Forerunner

Resetufologist
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
www.nasa.gov

NASA Readies James Webb Space Telescope for December Launch - NASA

NASA plans to launch the James Webb Space Telescope into orbit Dec. 18, 2021, to serve as the premier deep space observatory for the next decade.

32826923170_64226d3e3c_o.jpg

NASA plans to launch the James Webb Space Telescope into orbit Dec. 18, 2021, to serve as the premier deep space observatory for the next decade.

"Webb is an exemplary mission that signifies the epitome of perseverance," said Gregory L. Robinson, Webb's program director at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "I am inspired by our dedicated team and our global partnerships that have made this incredible endeavor possible. Together, we've overcome technical obstacles along the way as well as challenges during the coronavirus pandemic. I also am grateful for the steadfast support of Congress. Now that we have an observatory and a rocket ready for launch, I am looking forward to the big day and the amazing science to come."

The Webb telescope's revolutionary technology will explore every phase of cosmic history – from within our solar system to the most distant observable galaxies in the early universe, and everything in between. Webb will reveal new and unexpected discoveries, and help humankind understand the origins of the universe and our place in it.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
I wish it luck. There is so much riding on this launch. I will be very, very nervous till it fully deploys.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope nothing goes wrong.

I was shocked when how far out it's going. there's no way to repair like there was with hubble

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Awesome news and really hoping all goes well. The opportunities for this technology are beyond exciting!

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Aw shoot, December it is then. I was hoping for november.

Best of luck to everyone involved in this.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost hard to believe it's actually launching. I hope all goes well and that we get some sweet pictures ASAP.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've been anticipating this for 20 years. It will be surreal when it actually is operational.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Finally! Does anyone else feel like we've been waiting for this for like a decade? I hope this becomes as much of a game changer as Hubble was.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This thing is going to break the simulation by observing the far ends of the universe in such insane detail.

I kid, but damn I can't wait for this.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to hopefully seeing the unexpected discoveries that no doubt this telescope will undercover.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Exciting!

I will be extremely nervous during launch and the following months. The potential this has but the time it's taken to get to this point would mean heartbreak if something goes wrong...

Hoping for the best!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see this thing, and look at the cost, and the time it's taken to develop, I picture an enormous fireball just after launch.

Ever the optimist.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it's finally launching soon, but I totally understand why it took so long. Aside from software issues, the telescope cannot be fixed once launched so it really is an all or nothing deal.

Have my fingers crossed for success.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for this thing to be up there to do real work.
Hoping all goes well and no more delays or setbacks

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah, best of luck Jimmy Dubs!

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is supposedly the thing that will get us much sharper images of things and that'll help us uncover much more about space right?

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Pardon my stupid but genuine question: what has been done in the last 7 years? This thing was supposed to ship in 2014, right? Did they continue working on it? Improving it? Continue performing tests?

Ugh, my butt is going into super clench mode when this launches.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Pardon my stupid but genuine question: what has been done in the last 7 years? This thing was supposed to ship in 2014, right? Did they continue working on it? Improving it? Continue performing tests?

Wikipedia has a good summary.

The last delay is due to ESA not NASA.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
NASA is also funding the building of Mach effect engine prototypes to prove whether or not they are feasible.

The 2020s will likely be looked back on as the decade humanity made a major leap in space exploration.

www.wired.com

Gravity, Gizmos, and a Grand Theory of Interstellar Travel

For decades, Jim Woodward dreamed of a propellantless engine to take humans to the stars. Now he thinks he’s got it. But is it revolutionary—or illusory?

Last edited:

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. Anyone know how long it will take until it can start sending pics back?
I believe hearing that will takes months after launch still but perhaps someone can correct me on this.

edit:
"Webb will undergo science and calibration testing once it reaches its orbit, so regular science operations and the best images will begin to arrive around six months after launch. However, it is normal to also take a series of "first light" images that may arrive slightly earlier."

webbtelescope.org

Mission & Launch Quick Facts

Answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the mission and launch of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST).

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is supposedly the thing that will get us much sharper images of things and that'll help us uncover much more about space right?

Yes it will give us imagery we have never been able to produce before.

They get one shot at this this. There have been huge testing and trouble shooting delays as a result.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
This thing is going to help fuel so many new discoveries. Fingers crossed it goes off without a hitch!

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Please work.
This is one of those critical moments in history that could potentially result in some groundbreaking scientific discoveries about our universe. This is another giant leap for mankind.
Please work.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone responsible of launching and setting it up must be sweating buckets.

Please don't explode, please don't break, please work.