• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even get this one, the Drakengard 3 clearly played a pattern then asked the player to repeat, this one it seems like you're just playing to the beat at the same time as the boss? I don't get how you're supposed to know when to play unless you memorize the song first. Like, it feels like the button prompts are supposed to be on screen lol.

Yup. The timing on it is madness because you basically need to match the note before it even comes out, or your timing will be off.

The lack of button prompts just makes it that much more maddening.

It is *truly* demonic.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I resorted to cheesing him with Firecracker spam because I was so sick of it.
I think the difficult part of that fight is that Emma sets you up for a certain combat rhythm that Isshin then throws completely out of the window.
Yea definitely, it's the same with how the game sets up the entire pace and then demon of hate completely breaks it lol. At least with that it isn't back to back with a completely different pace though.

Sekiro isn't my favorite souls game, but it is, probably from a design perspective, the best one. It's an amazingly tight, crafted game.

EchizenKurage

Apr 4, 2024
Dallas, TX
The hardest final boss I've ever beaten was this son of a beast (Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising)

ArmstrongCherryDisgust.png

I never figured out how to parry his big attack and you pretty much have to be perfect without parrying. I think it took me a month, and I almost gave up numerous times.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i was stuck on that drakengard 3 sequence for days. it would be a very beautiful moment but it's completely ruined by how much of a pain it is. these are some of my issues:

inconsistent frame rates sometimes fuck up the rhythm

especially when fast inputs are needed, input lag forces you to rush a bit instead of staying on the rhythm

that final press is just mean. it's not following the rules of the rest of the sequence and because of the ritardando followed by silence, you have no way of knowing when it's expected. it's literally trial and error unless you look it up. and getting to that point is extremely rare because of the earlier issues. after failing it like three times, i looked the timing of it up online

Oct 28, 2017
I am suprised to see this opinion.

At least in D1, you could pause during the game and still see the pattern of notes. That's actually how I beat it 😊

D3 blacks out the screen upon pause 😞 (not that it would super help in D3, since the nature of the rhythm game is different)

So the optimal way to play is certainly to hit the note at the exact same time as the boss. As you point out, this isn't possible without rote memorization.

The intended way it works is that you are "blocking" the boss notes with a same-color soundwave of your own. So the "lane" is the distance from the boss' sound wave to the dragon...if you call out a matching note before it reaches the dragon, it is blocked. Otherwise you die.

You can actually even call the wrong note (ex. white v. black) and still live, as long as you hit the correct note before the wave reaches the dragon. There's a surprising amount of flexibility in D1 (it's still hard though).
That's an unintentional exploit. I'm 100% positive that most people could only beat him that way. That's the reason why I consider it to be much harder than D3's final boss and most of the fights mentioned here.

Same goes for MM1's Yellow Devil. You can't say that he's easy because you can beat him using the thunder beam glitch, fully knowing that it's an obvious exploit.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Same goes for MM1's Yellow Devil. You can't say that he's easy because you can beat him using the thunder beam glitch, fully knowing that it's an obvious exploit.
No but I can say he's easy since he has the same easily learnable pattern which is honestly kinda overblown difficulty wise ;) And that's me using the buster to beat him, even using the Elec Beam (no exploit) is kinda off the table for me, I like the extra challenge! (I honestly dislike stage 2's clone MM more since his movement can sometimes be eratic/problematic)

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
it's very funny to see people who didn't play the game respond that the final drakenboss 3 boss is easy. for the last note, the game literally cheats and doesn't follow the same rules as elsewhere. no one can get it on the first attempt without looking it up, i guarantee it. if they say they did, they're lying

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
Some of the bosses at the end of Armored Core 6 ng+ and ++ were downright mean. Not mentioning names because some of them are spoilery.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
yeah idk maybe its because believe it or not from the username, i play a lot of rhythm games, but i twigged onto all of that automatically. like if you play it like a call and response audio based input game, eg like rhythm heaven, you dont even need to see the screen. in fact i'd say looking at the screen is more distracting than not

i looked away and played along, and if going by the hit sounds of the person playing, i'm pretty sure i FC'd it first time, including the stuff at the end

cant tell how tight the timing is though without actually playing it so yea it could be absolutely insanely bad on that front, i cant imagine its tighter than like, getting perfects on hitsounded games like IIDX or whatever but you never know

It has nothing to do with the timing. It's actually relatively easy compared to the hardest rhythm games out there. The issue, as many have already stated, is that it hides stuff with no audio cue after a fade to black and after the ending cut scene text starts. It's why people have to resort to a youtube timing guide, myself included.

Simply put, you're not gonna get it the first time without cheating.

