• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe anything that relies on the big bang theory. I can't convince myself that the universe began at any point we can actually measure.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
*while looking into a mirror* Holy shit y'all its a universe where everything is exactly like ours but rotated on an axis!!!

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
I feel like "forward" and "backwards" are relative terms that imply a defined beginning and end.

I'm going to chalk this one up to "I don't understand the underlying physics well enough"

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Err... the Daily Star?

The Daily Star which is essentially breasts and football yes?

The one where most of the wikipedia article is "controversies" about them fabricating stories?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe anything that relies on the big bang theory. I can't convince myself that the universe began at any point we can actually measure.

Uh, is this a joke post?

That the big bang happened isn't really up for debate, it definitely did. We have no way to measure what happened before it though or what the cause of it was.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And to think - in that universe they're struggling to stop the "big bang".

Wait, how did they have a TV show called "The Big Bang Theory" if they're going backwards in time? They wouldn't have had a big bang yet. Perhaps the "theory" in that tv show is that the big bang will eventually destroy their universe. 🤔

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NASA measured something that doesn't fit our current understanding of particle physics. Theoretical physicists then came up with a multitude of theories to possibly suggest what it is.

Crackhead news organizations then cherrypicked one theory and wrote some click bait bullshit headline to shove a bunch of advertising down your throats.

End of thread.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, is this a joke post?

That the big bang happened isn't really up for debate, it definitely did. We have no way to measure what happened before it though or what the cause of it was.

The universe began from something before it? Which means there was something before that that made the big bang and its reaction? And since i believe space has no bonds...i believe there was more than a single atom that created created this.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Soooo everything happens in reverse? Like the aftermath of an event that wipes out humans transitions to humans at their height, and slowly over time the technology and humans devolve...neat and absolutely terrifying if you're from this universe

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
So the quick summary on this, based on this article from a few years ago (which is at least not sensationalised), is:

A NASA experiment over Antarctica hoping to measure neutrinos hitting Earth from space instead measured cosmic rays hitting it from below, meaning they had gone through a significant amount of rock. The energy involved was high enough that they shouldn't have been able to go through the planet without hitting something. Therefore, there is no immediately obvious explanation for what happened.

Possible explanations include environmental conditions that produced a reading matching the circumstances above from a different scenario, or a previously unknown physics phenomenon, or astronomically unlikely circumstances producing multiple false readings out of nowhere...and probably a list of others. And then also the time-running-backwards universe.

Another thing to bear in mind is that at least a few of the scientists involved appear to have decided that it's not worth worrying about how the press reports this, with one saying of an earlier Tweet:

Fox says he's not worried that it will be overblown by the public or the scientific press. "We're just out here on Twitter talking and having fun."

In what universe is that the simple explanation?
It really might be the simplest explanation, with simplest not meaning "most likely" or "best", but instead meaning "the explanation within the Standard Model which uses the lowest number of words".

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The universe began from something before it? Which means there was something before that that made the big bang and its reaction? And since i believe space has no bonds...i believe there was more than a single atom that created created this.
We dont know if the Universe began from something before it, thats not what the Big Bang is. We just know that it appeared and it expanded from an infinitely small point.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Before the Big Bang was the mass of the universe but in a very tiny, tiny spot. You believe space has no bonds, and that's cool, but that is your belief; there is no evidence to suggest otherwise, cause we can't measure something outside of spacetime.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Every time I've heard scientists explain parallel universes and multiverses it makes perfect sense to me. Then I read that thread title and I was all confused. Big if true and all that though. Not to me but to someone somewhere. In the future or indeed in my relative past.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
2DI6z.jpg

Birds are around if one is sick like that

Holy shit. Hahaha

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Space has no bonds... Pardon? What do you mean by that?

There was potentially something before the big bang, we don't know, because any evidence of such would have been destroyed by the extreme density and temperature at that point. The big bang theory doesn't say anything about what happened before in any way. It is simply a result of observable expansions of the universe everywhere, which is constant and requires that it of course all started from a single point, which we know to have been about 13.8billion years ago.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo everything happens in reverse? Like the aftermath of an event that wipes out humans transitions to humans at their height, and slowly over time the technology and humans devolve...neat and absolutely terrifying if you're from this universe
If we run with this (for the sake of discussion, more than for the sake of realism), everything happens in that universe in the correct order, for that universe. Just like in our universe, everything happens in what we perceive as the correct order.

Those orders just happen to be the reverse of each other. To us, we are going forwards and they are going backwards. To them, they are going forwards and we are going backwards. Cosmic rays from our universe are causing weird backwards-time explanations on their physics experiments, and they're talking about the weird backwards-time universe that they imagine them to be coming from.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
If we run with this (for the sake of discussion, more than for the sake of realism), everything happens in that universe in the correct order, for that universe. Just like in our universe, everything happens in what we perceive as the correct order.

Those orders just happen to be the reverse of each other. To us, we are going forwards and they are going backwards. To them, they are going forwards and we are going backwards. Cosmic rays from our universe are causing weird backwards-time explanations on their physics experiments, and they're talking about the weird backwards-time universe that they imagine them to be coming from.

Right I was more saying, imagine being from this universe then being transported to this parallel universe.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe we have to put up with Anti-Big Bangers too.

Personally, I like the conjecture that there is really only one electron in the universe that is constantly pinging back and forth in time from the big bang to the end and back, endlessly, just because of how batshit it is.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Before the Big Bang, no laws of physics exists. So anything can happen.

"Dusts hands"

That's how it all makes sense to me.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry i don't believe someone made a space big enough where billions of galaxies with trillions of stars are constantly falling at unheard of speeds and yet never hit anything.

The universe is expanding....into what? More space? Where is that extra space coming from? You're also telling me the galaxies we see are the only ones that exist?

There are still so many signals scientists can't pick up and measure...but damn I'm just a anti big banger because there are far more questions than answered on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.