Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_n67rz1e0KK1tcjj73o2_250.gifv

When's it reaching L2?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I was tearing up watching this with my father, a machinist who actually worked on the beryllium mirrors that are on JWST. We got up early and met up to watch the launch and it was so cathartic to see it launch flawlessly.

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I read they actually have a few small options to fix potential issues, like using some of the fuel to lightly shake the telescope to get something unstuck for example. It's not much but hey

nny

Oct 25, 2017
2% travelled - woo!

I was tearing up watching this with my father, a machinist who actually worked on the beryllium mirrors that are on JWST. We got up early and met up to watch the launch and it was so cathartic to see it launch flawlessly.

That's lovely - this must be the most amazing Christmas gift for so many people, so many worked on this project, for so long.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
2% travelled - woo!

That's lovely - this must be the most amazing Christmas gift for so many people, so many worked on this project, for so long.
That distance complete must be to the next phase, the sunshield stage. Just doing rough math in my head, to reach 2% in under 2 hours, we're just a couple of days from 100%.

I was excited it was going so quickly for a bit lol.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
That distance complete must be to the next phase, the sunshield stage. Just doing rough math in my head, to reach 2% in under 2 hours, we're just a couple of days from 100%.

I was excited it was going so quickly for a bit lol.

They mention it's the distance until entry into L2 orbit, but also add that "Webb's speed is at its peak while connected to the push of the launch vehicle. Its speed begins to slow rapidly after separation as it coasts up hill climbing the gravity ridge from Earth to its orbit around L2", so maybe it will be slowing down and get there in a month.

Oct 27, 2017
The years of delay also make for an interesting fact. If the JWST had been launched as initially planned, its mission would already have been over now because of it running out of fuel.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I was genuinely nervous for this, so I'm relieved it went well. Still a million things that can go wrong, but at least the most explosive part is out of the way.

And when it does reach it destination and works as intended... the results will boggle the mind. I can't wait for it to be ~July 2022 and we will know for sure.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The years of delay also make for an interesting fact. If the JWST had been launched as initially planned, its mission would already have been over now because of it running out of fuel.
Didn't realize the JW only has lifespan of about 5 to 10 years depending on how much fuel it uses to reach the L2 point. Makes sense when you think, because it'll be impossible to refuel or repair being 1.5m km away, unlike the Hubble lol.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Didn't realize the JW only has lifespan of about 5 to 10 years depending on how much fuel it uses to reach the L2 point. Makes sense when you think, because it'll be impossible to refuel or repair being 1.5m km away, unlike the Hubble lol.
Actually I don't think it will be impossible as I understand it. They just haven't currently entered a planning phase for developing a refueling vehicle. I imagine if everything goes smoothly and we start getting images, funding for such endeavors will be more realistic and planning might begin.

I was watching an interview with the director yesterday and even though he didn't directly comment on it, he sort of left it open in a "anything is possible" kind of way with a sort of knowing look on his face.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Actually I don't think it will be impossible as I understand it. They just haven't currently entered a planning phase for developing a refueling vehicle. I imagine if everything goes smoothly and we start getting images, funding for such endeavors will be more realistic and planning might begin.

I was watching an interview with the director yesterday and even though he didn't directly comment on it, he sort of left it open in a "anything is possible" kind of way with a sort of knowing look on his face.

I don't recall seeing or hearing about the built-in refueling capabilities, but sending an unmanned refueling craft is well in the realm of possibility. A little stretch would be a manned mission, but if the SpaceX progress continues apace it could be also possible within the decade. One of the new crop of astronauts just that were just minted may well be working on Webb one day.

Where is Webb Tracker

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia

Yeah, although with what we have currently it's quite impossible but maybe in future.

I read an article that it's made to be somewhat serviceable, and the fuel tank could be replaced.
www.scientificamerican.com

Is the James Webb Space Telescope "Too Big to Fail?"

Backers of NASA’s next great observatory contemplate its worst-case scenarios
There are, however, modest efforts being made to make JWST "serviceable" like Hubble, according to Scott Willoughby, JWST's program manager at Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems in Redondo Beach, California. The aerospace firm is NASA's prime contractor to develop and integrate JWST, and has been tasked with provisioning for a "launch vehicle interface ring" on the telescope that could be "grasped by something," whether astronaut or remotely operated robot, Willoughby says. If a spacecraft were sent out to L2 to dock with JWST, it could then attempt repairs—or, if the observatory is well-functioning, simply top off its fuel tank to extend its life. But presently no money is budgeted for such heroics.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yeah, although with what we have currently it's quite impossible but maybe in future.