Jan 20, 2023
It has nothing to do with the timing. It's actually relatively easy compared to the hardest rhythm games out there. The issue, as many have already stated, is that it hides stuff with no audio cue after a fade to black and after the ending cut scene text starts. It's why people have to resort to a youtube timing guide, myself included.

Simply put, you're not gonna get it the first time without cheating.
simply put, i got it first time while listening along

it's just as telegraphed as the rest. if you can keep track of the slowing tempo, there is even extra melodic notes to help you hit it. there's nothing about it that doesn't "follow the rules" of the rest of the boss fight as some suggested

if you can do the entire boss fight up to that point then all you gotta do is keep track of that tempo as it is slowing, at iirc a predictable and steady pace no less, and do the same thing you've already been doing for the past 6 minutes or however long it was. the black screen is a red herring, you can do the entire boss fight with a black screen

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

it's just as telegraphed as the rest. if you can keep track of the slowing tempo, there is even extra melodic notes to help you hit it. there's nothing about it that doesn't "follow the rules" of the rest of the boss fight as some suggested

if you can do the entire boss fight up to that point then all you gotta do is keep track of that tempo as it is slowing, at iirc a predictable and steady pace no less, and do the same thing you've already been doing for the past 6 minutes or however long it was. the black screen is a red herring, you can do the entire boss fight with a black screen
it's not following the tempo any longer at the end. for the rest of the entire sequence, the inputs in the call and response are always expected 4 beats after they are played by the game. but for the final note, even with the slower tempo after the ritardando at the end, the expected input is at something like 5.5 beats after it's played by the game

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Nameless Puppet - Lies of P

I know somebody's going to say 'beat it first try, dunno what you're talking about' but I've never been able to beat this fucker. He's just too aggressive and fast for me to keep up with in the second phase.

Oh he is most definitely a mother fucker lol. Took me many tries but eventually got him. Spam the fuck out of him with throwables and use the twin dragons sword to dance around him on phase 2. Shotputs and electric blitz containers help a lot. Also use the grindstone that gives you perfect guard for a bit. I had like 9 different throwables in my bag and extra bag.

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
It's not hard, it's simply pure bullshit/unfair. That final note is Yoko Taro rubbing middle finger in your face.

I love Taro.
And even more I like Drakengard 3 (his best game so far). And I loved the TFB so much. Almost did it legit after two weeks of tries. But couldn't nail the last beats tho. Used a YT tutorial.

As for skill based gameplay, true final boss (The Star) from Furi is genuinely very hard. Many people never beat it.

final-boss-battle-is-stuck-at-15-fps-v0-4kjzekfncd4c1.png

Great game. Really rewarding in terms of gameplay. I managed to win and I'm not that skilled so I don't think It 's really hard.

I gave up on this:

View: https://youtu.be/YSfl0FXdxkY?si=YCVK6zd90l8Yh0Un

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Lightning Returns final boss in hard mode can wipe you in 5 seconds if he gets any momemtum.

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought I'd see someone come in and sat they would do drakengard 3s boss on the first attempt. I get it, maybe you're amazing but most people aren't amazing at these things. He'll, im completely daft when it comes to music.

I'm amazing at Donkey Kong, but I'd never say getting a million points is easy to someone just because I can do it.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
The Orphan of Kos, from Bloodborne.

Still the absolute hardest boss I've encountered in making my way through the modern Fromsoft titles, and the only time I've had to summon another player to help. Just an absurdly difficult fight, and a test of reflexes I just couldn't meet.

That said, I'm only 2/3(?) of the way through Elden Ring and I have no plans on trying Sekiro, so maybe there's something harder in there.

BK0X

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
I found the final boss of Octopath Traveler to be a lot harder.

Jan 20, 2023
it's not following the tempo any longer at the end. for the rest of the entire sequence, the inputs in the call and response are always expected 4 beats after they are played by the game. but for the final note, even with the slower tempo after the ritardando at the end, the expected input is at something like 5.5 beats after it's played by the game
idk what to tell you it was telegraphed perfectly easily for me, i'm just built diff clearly

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
It's not hard, it's simply pure bullshit/unfair. That final note is Yoko Taro rubbing middle finger in your face.

As for skill based gameplay, true final boss (The Star) from Furi is genuinely very hard. Many people never beat it.

This boss is so weird, because I dropped the game because it was too hard, returned like 6 years later and not only beat it but I platted the entire game in the following day or 2, it's like those 6 years I was secretely training to fight him again

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
Absolute Radiance from Hollow Knight. Insanely hard in itself, but what you have to do to even reach the boss is truly maddening. I was dead set on beating it. but there were many times where I started to think that it was simply beyond my abilities.

