Forerunner

Resetufologist
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Reaching a major milestone, engineers have successfully connected the two halves of NASA's James Webb Space Telescope for the first time at Northrop Grumman's facilities in Redondo Beach, California. Once it reaches space, NASA's most powerful and complex space telescope will explore the cosmos using infrared light, from planets and moons within our solar system to the most ancient and distant galaxies.

right.jpeg

Information about the launch:

jwst.nasa.gov

The Launch - Webb/NASA

The James Webb Space Telescope (sometimes called Webb or JWST) is a large infrared telescope with a 6.5-meter primary mirror. Webb is the premier observatory of the next decade, serving thousands of astronomers worldwide. It studies every phase in the history of our Universe, ranging from the...

Launch Date

Webb will launch in 2021.

Launch Vehicle

The James Webb Space Telescope will be launched on an Ariane 5 rocket. The launch vehicle is part of the European contribution to the mission. The Ariane 5 is one of the world's most reliable launch vehicles capable of delivering Webb to its destination in space. The European Space Agency (ESA) has agreed to provide an Ariane 5 launcher and associated launch services to NASA for Webb. The Ariane 5's record for successful consecutive launches is 80 (as of June 28, 2017).

Launch Location

Webb will be launched from Arianespace's ELA-3 launch complex at European Spaceport located near Kourou, French Guiana. It is beneficial for launch sites to be located near the equator - the spin of the Earth can help give an additional push. The surface of the Earth at the equator is moving at 1670 km/hr.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cannot wait to see what this is capable of compared to the Hubble. The high level analysis provided by Wikipedia really gets my imagination going.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I remember when this was supposed to be in its orbit before the end of the decade. Well, at the least, one productive thing assembled in the USA is escaping the country and Trump's tyranny should he get re-elected.

I hope the the back of the solar panel says, "See ya suckers" in binary.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking awesome! However, I got a bad feeling something is going to go wrong such as them finding a major error while it is in space and there would be no feasible way to currently fix it.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Launch Vehicle

The James Webb Space Telescope will be launched on an Ariane 5 rocket. The launch vehicle is part of the European contribution to the mission. The Ariane 5 is one of the world's most reliable launch vehicles capable of delivering Webb to its destination in space. The European Space Agency (ESA) has agreed to provide an Ariane 5 launcher and associated launch services to NASA for Webb. The Ariane 5's record for successful consecutive launches is 80 (as of June 28, 2017).

Great job jinxing it, guys. /s

What is L2?
OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

L2 is short-hand for the second Lagrange Point, a wonderful accident of gravity and orbital mechanics, and the perfect place to park the Webb telescope in space. There are five so-called "Lagrange Points" - areas where gravity from the sun and Earth balance the orbital motion of a satellite. Putting a spacecraft at any of these points allows it to stay in a fixed position relative to the Earth and sun with a minimal amount of energy needed for course correction.

464173main_L2_Webb_rework.jpg

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
There is no fixing this like the Hubble if something goes wrong due to its final positioning. It's a significant effort and I am very anxious about its deployment.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
This better work because this came at a big cost that affected other projects.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
truly scary thing is that if there is any mechanical problem the whole project is screwed because we can't send anybody to fix it this time like we did the hubble telescope. we better make sure it works the first time.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
On a purely engineering level, this thing already beggars belief. Then you add the casual fact that it's going to space. Throw in the fact it's going to be stationed past the moon and damn, if you aren't impressed by that, I doubt you could ever be.

I have had my fingers crossed for this since I heard about it many years ago and despite being saddened a little by the delays to the launch schedule, I would wait another 10 years if it meant that this thing worked perfectly. Because it has to.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Launch in 2021 now? brutal. ~_~

Here's hoping everything works out. Would be a huge setback for IR astronomy if something goes wrong.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
After the LHC this is probably the most impressive scientific instrument ever built. It's not surprising that it has taken decades for it to come together.

Yep. This makes the hubble look like it was a kid's toy made of felt and cardboard in a way. I'm definitely very glad they've been taking the effort to make sure that it's up to standards.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
No negativity please, Jimmy Dubs needs all our spirit power for a routine, boring launch and deployment.

Congratulations to everyone involved!