Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
As I implied before, she is playing political games, but I don't think people who are offended, especially minorities, are off base or being unreasonable in criticizing her. Obviously, no, we do not need the Republican party, and their history, especially over there course of the last 100 years, has been abhorrent.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
images

Incrementalism and all that jazz.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread's a little on the reactionary side. There is solid data showing that the most effective way to peel undecided voters who lean Trump is to attack Trump on his ineffectiveness as a leader rather than for his character. Considering the demographic make up of Pennsylvania, making nostalgic appeals like this while getting in jabs at Trump is probably an effective line of argument for those types of voters.

It's just political games as usual, y'all.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Era again showing its leftist bubble.

1. She's concern trolling Republicans.
2. Frankly, lots of conservatives are joining the Dems because the GOP abandoned sanity. It would be best to have a proper conservative party absorb those people so the Dems don't have to put up with them.
3. I like the Dems, but a one-party rule of them is dangerous and unsustainable for a country.

Threads like this is why the Left keeps losing.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2. Frankly, lots of conservatives are joining the Dems because the GOP abandoned sanity. It would be best to have a proper conservative party absorb those people so the Dems don't have to put up with them.
3. I like the Dems, but a one-party rule of them is dangerous and unsustainable for a country.

A proper conservative party what does that even mean?
And how in the world is this thread a example of how the left keeps on losing because we call out Nancy pelosi's dumb statements?

Last edited:

anamika

May 18, 2018
We need a strong second party, but it's also abundantly clear that it needs to not be the Republican Party.
That's why the US needs to get rid of the two party system. It would be nice if there was a progressive/left democratic party and a liberal/moderate Republican party in opposition. But that's never going to happen. The republican party keeps moving rightwards and democrats keep moving to the center to counter that instead of moving to the left.

The only solution is a strong progressive/left third party. And that's not going to ever happen either.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

What do you mean by the left keeps losing? Democrats picked up 41 house seats in 2018, their best since Watergate, plus 7 governorships, and we have a good chance of taking both the Senate and White House in November.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One that isn't beholden to the rantings of a failed businessman and his numerous sycophants.

I mean, the GOP literally sounds like a cult at this moment in time.

hahaha
A proper conservative party is still a party full of racist bigoted xenophobic rich white assholes. Like they were before Trump and like they were for the past long 60 years almost.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018

Just a thought but maybe being more welcoming of Conservatives than the Left is likely to blow up in your face one day.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
When did the GOP had any kind of sanity? we are doing this again of forgetting that Republican presidents bombed the shit out of brown people?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
When did the GOP had any kind of sanity? we are doing this again of forgetting that Republican presidents bombed the shit out of brown people?
So did Democrat Presidents. That's not the issue at hand here, at least from Pelosi's viewpoint. The issue is that, since Nixon's Southern Strategy, the GOP has been courting more and more radical racists, or alternatively/concurrently, those people have been getting a greater and greater stranglehold over the party.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are all just dumb rubes who don't realize these 4d political strategies have been working wonders these past decades.
If after 2018 and the 2020 Dem primary you're still thinking Dem's are wasting their time targeting the middle of the electorate then you're either ignorant or dont care about losing purple/red elections. It's not 4D chess just because folks cant understand what she's always repeating and following through on.

Oct 27, 2017
So did Democrat Presidents. That's not the issue at hand here, at least from Pelosi's viewpoint. The issue is that, since Nixon's Southern Strategy, the GOP has been courting more and more radical racists, or alternatively/concurrently, those people have been getting a greater and greater stranglehold over the party.
It's the evangelicals.

Jun 10, 2018
A proper conservative party is still a party full of racist bigoted xenophobic rich white assholes. Like they were before Trump and like they were for the past long 60 years almost.
There's no point. Just let people keep exposing themselves that what they truly want is for the quiet part to not be said out loud again (i.e the "normalcy" and "decency" they pine for)

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure she's courting moderates or something, but it's a slap in the face to any democrat with a decent grasp of history. Fuck the two party system anyway. It hasn't done America any favors.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
She's trying to appeal to moderate conservatives I don't know why so many people are angry with this message during election season.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans have been a net negative on this country, so frankly the party can go extinct. Fuck 'em. An anchoring party has never created positive outcomes for this country.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They will parade Black women as the soul of the Party, then say they need the Party that worships a failed Confederacy that enslaved said Black women.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
The problem with having your representatives and senators in office so long is they all become a clique where they pretend to be in conflict.
Very true.

However, to be somewhat sympathetic to Pelosi, you should be able to have lunch with politicians from across the aisle and discuss policy details, because your opponents shouldn't be literal fascists.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
Basic political theater going right over people's heads.
They govern like this as well. It isn't political theatre if it's an accurate encalsulation of her Democratic Parties governing theory. They care more about well off Suburbanite Republicans who are annoyed at Trumps behavior but largely accept much of the GOP policy portfolio than they care about working people, unions or the poor. Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi can fuck off into the sun, the Democratic Party has died under the stewardship of clowns like them.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Trolling republicans to what end? They know they like Trump. When Democrats make these statements ... it's just bizarre. surely she would prefer to have that tiny percentage of voters who are uncomfortable with the party to vote for dems - not "take back" a competing party that's strong enough to oppose her. Also your last point is just ridiculous - the country gains nothing from having a Conservative party lol

like I can't overstate how much better this country would have been if we didn't have republicans in power for just 20 years.

pretzel

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 9, 2019
Germany
So, what happened to the "whatever it takes" mantra? Already thrown out of the window?
Are we really so sure about a victory in November?

