Oct 27, 2017
Been watching boruto recently and the child labor aspect of this world just kind of hit me. I know I should have noticed earlier but damn. You'd think they'd keep the kids out of the line or fire, but nope. Let's give these guys security detail and dangerous missions.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Its weird yeah, but you have to consider a few years prior that there was basically wars all the time, so villages basically needed all hands on deck.

Plus these kids are born with these talents and you gotta teach em properly. Others there just gonna up trying to teach themselves and end up killing each other.

Plus the adults are handling important stuff whilst the kids just do menial tasks. Its only narutos team that ended up fighting a fucking mid tier boss on there sorta first mission

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
People were trained from childhood to become ninja, it's not like it was some career choice you made when you were older, so the manga just takes that and embellishes it in the usual shonen way.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Its weird yeah, but you have to consider a few years prior that there was basically wars all the time, so villages basically needed all hands on deck.

Plus these kids are born with these talents and you gotta teach em properly. Others there just gonna up trying to teach themselves and end up killing each other.

Plus the adults are handling important stuff whilst the kids just do menial tasks. Its only narutos team that ended up fighting a fucking mid tier boss on there sorta first mission
That we know of anyways. Like the sound 4 arc was crazy too. Hey kids, we really need this kid brought back to the village and you might die, but I can't go with u to help out. Good luck you little shits!

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol according to supplementary material Kakashi graduated the ninja academy at age five and was a chunin by age 6.

Like come the fuck on

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. They're child soldiers basically, and some of them abilities to nuke cities. Might as well train them from an early age.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's far more weird seeing modern tech popping up considering how much of the world is depicted.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It's not really weird. More like consistent with history. They're obviously living in "the past".

Child labor was only outlawed in the US like what, 80 years ago?

Oct 26, 2017
It's even more weird that it's never made out to be a huuuuuge deal in the manga.
I mean, like a "we need to abolish and change this" type of deal.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
In Shippuden the villages send messages by bird. In Boruto, they just pick up a phone and call. In less then 20 years (estimated) technology advanced at an amazing rate unless I'm missing something.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's not really weird. More like consistent with history. They're obviously living in "the past".

Child labor was only outlawed in the US like what, 80 years ago?
If you look at the world surrounding them they're living in more or less the present, but in a world where disputes and warfare are carried out by elite ninja militias operating on behalf of national governments.

In Shippuden the villages send messages by bird. In Boruto, they just pick up a phone and call. In less then 20 years (estimated) technology advanced at an amazing rate unless I'm missing something.
At the end of Naruto, after the time skip, he's got a MacBook on his desk. During Naruto they have television. The whole bird thing is just traditional espionage, really.

Oct 27, 2017
It always bothered they have modern equipment but they still fight with knifes and the whole world is simultaneously still stuck in feudal Japan.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. They kinda needed all hands on deck during the Naruto and even before he was born. Boruto is shortly after Naruto ended the wars.

These kids have freakish abilities that range from teleportation, advance biological advantages to straight up nuclear attacks that easily annihilates most restrictive laws and practices thats are in place for out world to function properly.

Nov 17, 2017
One thing that is easy to miss is that the world has basically been in a constant state of war with only brief periods of "peace" in between. The war at the end of the series is called the FOURTH Shinobi War. When you think about the fact that the 3rd Hokage was in the first shinobi war as a young man, you realize it's probably only been like 60-80 years with 4 major wars in that time period. That's only counting the era in which the ninja villages existed, right before that it was the warring states period which was even more bloody. Every time a major ninja war occurs there are a bunch of casualties and that's ignoring any smaller conflicts between those wars.

The reason they have kids learning to be ninja and fighting from so young is because they literally can't keep up with the death toll. Like imagine if they didn't train these kids from that age, how short would they be on capable fighters all the times shit went down in the series? Naruto and his friends have it considerably well off just compared to the generation before them. When Kakashi was around their age, he had to go off into actual war.

It's even more weird that it's never made out to be a huuuuuge deal in the manga.
I mean, like a "we need to abolish and change this" type of deal.
It's the whole reason Hashirama and Madara founded the Hidden Leaf Village and the driving force behind why Madara wants to cast the Infinite Tsukiyomi. It's also addressed via Jiraiya's philosophies which he passes down to Naruto and Nagato. A big theme in the manga is stopping the cycle of hatred and war. The only reason the children have to fight is because of how much war is waged in their world.

