Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Next step in our understanding of the universe. Following its six month journey and set up will be nail biting each step of the way. Godspeed to the team.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Trailer is good. The launch got bumped to Christmas eve a few days ago. Hope it all goes well.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
I am super nervous about this mission. Think I heard that there is 344 points of failure, not including the launch.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
This will be one of the biggest achievements or biggest disasters in the history of space flight. One of the most important pieces of technology for defining our place in the universe, like Hubble before.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I'm definitely more nervous about the deployment than launch, yeah there are issues every now and then but launches are relatively routine at this point. Just getting it to it's intended location and then have everything work how it's supposed to out there is going to cause a lot of that team some sleepless nights for the next few months.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more nervous about this launch than any other launch I've followed in the past. I hope everything goes well and a new gateway of information opens up for science. Good luck!

OP
OP
Akai

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Legit nervous about this... but also so fucking excited for the possible imagery it could deliver

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
I keep forgetting this. It's like 5x further away than Hubble, right?

Not until it reaches its orbit safely and passes checks, which will take like 6 months I believe.
It's out there. WAY out there, in L2 orbit. Should something go wrong any future repair mission attempted would be 100% unmanned, which presents its own challenges.

Sp05G6Q.jpg

Last edited:

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
my body has never been more ready for new images of extreme quality of the cosmos

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
It's going to take a long time to get to that Lagrange point….gonna to be terrifying!

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I want this to work so bad. So much information it can uncover about the universe. Get real pics of black holes and all kinds of shit. This could unlock new theories and understanding which can result in so much advancement it's crazy to fathom.

The hard part is once the launch is successful it takes a good bit of time to get to its destination and then probably several weeks of system checks and tests before we will know for sure if it's operational. Might take upwards of a year to know for sure and get the first images back.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, the most amazing thing about this telescope would be if the deployment just works without any problems.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird that I'll be NAUSEOUS with nervousness on Christmas Eve of all days.

And of course at various phases for the next couple of months, but still. The launch will tie my stomach up in a knot.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know why. But I love hearing news about space exploration lately. After everything that's happened the past couple of years. This cheers me up.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited about this. I hope it succeeds.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Still blows my mind that this telescope will be capable of looking 13.6 billion years into the past.

But I'm most excited for the exoplanet news that will come out of this. Within the first year, they are going to be looking closely at the TRAPPIST system and Proxima Centauri, both of which have some promising Earth-like planets.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
The trailer brought a tear to my eye

25 years and 10 billion dollars later, JWST will finally take off.

I can't remember when I was this excited for a satellite launch.

If it all goes well, there will be some amazing findings coming from James Webb.
Godspeed!

convo

Oct 25, 2017
It's out there. WAY out there, in L2 orbit. Should something go wrong any future repair mission attempted would be 100% unmanned, which presents its own challenges.

Sp05G6Q.jpg
This picture makes me think about telescopes on the moon, but let me keep on track. The launch will be far too stress inducing for me, so i'll distract myself by sleeping through it and seeing how that went. The flight itself is also gonna take some time.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Man, I hope this launches successfully. Easily the biggest bit of pure science to come online in my lifetime and for the foreseeable future, other than maybe the LHC coming online a decade back, and that seems like it sort of hit a wall in terms of significant new discoveries for the time being.

Rufio

Oct 27, 2017
i'm so scared but i cant wait

this could produce the most profound findings of our lifetimes.