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
She's trying to appeal to moderate conservatives I don't know why so many people are angry with this message during election season.

The people who are angry are the ones who value posturing and appearing morally and politically pure over attaining any actual power, so that shouldn't come as a surprise. I'm of the opinion that the very best Republican is worse than the worst Democrat and that the GOP has brought absolutely nothing in terms of progress to the US in decades, so I completely disagree with Pelosi here, but this is very clearly a ploy to drive traditional conservatives away from Trump by emphasizing what a clusterfuck the Republican party has become under him.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Trolling republicans to what end? They know they like Trump. When Democrats make these statements ... it's just bizarre. surely she would prefer to have those voters who are uncomfortable with the party to vote for dems - not "take back" a competing party that's strong enough to oppose her. Also your last point is just ridiculous - the country gains nothing from having a Conservative party lol
The country doesn't need a Conservative party, and I don't necessarily think that's what she is saying. She is saying the country needs some kind of opposition party, because a one-party system would be tantamount to fascism. The Republicans are the opposition party, and she wants them to abandon the path they've been on for several decades.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Just to say to the crowd who buys this lady's bullshit or chuck's bullshit fuck you.

I won't be voting that much longer or at all after biden might not again till I see real things to vote for. These fuckers lock step have always been serving the rich or themselves and that's the way it always will be. This is why some nonvoters in rust belt states never give a shit. We don't need political gangs.

I sincerely hope the koolaid drinkers of left politics wakesup.

like I can't overstate how much better this country would have been if we didn't have republicans in power for just 20 years.

You can take that line all the way back to WW2 or Civil Rights movement.

Oct 27, 2017
They govern like this as well. It isn't political theatre if it's an accurate encalsulation of her Democratic Parties governing theory. They care more about well off Suburbanite Republicans who are annoyed at Trumps behavior but largely accept much of the GOP policy portfolio than they care about working people, unions or the poor. Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi can fuck off into the sun, the Democratic Party has died under the stewardship of clowns like them.
This is my feeling. The Democratic party didn't want Obama either. Now they take credit for his win. I vote Democrat because it's the only logical vote in this nation.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
If after 2018 and the 2020 Dem primary you're still thinking Dem's are wasting their time targeting the middle of the electorate then you're either ignorant or dont care about losing purple/red elections. It's not 4D chess just because folks cant understand what she's always repeating and following through on.
Winning by becoming moderate Republicans is hardly winning. Winning like that does very little for working people. You can understand the necessity of it to counter Trump, and still tell Nancy to fuck off because it does nothing for us in the long term and these people will be right back in the Republican column the moment they nominate someone who doesn't say the quiet part out loud. Some people actually care about what the party will actually do, this isn't just some tactic, it's her whole awful political philosophy and she shouldn't be applauded for it. And yet we somehow owe then our votes? If Trump wasn't a literal fascist they wouldn't be getting my vote, amd I say this as someone exhausted, who has worked for them in 2016, and who has never voted for anyone else. There has to, at some point be consequences. Eventually the left will have to become the Tea Party, tactically, especially in blue districts. Having a moderate right wing party the relies on the votes of progressives to counter another more strident, right wing party is unsustainable beyond this election unless democrats stop expecting votes from people they clearly disdain, and do not represent. Honestly, good luck to them with John q. Culdesac, they obviously value his squishy ass over me. Let's see if they are correct that they don't need progressives to win elections (after 2020). It's about time they start actually earning our vote.

Last edited:

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell the amount of "the already right-wing party needs a nazi party to keep them in check." Centrism is brain poison.

I think maybe the Dems are over-correcting for how badly the "deplorables" thing went in 2016.

I maintain that everyone took the wrong lesson from that and the main reason is backfired is because Hillary backed off rather than doubling down like Trump would.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017

Posts like these show how warped opinions are on this forum. We certainly are a bubble, and are left of a lot of people. We sure as hell aren't a "leftist" forum given the problematic discussions we have on race, economics, LGBT issues and voting. And I'm not even gonna respond with this "the Left keeps losing" narrative.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The country doesn't need a Conservative party, and I don't necessarily think that's what she is saying. She is saying the country needs some kind of opposition party, because a one-party system would be tantamount to fascism. The Republicans are the opposition party, and she wants them to abandon the path they've been on for several decades.
I was responding to
I like the Dems, but a one-party rule of them is dangerous and unsustainable for a country.
Maybe you were aware of this?

I mean dems wouldn't have one party control because republicans would just update their ideology or start a new party. But yeah... no... this country would be better off w/ dems leading everywhere. The state of the current opposition is basically fascism and its been this way for decades.

like even if you think there's a deeper utility to having dems be kept on their toes (so to speak). I don't expect this to come from the majority leader of the party that is yet to win... republicans are still in power and we're already talking about how they need to be a stronger party

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was responding to

Maybe you were aware of this?

I mean dems wouldn't have one party control because republicans would just update their ideology or start a new party. But yeah... no... this country would be better off w/ dems leading everywhere. The state of the current opposition is basically fascism and its been this way for decades.
I think the goal is to have the Republican party modernize and abandon the ghost of Nixon's Southern Strategy, at least from my perspective. I think Democrats having almost uncontested control for a time would help get us in that direction.