Jan 20, 2023
Absolute Radiance from Hollow Knight. Insanely hard in itself, but what you have to do to even reach the boss is truly maddening. I was dead set on beating it. but there were many times where I started to think that it was simply beyond my abilities.
extremely satisfying to finally get it tho

one of the only times i can recall in my life of gaming that i've been reduced to sitting down and actually practicing stuff just for the sake of practice.

like i did more than one session of just doing practice runs on the last 5~ bosses over and over again until i could confidently kill them like 9/10 times without much issue.

v satisfying though

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
extremely satisfying to finally get it tho

one of the only times i can recall in my life of gaming that i've been reduced to sitting down and actually practicing stuff just for the sake of practice.

like i did more than one session of just doing practice runs on the last 5~ bosses over and over again until i could confidently kill them like 9/10 times without much issue.

v satisfying though

Same! I mention it because I feel that there are most likely even harder bosses out there, but I can't think of any that are this difficult and still well-designed and fun. I did almost lose my mind after many failed attempts, but finally being able to react properly was probably the greatest moment of my gaming "career".

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017

The issue is you already cheated knowing about it through this thread and the videos that were shared , which include audio cues from the player in the video hitting those notes correctly.

You're not "built different". If you went in raw, you would've been stuck on that shit for several tries just like everybody else. It's purposely designed to fuck you over in that way. The end part isn't supposed to make sense.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Cloud of Darkness from the FF3 remake on DS. The fight is pretty tough because of how hard hitting the attacks are. The thing that makes it worse is that there are no save points in that long ass final dungeon, so if you die you have to do the whole dungeon again.

Jan 20, 2023
The issue is you already cheated knowing about it through this thread and the videos that were shared , which include audio cues from the player in the video hitting those notes correctly.

You're not "built different". If you went in raw, you would've been stuck on that shit for several tries just like everybody else. It's purposely designed to fuck you over in that way. The end part isn't supposed to make sense.

i just put the video on, watched like 20 seconds and went "oh i see" and then looked away and played along. my only information before that was that it was in some way a rhythm game and there was something fucky at the end

i am afraid i am simply built diff you should try harder. sorry

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
i just put the video on, watched like 20 seconds and went "oh i see" and then looked away and played along. my only information before that was that it was in some way a rhythm game and there was something fucky at the end

i am afraid i am simply built diff you should try harder. sorry
"I looked it up before hand" is exactly what people are pointing out though. Going in blind would have given you a different experience. But continue with your elistist BS posting, well done, you managed a thing on a game. Id applaud you if you didnt pull the "get gud" card.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
idk what to tell you it was telegraphed perfectly easily for me, i'm just built diff clearly
what seems to have happened is that you lost the tempo but by luck correctly guessed the incorrect timing the game asks of you. i just went back and listened to the song again and nope you are wrong. use this video:

youtu.be

Drakengard 3 - Branch D Final Boss & Ending | 1080p 60fps

I interpolated the cutscenes to 60 fps and recorded the boss footage using RPCS3.

go to the relevant part at around 9:10. the penultimate call and response has the call on the first beat of the bar starting at 9:13 and as expected, the response is on the first beat one bar later, at 9:16. then after that bar you have four bars with neither call or response, together with a long ritardando, and then the instruction for the final call and response comes at the first beat of the following bar at 9:36. if it were to follow the rules of the earlier calls and responses, the input from the player would be expected at the first beat of the next bar, at 9:42, but instead it comes halfway between the second and third beat of that bar, at 9:43.
there is even extra melodic notes to help you hit it
indeed, there are some extra chimes there to show where the beat is, but they prove that i am right and you are wrong. those chimes play on beats 1 and 3 in both the bar of the call and on the bar of the response, and knowing that, you can clearly tell that the response comes in between the second and third beat of the bar with the response

just a bit about my background, i am not a professional musician or anything of the sort, but i played classical guitar for over a decade as a child and teenager, and I've been a choir singer for over 25 years. when i lived in the uk for one year i was a member of a bbc-affiliated choir, which was an absolutely top-tier choir, so i'm not completely useless as a singer and i have studied music theory in one form or another since i was 7.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023
"I looked it up before hand" is exactly what people are pointing out though. Going in blind would have given you a different experience. But continue with your elistist BS posting, well done, you managed a thing on a game. Id applaud you if you didnt pull the "get gud" card.

not sure if you wanna re read what i said there but it seems like you didn't grasp me saying that i didn't look it up beforehand, i did go in blind. that's what that post says.
what seems to have happened is that you lost the tempo but by luck correctly guessed the incorrect timing the game asks of you. i just went back and listened to the song again and nope you are wrong. use this video:

youtu.be

Drakengard 3 - Branch D Final Boss & Ending | 1080p 60fps

I interpolated the cutscenes to 60 fps and recorded the boss footage using RPCS3.