It always bothered they have modern equipment but they still fight with knifes and the whole world is simultaneously still stuck in feudal Japan.
I think because of chakra they developed less weapons technology because they never really needed it. I think normal soldiers with guns would probably not stand a chance against most ninja in the show considering what they're capable of. Plus, the various clans are very ingrained in their culture and clan secret techniques. Passing down their jutsu from one generation to the next is such a big deal that I imagine a lot of it is a traditional thing. Technology also seems to be held back due to the constant war and isolationism going on between all the nations. That's probably why when all the nations unify at the end of the series there's suddenly this jump of technological advancement because the nations were able to openly share with each other and not just focus on warfare.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I find the Naruto world weirdly anachronistic. The timeline is clearly supposed to be modern because Ninjas have access to electricity, cameras, computers, movies, etc. but at the same time I don't remember anybody having a car, farm work is still done entirely by pre-industrial means, and even the clothing in the show is a mix of old styles mixed together with modern concepts (some characters run around in robes, others are sporting fucking kevlar vests).

Furthermore, why the fuck has nobody figured out guns? I mean I get that Ninjas and Chakra and magic and shit kinda make them seem underwhelming by comparison, but you're telling me nobody in the ninja world would rather have an assault rifle instead of a pocket full of kunai?

Oct 27, 2017
I think because of chakra they developed less weapons technology because they never really needed it. I think normal soldiers with guns would probably not stand a chance against most ninja in the show considering what they're capable of. Plus, the various clans are very ingrained in their culture and clan secret techniques. Passing down their jutsu from one generation to the next is such a big deal that I imagine a lot of it is a traditional thing. Technology also seems to be held back due to the constant war and isolationism going on between all the nations. That's probably why when all the nations unify at the end of the series there's suddenly this jump of technological advancement because the nations were able to openly share with each other and not just focus on warfare.

Sorry but that's a poor excuse. Someone had to develop all that modern stuff and you can't tell me they were all ninjas.

Nov 17, 2017
Sorry but that's a poor excuse. Someone had to develop all that modern stuff and you can't tell me they were all ninjas.
It's not an excuse. It's just an explanation supported by the lore and story. Beyond that, they are personal choices by Kishimoto to have a certain aesthetic. He initially didn't want there to be guns or cars and only wanted technology to be to a certain level and wrote the story around that. It definitely doesn't match up perfectly with how technology developed in the real world but it's a fantasy world so there's no reason to believe all technology would develop parallel to ours. Being able to create a camera doesn't mean you can create a gun or would think to create one.

Also I never said it was only ninjas who developed technology. There are people in Naruto who aren't ninjas and they seem to hold all the normal roles in society including developing technology. However you asked why they didn't have modern advanced weaponry and well, the only people who fight are ninjas. There's less of a need to come up with things like firearms and cannons when you have ninja who can spit giant fireballs. The way warfare develops is going to revolve around the ninjas and how they do things. They control that and they happen to value tradition and passing down old techniques and developing said techniques over developing new technologies.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It's far more weird seeing modern tech popping up considering how much of the world is depicted.
That always weirded me out when I was younger too. I remember at some point during the chunin exam, it showed someone watching surveillance footage on tvs, and I was like "THEY HAVE TVs?"

The show might as well be set in Zelda times for the vast majority of what's depicted

Yung Kyubii

Banned
May 12, 2018
Ye it's weird and it helps explaining/easing "plot holes". They do not have the same standards we have.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Tazuna (bridge maker) use a motorboat or pick up truck during the Zabuza arc? And I remember seeing a panel of a wide angle shot of Konohagakure showing that there was a huge modern city behind the bordering mountain? Was that at the end of Naruto, or the beginning of Boruto?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
That always weirded me out when I was younger too. I remember at some point during the chunin exam, it showed someone watching surveillance footage on tvs, and I was like "THEY HAVE TVs?"

The show might as well be set in Zelda times for the vast majority of what's depicted
I remember having a wtf moment when one of the movies had a kid a gameboy.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not an excuse. It's just an explanation supported by the lore and story. Beyond that, they are personal choices by Kishimoto to have a certain aesthetic. He initially didn't want there to be guns or cars and only wanted technology to be to a certain level and wrote the story around that. It definitely doesn't match up perfectly with how technology developed in the real world but it's a fantasy world so there's no reason to believe all technology would develop parallel to ours. Being able to create a camera doesn't mean you can create a gun or would think to create one.