I read an article that it's made to be somewhat serviceable, and the fuel tank could be replaced.
www.scientificamerican.com

Is the James Webb Space Telescope "Too Big to Fail?"

Backers of NASA’s next great observatory contemplate its worst-case scenarios
Yeah I think they have to show they didn't waste 10 billion dollars and decades of time before they start hitting up funding for repairs, you know? lol.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm so relieved to wake up to no news about a disaster, I mean after watching don't look up I was paranoid.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Think folks are more worried about mechanical failures (which no amount of testing can prevent).
Yea I know. But that's exactly what the testing is designed to guard against. These weren't just software tests, but scores of hardware stress, tolerance, and performance tests. They've been testing it for years. It will be fine. The most dangerous part of the mission is passed. Power and solar panels are working, engines and thrusters are green, and there was no anomalies or issues with debris of any kind. By all means people can worry if that's just what they want to do but (1) worry isn't going to help anyway and (2) these people are the best in the world at what they do. If the mission was going to fail it almost certainly would have already.

I'm more worried about getting the right size of fries in my next McDonald's bag than if Webb is going to get where it needs to be in working order.

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Refueling it or at least servicing it by attaching something to it to keep it's propulsion going is probably not impossible, but it's true that NASA currently doesn't have that capability.

If all goes well I can see them planning for such a mission.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Refueling it or at least servicing it by attaching something to it to keep it's propulsion going is probably not impossible, but it's true that NASA currently doesn't have that capability.

If all goes well I can see them planning for such a mission.
Given that its only supposed to be a 10 year mission, it feels unlikely that they would be interested in servicing it by the time our tech catches up to the point where we could. But I also imagine if they think they can squeeze more life out of it at a reasonable price, they will almost certainly be willing to do so. They certainly milked Hubble for everything it was worth.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
They've talked about refuelling JWST, but yeah, it's not like Hubble where they built it with handholds for astronauts to work on it. I wonder if astronauts could even safely work on JWST, given how sensitive it is.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Given that its only supposed to be a 10 year mission, it feels unlikely that they would be interested in servicing it by the time our tech catches up to the point where we could. But I also imagine if they think they can squeeze more life out of it at a reasonable price, they will almost certainly be willing to do so. They certainly milked Hubble for everything it was worth.

I think if the science is good theywill want to extend it.

There's the Roman Space Telescope in 2027 but that one is visible light like hubble but also uses a similar 2.4m wide mirror as Hubble and is expected to last 5 years, maybe longer since NASA always has a much shorter primary mission. I guess it's the Hubble Pro.

The true successor AFAIK hasn't even been designed yet, there's just a proposal for a Super James Webb based on a wishlist from astronomers , but that i assume will take time to build and spec out. It won't be ready in 10 years, probably not even ready in 20 years if JWST's timeline is anything to go by.

I think the idea of having an extended period with no space telescope capability would be something NASA would want to avoid.

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The best shot to extend the JWST mission would be indeed to dock a service module to its docking port that has its own propulsion to keep the telescope in orbit and rewrite the software to account for this massive change. But that still wouldn't be exactly trivial.

Oct 28, 2017
Getting a little teary about this. Future of mankind will possibly be spotted by the JWST. Super excited for the first photos.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Yea I know. But that's exactly what the testing is designed to guard against. These weren't just software tests, but scores of hardware stress, tolerance, and performance tests. They've been testing it for years. It will be fine. The most dangerous part of the mission is passed. Power and solar panels are working, engines and thrusters are green, and there was no anomalies or issues with debris of any kind. By all means people can worry if that's just what they want to do but (1) worry isn't going to help anyway and (2) these people are the best in the world at what they do. If the mission was going to fail it almost certainly would have already.

I'm more worried about getting the right size of fries in my next McDonald's bag than if Webb is going to get where it needs to be in working order.

Agree that worrying isn't going to help things. It is just kinda weird to act like there is nothing that can go wrong when they haven't even gotten to the most technically challenging part of the deployment.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching a stream after the launch this morning and I heard it mentioned that while it's not a priority, NASA does plan to use Webb to image the exact same "empty" patch of space where Hubble took the famous Deep Field photo so we can do a direct comparison of how far Hubble saw to much farther Webb can see. Can't wait to see that photo!

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a Webb tracker website or anything to keep up with where it's at in regards to deployment?