to be successful for you are either a non-factor or imperceptible for others. Content will matter most.

The content wont matter if the basics of the service are shit. I dunno how many more times i can explain this.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The content wont matter if the basics of the service are shit. I dunno how many more times i can explain this.
And the point of my post is what you call 'shit' isn't reality or what most people will think (did you even read what I wrote?).

Streaming isn't likely to be the most appealing option to people on an enthusiast forum ever. It won't live or die with those people and it's not who these companies are targeting most.

VincentMatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And the point of my post is what you call 'shit' isn't reality or what most people will think (did you even read what I wrote?).

Streaming isn't likely to be the most appealing option to people on an enthusiast forum ever. It won't live or die with those people and it's not who these companies are targeting most.

Then you have no vision and you really dont get it. Streaming is the future.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Exciting times but the wait sucks. Next gen should be amazing and with the BC team knocking it out he park and the developer support, good times.

They need to do better outside the US and UK though. The rest of the EU is non existent. Japan, get all the games at least!

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
No, you dont. A "Netflix" that chops or cuts every 2 seconds is a service people wont use, no matter what content is on there. Its common sense.
Goes without saying? That's not most people's experience with PS Now anyways and in the very post you took exception with of mine I called that service 'underwhelming'. It goes without saying the quality of life for these services will improve over time. The most important thing will always be content. You're arguing stuff no one is even saying.

VincentMatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Goes without saying? That's not most people's experience with PS Now anyways and in the very post you took exception with of mine I called that service 'underwhelming'. It goes without saying the quality of life for these services will improve over time. The most important thing will always be content. You're arguing stuff no one is even saying.

Are you joking? That is literally one of the biggest complaints of the service since day one. Its not smooth at all. Which is also why MS made gamepass games directly "downloadable" so that the experience of the games are silky smooth. Its literally why PSnow never took off and gamerpass did.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? The launch of the OG Xbox had a lot of support from higher ups, it was one of Bill Gates babies and he himself did the unveiling of it. They also were huge backers of the early years of the 360 and during the Red Ring of Death where Balmer backed up the plan to stand by the product. It was shortly after this that it felt like the higher ups were not as aggressive with the brand. But the early OG Xbox and first 2 years of 360 it was heavily backed up.

You should go listen to interviews of Xbox people. Early years they never even felt a part of Microsoft.

Bill Gates may have helped start it, but there is a lot more to it than that.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't part of that because they were in another building off the Microsoft campus?

There is an interview about it from a few years ago. Not sure where to find it.

I think it was a Phil Spencer interview though, but cant remember. it may have been that IGN podcast with three Xbox heads.

Point is, Microsoft never really seemed to be all in on Xbox. They were there, but having full support? I wouldnt go that far. Now, they seem to be getting full support which is why Phil Spencer is now being taken seriously within Microsoft, and not just within Xbox.

RudeBoy

Banned
May 8, 2018
I know people are still laughing about the "power of the cloud" thing, but for me this is still the most interesting investment.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is an interview about it from a few years ago. Not sure where to find it.

I think it was a Phil Spencer interview though, but cant remember. it may have been that IGN podcast with three Xbox heads.

Point is, Microsoft never really seemed to be all in on Xbox. They were there, but having full support? I wouldnt go that far. Now, they seem to be getting full support which is why Phil Spencer is now being taken seriously within Microsoft, and not just within Xbox.
I don't have any faith in Microsoft not to be like we tried and basically drop the ball again. They are big at talking and very poor at backing things up.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any faith in Microsoft not to be like we tried and basically drop the ball again. They are big at talking and very poor at backing things up.

Considering they have Phil Spencer on the executive team, I would argue Gaming as a whole from Microsoft is getting a much larger push than they ever have. He no longer rolls up under the Windows/Devices lead which is probably the single largest change for Xbox in its entirety as a division at Microsoft.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

People said the same thing when they said they would invest more into first party last year. That it was all talk.

As soon as Phil got a bigger budget, he showed action.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Remember when MS was inevitably leaving the industry? Funny times.
They are moving beyond consoles though.

Ok Phil, now open that wallet and make 1666 Amsterdam happen

Don't get too comfy. There will probably still be someone out there who claims that Microsoft aggressively investing in gaming is undeniable proof that they are leacing the video games industry.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Having a good streaming service linked to game purchases and gamepass subscription is a great if it manifests that way. If the streaming service is quality then and I can do it on all sorts of devices then all bets are off. Local gaming is obviously preferable but being able to stream my games to phone and other devices is a very nice value add to the platform. I don't want to hold my breath but its very possible that MS will be the leader both technologically and from a consume value position. It's really exciting to see MS pushing the envelope in some areas. I love that they are committed to consumer choice.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
People really should get out of their bubble. Not everyone has a big TV or monitor to game on. Some people dont even have a PC and their mobile is their thing they use.
Not everyone like Spencer said has a option like "do i play on this OLED or that monitor?" Thats why streaming comes in. If they can make "big"games stream to phones, tablets etc. That will open gaming to a even bigger audience. Your home console while playing on a OLED doesnt go away. MS also knows thats the best experience for a long time. They are just giving options so people can play easier and streaming is a big one in it.
You should be happy as that means more players in your game, more gamers in general resulting in more games.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Don't get too comfy. There will probably still be someone out there who claims that Microsoft aggressively investing in gaming is undeniable proof that they are leacing the video games industry.
Literally the *day* MS announced the X1S AND X1X there were dozens of people on GAF saying that how obvious it was that MS was cutting the Xbox division.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Streaming will never replace consoles. The input lag is just always going to be too much for many people, fighting games, FPS games ect are never going to feel right over streamed services. I think MS knows this. I just don't see anyone wanting to stream a game to their phone over data or shitty public wifi and have a controller with them?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People said the same thing when they said they would invest more into first party last year. That it was all talk.

As soon as Phil got a bigger budget, he showed action.
We will see if they come through with the promises but they have bought studios in the past and than nothing. It's all talk until it actually comes to reality. Microsoft has a history of promising and not coming through with the promises.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming will never replace consoles. The input lag is just always going to be too much for many people, fighting games, FPS games ect are never going to feel right over streamed services. I think MS knows this. I just don't see anyone wanting to stream a game to their phone over data or shitty public wifi and have a controller with them?
It doesnt have to replace consoles. Its another option.

TechMaster

Oct 28, 2017
Been really impresssed with everything MS is doing recently, they seem to be building some great foundations for next gen

Oct 25, 2017
Considering they have Phil Spencer on the executive team, I would argue Gaming as a whole from Microsoft is getting a much larger push than they ever have. He no longer rolls up under the Windows/Devices lead which is probably the single largest change for Xbox in its entirety as a division at Microsoft.

Seriously, once Phil was promoted to the senior leadership team as an Executive VP that sealed MS's commitment to gaming. Gaming at Microsoft is part of the inner circle now.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it.

But they certainly have their base riled up, the intent is there, now they have to deliver