Also I never said it was only ninjas who developed technology. There are people in Naruto who aren't ninjas and they seem to hold all the normal roles in society including developing technology. However you asked why they didn't have modern advanced weaponry and well, the only people who fight are ninjas. There's less of a need to come up with things like firearms and cannons when you have ninja who can spit giant fireballs. The way warfare develops is going to revolve around the ninjas and how they do things. They control that and they happen to value tradition and passing down old techniques and developing said techniques over developing new technologies.

But technology usually makes sudden jumps in wars, not the other way around. Unless there happened some World War 4 type worldwide genocide in one of the ninja wars that set back society as a whole. And there is no evidence in the show to support that. It even contradicts itself at times. Why have medical equipment if you can just instantly heal people with magic for example?

Also even with armies of elite soldiers around, someone at some point had to come up with the idea of an army consisting of normal men that make up their weakness by numbers. That's literally what happened in the japanese middle ages.

Oct 29, 2017

And that was because Tazuna lied about the scale of the mission, and Naruto convinced the team to go along with it by...stabbing himself in the hand?

But yeah. While their dependency on child soldiers in any capacity is still a moral blight (and caused as many problems as it solved, in hindsight), the village system is actually a massive improvement over the pre-Konoha days. Hashirama and Madara formed Konoha in large part because so many kids were being slaughtered in the wars when they were little that the average life expectancy was in the 30s.

The world of Naruto is a fucked up mess, and I'm not surprised that so many of these kids grew up to be omnicidal lunatics hellbent on destroying it.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
And I remember seeing a panel of a wide angle shot of Konohagakure showing that there was a huge modern city behind the bordering mountain? Was that at the end of Naruto, or the beginning of Boruto?
The end of Naruto and the Beginning of Boruto are in the same time period, but yes, there was a large city behind them. It was built up in the lengthy time of peace in the second time skip.

The problem with this thread is that a lot of people don't realize, or forget, that the ninja villages we see in the story are that: Ninja villages. Konohagakure is a militia of sorts in the service of the Land of Fire, a much larger country. That country would presumably have further towns, villages, and cities populated by normal people, who would be developing normal technology like televisions and such. You see one of those cities when Boruto is assigned to protect the shogun's kid. Anyway, all the conflict we see is between the ninja villages, or outside elements looking to subvert that village system. The civilians of that world don't come into play.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, the theme of child soldiers was definitely prevalent, the whole idea was that Naruto was supposed to change this. He was going to make the world better, but.... what did he change in the end? I mean, if Boruto is to be believed, somebody just destroyed the village anyway. So... he didn't change anything in the end, did he?

Oct 29, 2017
Y'know, the theme of child soldiers was definitely prevalent, the whole idea was that Naruto was supposed to change this. He was going to make the world better, but.... what did he change in the end? I mean, if Boruto is to be believed, somebody just destroyed the village anyway. So... he didn't change anything in the end, did he?

There is no money for Shueisha in a peaceful Konoha.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Hashirama and Madara flashback was one of the best parts of the manga. The rare time it felt like it took a truly hard look at how fucked up the Naruto world really is.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hashirama and Madara flashback was one of the best parts of the manga. The rare time it felt like it took a truly hard look at how fucked up the Naruto world really is.

Informative side story, but very poorly placed right in the middle of the climatic battle that caused it to be dragged on for far too long.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Getting to ninja school in boruto is a legit carreer path, these people goes on to become firemen, news anchor, delivery man, actors, researcher etc. It's not just about being soldier.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Kirigakure before and after. Village turned into disneyland after the war.

latest

Still disappointed we never get to see much the steampunk village.
Hidden Rain Village
d9jt5g8l3mt11.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Child labor aspect? This is the same world where the plot was basically, put the power of one of the most feared mythical beasts in existence into the infant son of one of their greatest heros, then basically shun the boy and hope that his cheerful attitude persists and that he loves the village and other people anyway, right? And not become, oh I dunno, some sullen guy that ends up hating the village for mistreating him, like his best friend.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
Which is especially hilarious since he leans on the Sharingan waaaay too much for that be the case.

Really how many kids create a technique like chidori.

Not really, he only relied on it afterwards. It's the same reason why people are thought long division even though we have calculator.

Or why memorized facts when google exist.

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Really how many kids create a technique like chidori.

Not really, he only relied on it afterwards. It's the same reason why people are thought long division even though we have calculator.

Or why memorized facts when google exist.

