Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

CBS Evening News

@CBSEveningNews

·
1h

JUST IN: Speaker Nancy Pelosi names impeachment managers --> Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-NY) Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) Rep. Jason Crow (D-CO) Rep. Val Demings (D-FL) Rep. Sylvia Garcia (D-TX) https://cbsn.ws/2NrMgxJ

EOVXC-1X0AAVHgJ

EOVXC99WkAAUfaJ

EOVXC97WoAA9VCG

Oct 30, 2017
Lotta rules, lotta rules. On the street we didn't have any rules. Well, maybe just one: no hits to the groin--home by dinner.

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
Just get this charade over with so we can concentrate on the election, my god. It looks so bad.

OP
OP
Sho_Nuff82

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This is going to be such a colossal shit show, it's seriously giving me anxiety.

Senators aren't really allowed to talk based on the rules they've agreed upon. It's going to be legal counsel vs legal counsel. Mitch not allowing audio recording is pure nonsense though. Seems like if they're going to allow serious proceedings, they don't want the public to have easily accessible sound bites or clips.

Dec 31, 2017
Schiff is the right guy for this. He was masterclass during the initial hearings.

But this will still be a shitshow. Luckily stupid watergate keeps providing more damning information.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Life has been overwhelming so I haven't been keeping up that much with politics... But did the House send all articles? I seem to remember Pelosi holding on them to force McConnell into actually doing his job instead of his promised sham trial?

I'm sure the Republicans will manage to do all the disgusting shit they always do, but hopefully all of this cuts down on the fuckery.

Please remove the Orange turd, that'd make my year.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Senators aren't really allowed to talk based on the rules they've agreed upon. It's going to be legal counsel vs legal counsel. Mitch not allowing audio recording is pure nonsense though. Seems like if they're going to allow serious proceedings, they don't want the public to have easily accessible sound bites or clips.

no audio recording...

Well thats a wrap. They're best at saying "i was in the room, you didn't hear anything, and what I heard was the opposite of what the dems are saying."

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I'm surprised Jordan Raskin didn't make the cut, he was one with great legal nous and proven to be very effective during the proceedings. Swalwell while an incredibly effective public speaker, I understand his exclusion.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Where are Swalwell, Himes, Maloney?

Swalwell and Raskin are notably missing. I would've liked Raskin over Nadler (and Raskin to just take over Jerry's top chair in the Judiciary sooner rather than later). And Swalwell needed to sneak in there too as he was often the most onpoint after Schiff.

OP
OP
Sho_Nuff82

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
So, uh, Pelosi caved?

The delay helped add new evidence, and the additional stories that popped up got several Senators to speak up about wanting a real trial. "Caving" doesn't seem like an appropriate description, no.

no audio recording...

Well thats a wrap. They're best at saying "i was in the room, you didn't hear anything, and what I heard was the opposite of what the dems are saying."

Looks like people online (ie reporters) were just being dramatic. Most of the trial will be televised, but deliberation periods will be press-restricted, and the press will not be allowed to freely interact with Senators during the proceedings.

Sen. Roy Blunt said Tuesday that there will be restrictions to public and press access during President Donald Trump's impeachment trial, including periods when the Senate chamber is cleared of reporters.

The bulk of the trial will be broadcast on television. But during certain periods of debate, the Senate will go into closed session under its impeachment rules, the Missouri Republican told reporters.

"I mean closed session. I mean there will be nobody there but senators and essential staff. No cameras, no C-Span, no coverage, what the rules say happened last time," said Blunt, the Senate Rules chairman and a member of Senate GOP leadership, referring to restrictions in place during former President Bill Clinton's 1999 trial.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The delay helped add new evidence, and the additional stories that popped up got several Senators to speak up about wanting a real trial. "Caving" doesn't seem like an appropriate description, no.

Looks like people online (ie reporters) were just being dramatic. Most of the trial will be televised, but deliberation periods will be press-restricted, and the press will not be allowed to freely interact with Senators during the proceedings.

wheeewww

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Oh, that sounds interesting, and like good news. Thank you!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I'm glad Schiff is a manager. He did a masterful job running the House Intel. Committee hearings. There were rumors he wouldn't be involved.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I think helping delay the trial into late January was genius. It publicly reinforced concerns of GOP sycophantism.

And sure enough, new evidence, and GOP support for witness testimony, have since emerged.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Republicans: Send the articles to the Senate.
Also republicans on voting to send it to the Senate: Nay

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Swalwell and Raskin are notably missing. I would've liked Raskin over Nadler (and Raskin to just take over Jerry's top chair in the Judiciary sooner rather than later). And Swalwell needed to sneak in there too as he was often the most onpoint after Schiff.
I forgot Raskin, I agree it's the most notable absence.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like they picked the right people for the job. Wapo said that Zoe Lofgren is pretty much an impeachment veteran, she's been there for Nixon and Clinton.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like getting a televised trial between legal councils is the best outcome we could have expected with the impeachment inquiry.
It isn't likely to sway any Republican senators, but hopefully it continues to build the blue wave in 2020.

Looks like holding off the articles of impeachment worked, good job Pelosi.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So no audio means this is just gonna be a quick acquittal and little for the tv and radio news to share.

Dec 31, 2017
It's not "caving." It was never going to be a permanent hold.

But holding allowed the McConnell and Graham to show their asses about a sham, and it pressured "moderate" republicans to consider votes for witness testimony, and it allowed further things to be added (see the current Lev Parnas shit). That's about as good it was going to get, so it was a good move to hold for a bit.

Holding indefinitely would be stupid and look terrible; the public is already in majority support for impeachment, you don't want to lose that support by fucking around too much. They can see that the republicans are trying to acquit him, which is why now people like Romney are open to witnesses - they are feeling the pressure, and thus an outright immediate acquittal as was previously planned by Graham and McConnell is off the table.

Mind you, it will still be a shit show, and the republicans will do their best to paint him as innocent. But that was always going to be the case; now dems go in their with a little more power than previously thought, especially if they are able to rally witness testimony, further allowing Trump's shady/illegal behavior to hit the limelight.

Impeachment/removal support is at an all time high at the moment (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/), and the dems are actually playing the political game here pretty well. But they have a tough battle ahead to control the messaging leading into the election, because that's truly the only way he can get removed.