go to the relevant part at around 9:10. the penultimate call and response has the call on the first beat of the bar starting at 9:13 and as expected, the response is on the first beat one bar later, at 9:16. then after that bar you have four bars with neither call or response, together with a long ritardando, and then the instruction for the final call and response comes at the first beat of the following bar at 9:36. if it were to follow the rules of the earlier calls and responses, the input from the player would be expected at the first beat of the next bar, at 9:42, but instead it comes halfway between the second and third beat of that bar, at 9:43.

indeed, there are some extra chimes there to show where the beat is, but they prove that i am right and you are wrong. those chimes play on beats 1 and 3 in both the bar of the call and on the bar of the response, and knowing that, you can clearly tell that the response comes in between the second and third beat of the bar with the response

just a bit about my background, i am not a professional musician or anything of the sort, but i played classical guitar for over a decade as a child and teenager, and I've been a choir singer for over 25 years. when i lived in the uk for one year i was a member of a bbc-affiliated choir, which was an absolutely top-tier choir, so i'm not completely useless as a singer and i have studied music theory in one form or another since i was 7.

idk, it felt right to me and i wasn't surprised that i got it, so even if it is off the pattern, it's telegraphed well enough with the supplementary flourishes that it made sense and i didn't feel like i was guessing? idk it landed exactly where it felt it should.

whether or not that is intentional on the design, or if i "got lucky" (by vibing with it so well that i just zoned in) idk

anyway this is all moot and silly. i contested i guess that boss is in no way fit to be a "hardest boss of all time" but also that's a silly title that is subjective so who cares. i was mostly just surprised anybody would consider it hard at all, at best, there is a single note that is "hard", which you would learn on your first try, then get on your second try but w/e.

different strokes for different folks as i said. if you don't play rhythm games a lot and or aren't a musician maybe it's hard as fuck then yeah.

the hardest boss of all time for me might be getting my dumbass out of silver, at best, in any kind of competitive RTS league type setting. i suck ass at those games to an embarassing extent.

it's all gravy

Jun 5, 2023

Heeeey one I've heard of and beat myself! The bullshit about this fight is how the game transforms from a action boss rush into a bullet hell. The soundtrack is amazing for this fight. Tremendous game overall

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
idk, it felt right to me and i wasn't surprised that i got it, so even if it is off the pattern, it's telegraphed well enough with the supplementary flourishes that it made sense and i didn't feel like i was guessing? idk it landed exactly where it felt it should.
you clearly didn't watch the video i posted (even though i provided time stamps so you could do it in a few seconds) and you clearly didn't follow my argument, or no way you would be able to argue with a straight face that the necessary timing to input the final tone makes sense with the tones that are playing then. the chimes which carry the theme at that part play on beats 1 and 3 and you are supposed to know that you have to input the tone on beat two and a half. (if it were following the previous rules, you would have had to input it on beat 1 of that bar.) it in no way makes sense musically to anyone that you'd have an input with syncopation at that part of the piece.

there is a single note that is "hard", which you would learn on your first try, then get on your second try but w/e.
no you wouldn't learn it on your second time because the game doesn't tell you the correct timing. if you fail the first time you have no way of knowing whether the game wants you to input earlier or later and by how much. if you start doing trial and error, inputing it one and half beat late is so strange from a musical point of view that most players probably wouldn't try it in their first ten attempts
if you don't play rhythm games a lot and or aren't a musician maybe it's hard as fuck then yeah.
being a musician here doesn't help you. it would mislead you. if you're a musician you know how to count beats and if you miss on your first attempt because you use correct timing when the game is asking for incorrect timing, you would probably assume you were late or something and probably try to hit the same actually correct (but according to the game wrong) timing again for a few attempts, before finally looking it up online.

Somarsault

Jul 20, 2023
Not the hardest but a memorable one for me is Carnage from Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage for the SNES

He can take a life with 2 or 3 hits that he can also combo into. You don't have any of the support items that summon another hero and he also has a lot of hp.

There is a cheese strategy that you can use to perfect the fight, but unless you know it it will probably take a couple tries.

maxresdefault.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not the hardest but a memorable one for me is Carnage from Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage for the SNES

He can take a life with 2 or 3 hits that he can also combo into. You don't have any of the support items that summon another hero and he also has a lot of hp.

There is a cheese strategy that you can use to perfect the fight, but unless you know it it will probably take a couple tries.

maxresdefault.jpg
Definitely one of the toughest belt combat bosses out there... and to rub further salt in the wound, the game is really long and has no passwords etc. so if you get a game over, its back to the very beginning of the game ;(
Thankfully the tag out strat gives you brief invincibility to hurt Carnage, a life saver for sure.