Don't we see him using it to the point of exhaustion at several points though? I understand that it's an "Always on" situation for him, but he always pushed it. It just seems he could to some traditional fighting/Jutsu first (Considering he was a toddler genius apparently) before he uses the thing that drains his stamina the quickest? (With the one caveat being "Gotta end this fast")

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Not really on topic but did anyone else find it how modern the world looked during filler arcs? Like, the world has a really consistent look to it but I remember during a filler arc seeing Naruto's parents hanging out in their house while the mom cooked on a stove. It looked like a modern kitchen but with Naruto characters, shit was whack.

Apparently that look is very present in Baruto if that Yu-Gi-Oh GX ass city posted above is anything to go by.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
One thing that is easy to miss is that the world has basically been in a constant state of war with only brief periods of "peace" in between. The war at the end of the series is called the FOURTH Shinobi War. When you think about the fact that the 3rd Hokage was in the first shinobi war as a young man, you realize it's probably only been like 60-80 years with 4 major wars in that time period. That's only counting the era in which the ninja villages existed, right before that it was the warring states period which was even more bloody. Every time a major ninja war occurs there are a bunch of casualties and that's ignoring any smaller conflicts between those wars.

The reason they have kids learning to be ninja and fighting from so young is because they literally can't keep up with the death toll. Like imagine if they didn't train these kids from that age, how short would they be on capable fighters all the times shit went down in the series? Naruto and his friends have it considerably well off just compared to the generation before them. When Kakashi was around their age, he had to go off into actual war.

It's the whole reason Hashirama and Madara founded the Hidden Leaf Village and the driving force behind why Madara wants to cast the Infinite Tsukiyomi. It's also addressed via Jiraiya's philosophies which he passes down to Naruto and Nagato. A big theme in the manga is stopping the cycle of hatred and war. The only reason the children have to fight is because of how much war is waged in their world.

True, but it looks like he didn't change anything and now actively encourages his son and others to go on dangerous machines. Some even more dangerous than he went on at that age.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the first Naruto movies depicted the rest of the world with modern technology while the ninja villages were literally hidden villages protecting the world governments.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
True, but it looks like he didn't change anything and now actively encourages his son and others to go on dangerous machines. Some even more dangerous than he went on at that age.

This is actually brought up in Boruto, about how the world has changed (specifically because of Naruto's influence), and how even in the ninja villages not everyone opts to become a ninja anymore.

In fact, it's explicitly mentioned, right before their Genin exam, that if Boruto picked another path in life, his parents would support him.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
But technology usually makes sudden jumps in wars, not the other way around. Unless there happened some World War 4 type worldwide genocide in one of the ninja wars that set back society as a whole. And there is no evidence in the show to support that. It even contradicts itself at times. Why have medical equipment if you can just instantly heal people with magic for example?

Also even with armies of elite soldiers around, someone at some point had to come up with the idea of an army consisting of normal men that make up their weakness by numbers. That's literally what happened in the japanese middle ages.
You keep comparing it to our world history but it's a fantasy world which means technology does not necessarily advance parallel to ours because things are different about this world the major thing being chakra. Just cause they have electricity doesn't mean they have guns. Technology advances during our wars because we use those technologies for warfare. In the Naruto world, they fight wars with ninjutsu, genjutsu, taijutsu so that is primarily what advances every war. And that's not to say technology hasn't advanced at all it just advanced in different areas because of what ninja are capable of. Medical equipment is not a good comparison because it's not used for fighting.

You say that at some point someone had to come up with armies of normal men but they literally never did. Ninjas are the only ones who fight in the series. They far outpace any normal human so there's hardly any point. And it's not like ninjas are some elite minority. There are a bunch of ninjas. Elite and just basic.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017

Medical ninjitsu like other ninjitsu requires speciality and a certain amount of chakra. Everybody just can't use it. Which is why they have medical tools.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
I wish kishi damn explored some of the finer details of the world, becasue the broader scale aspects of it I find very interesting. I wanna explore all the villages. Remember Blood Mist village, the bloodline genocides? I don't know jack about Iwagakure, and Kumo looks cool, but we don't really know anything or how people live there.

Nov 17, 2017
It's not as if Naruto could completely end all wars and violence and stop anyone evil from doing anything ever again.

What he did do was usher in a period of peace between the nations and an end to war. It's already made a point that ninja are not as needed in Boruto as they were in the past and things are much easier now. One of the complaints a lot of people had about the Chuunin Exams in Boruto was how easy they seemed compared to Naruto's where they let kids loose in a forest to kill each other and didn't make a big deal of it. But of course that's the point. There's no need to go that hard anymore.