• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this is real but I don't understand the posts in this thread that if it were real it would equal infinite energy. Since it requires energy input to work, and I'm assuming less energy would be coming out than going in, how could it equal infinite energy?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
No it wasn't.

It is not.

There's a common meme (in the original meaning of the word) that goes:
"Physics keeps getting rewritten all the time! Newton was wrong, which means so will Einstein be in the future! Here come flying cars!"

Newton was not wrong about gravity. For the limits of his experiments, he was completely correct. Inside the same limits, he still is.
Einstein did not wipe the slate clean, he offered merely (merely!) a refinement of Newton. For slow objects in flat spacetime, a bunch of the terms in general relativity go to zero and out pop Newton's laws.

The gaps in our knowledge of physics only ever shrink, and those gaps are never crowbarred open, merely filled in. It's getting harder and harder to do, but a reactionless drive will not be found in any of those gaps for the fundamental reason that any such thing would automatically be a perpetual motion / infinite energy machine, and there is nothing we are more certain of than the impossibility of that.

I was about to type out a bit of a rant, but now that I see your post, there's no need. Well said.

The pervasive idea of inevitable, infinite progress is as unfortunate as it is incorrect.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
No it wasn't.

It is not.

There's a common meme (in the original meaning of the word) that goes:
"Physics keeps getting rewritten all the time! Newton was wrong, which means so will Einstein be in the future! Here come flying cars!"

Newton was not wrong about gravity. For the limits of his experiments, he was completely correct. Inside the same limits, he still is.
Einstein did not wipe the slate clean, he offered merely (merely!) a refinement of Newton. For slow objects in flat spacetime, a bunch of the terms in general relativity go to zero and out pop Newton's laws.

The gaps in our knowledge of physics only ever shrink, and those gaps are never crowbarred open, merely filled in. It's getting harder and harder to do, but a reactionless drive will not be found in any of those gaps for the fundamental reason that any such thing would automatically be a perpetual motion / infinite energy machine, and there is nothing we are more certain of than the impossibility of that.
As much as i respect newton, he was wrong. he was wrong about thinking that when his calculations didnt work that it was god adjusting things

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is real but I don't understand the posts in this thread that if it were real it would equal infinite energy. Since it requires energy input to work, and I'm assuming less energy would be coming out than going in, how could it equal infinite energy?
The claim is that for some energy input in a certain time, you get a proportional force. This is a linear relationship.

because Newton's 2nd law: F=ma, the relationship to velocity is also linear. Add one Joule of energy, go 1m/s faster. Or 0.000001m/s faster, it doesn't matter.

Now, kinetic energy is given by

E=½mv²

The important bit is the v². The relationship is not linear but quadratic. Something moving twice as fast has four times as much kinetic energy.

So here's how to make an infinite energy machine with one of these drives:

Take a regular electric generator.
Mount a cross-bar on the axle.
Put the magic drive on one end of the bar.
Turn it on. The axle starts turning.

u9PaGsq.png

When the kinetic energy of the spinning axle is greater than the energy input of the drive, connect the two together. Now it will get faster forever and you can attach a second generator and extract as much energy as you like so long as you don't slow it down below the breakeven point.

7Dqe6h5.png

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
The claim is that for some energy input in a certain time, you get a proportional force. This is a linear relationship.

because Newton's 2nd law: F=ma, the relationship to velocity is also linear. Add one Joule of energy, go 1m/s faster. Or 0.000001m/s faster, it doesn't matter.

E=½mv²

The important bit is the v². The relationship is not linear but quadratic. Something moving twice as fast has four times as much kinetic energy.

u9PaGsq.png

When the kinetic energy of the spinning axle is greater than the energy input of the drive, connect the two together. Now it will get faster forever and you can attach a second generator and extract as much energy as you like so long as you don't slow it down below the breakeven point.

7Dqe6h5.png

How am I supposed to boil water with that?

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

E=½mv²

u9PaGsq.png

7Dqe6h5.png

Oh I see now, it was so simple all this time. These guys invented Gregtech in real life!

Oct 26, 2017

E=½mv²

u9PaGsq.png

7Dqe6h5.png
Thank you for your detailed explanation.