• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

IDontBeatGames already whipped up a summary of the podcast...
Nate and John's Predictions/Comments Summary:
  • He thinks it'll be a slower year for Nintendo Switch 1 releases as Nintendo prepares to release the next hardware. There will still be stuff to announce through Nintendo Directs or however Nintendo plans to release this info.
  • He thinks there will be a cross-gen period in 2025 as he doesn't think Luigi's Mansion 2 HD or Paper Mario TTYD Remake will be the last games on the Switch
  • No, the Switch 2 won't be at the next Direct. Nintendo would've announced it already
  • About the Partner Direct stuff: His exact comment/statement was "I'm going into this year's first Direct with the expectation of it being a Partner Direct. I think they will focus on 3rd party stuff more than 1st party". He did NOT definitively say that it IS a partner direct.
  • John from DF expects the same thing they did last time with the Switch 2 which is just a random teaser video popping up like they did with the Switch
  • Last Summer, Nate reported that there were whispers about something March 2024. As time has gone on, he's of the belief that this is the reveal of the Switch 2. He thinks it's happening in March because of Nintendo meeting with other developers or partners in GDC.
  • He thinks Nintendo will go heavy on June's Direct as they'll focus everything on Switch 2 because it'll allow them to give people (news outlets) previews and get a feel for the Switch 2. And with them possibly releasing it in Fall, it'll give Nintendo the opportunity to show off the Switch 2 tech in other future events that'll round out the year like TGS
  • Nate thinks if they launch in November, they'll possibly experience sellouts between November and March thanks to the Holiday Rush
  • John thinks there was too much smoke around the Switch Pro for it to not have been real. He thinks that they shifted gears due to getting cold feet and not wanting to botch the hardware or launch as they have to get the next Switch's launch right
  • He thinks as long as the Switch 2 is a competent system and delivers on the games and performance, it'll sell a ton and find the same success as the Switch.
  • John thinks Switch 2 will be much bigger than the Switch, which lines up with the rumors we saw about the screen size and the size implies a big chip. Nate comments on folks who might comment about the PS portal, mentions it not having much in it as it's mostly a screen. He said if Nintendo as an LCD that matches the PS Portal he'll be more than okay with it. John thinks if they chose the 8 inch screen, Nintendo did it to be able to house all the internals.
  • John also thinks battery life is a huge concern for Nintendo, he reminds folks that regardless of the demo tech they use, the battery life might not be the same for the retail units so he's curious to see what that battery runtime is. Nate agrees in regards to it being bigger.
  • Nate thinks the Switch 2 might just not have the JoyCons and that it'll be more similar to the likes of a ROG Ally. John agrees, says they weren't that big of a success and they were uncomfortable. He (John) mentions that he pretty much exclusively used a Pro Controller even when he was using the Switch portably. Nate mentions experiencing disconnects with his JoyCons as years have gone, even while housed on the Switch itself.
  • Nate asks John whether or not he thinks the lack of JoyCons would ruin the excitement of Switch 2, John says if you look into the numbers he thinks that people might've not used that tabletop feature that was shown off in the Switch reveal trailer. He, personally, thinks the wireless Joycon features wasn't used by people as much as Nintendo might've thought.
  • However, Nate does mention the success of Nintendo selling JoyCons, he thinks if they gave a controller in the Switch 2 box it'd dissuade people from buying accessories, which could be why we might still see JoyCons 2
    Nate says Backwards Compatibility is going to be a feature on the Switch 2. His only fear is how they'll incorporate the eShop considering how terrible it is. His concern is them needing to overhaul the eShop because if they have BC, they'll need to support every game or almost every game and that's gonna be a lot to take on for the Switch 2. John thinks the same thing about the eShop (it being dire) as he feels like the eShop was only designed to be used in the first year of the Switch, lmao. Nate's hoping that Nintendo has a good approach to the eShop 2 but he's going in with the expectation that BC will be basic as in you can play your Switch 1 games on your Switch 2. He does not expect to see enhancements or performance boosts like we've seen with Xbox's backwards compatibility program. The only thing Nate foresees is "if a game had unlocked frame rate, it would go to a higher frame rate by default". John was expecting for the Switch 2's power to fix performance problems, dynamic resolution scaling, in cases of unlocked frame rates it makes games 60fps and developers being able to patch games if they want. John thinks Nintendo is gonna be incredibly cautious with how they handle all of this, but expect to see some natural improvements.
  • Nate thinks there will be a ton of developers that, rather than doing a patch, will want to re-release their games with all the bells and whistles (Nintendo included, he uses Bayonetta 3 as an example) to recuperate the cost of fixing games rather than just dropping patches
Nate also mentioned that he expects 16GB of RAM for the Switch. Either way, it's worth a listen.

Source: Nate the Hate (YouTube)

Last edited:

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Seems like Nate thinks next week's direct is a partner direct

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Man, this supposed Genealogy remake better show up soon. I played the original about a year ago and it's easily my favorite FE. Hope it doesn't get lost in the console transition.
I suspect it will be a Switch 1&2 game which is why it's "taking so long". Nintendo might be holding it to have a FE game for switch launch

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Next direct better not be a partner direct. I want to see TTYD again. If it's a partner direct i'm not even going to watch it unless there's silksong

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Seems like Nate thinks next week's direct is a partner direct

FWIW, that's also what somebody told me on monday.

tenor.gif

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I suspect it will be a Switch 1&2 game which is why it's "taking so long". Nintendo might be holding it to have a FE game for switch launch
Nate said a while back that the Genealogy remake is Switch 1-only with no Switch 2 version. He also said that the remake has been done for a while.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
weird that it is a partner direct. usually the february directs are pretty beefy.
but: if they really unveil the switch 2 in march, there could be a huge direct coming.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
All partner directs so far are labelled 'Mini', right?

-----

Hope Eiyuden makes another appearance, with more solid presentation. Its previous appearance was the first good info for people who had been waiting for over 2 years, but generally it was actually not captivating enough for the general audience and was quite overshadowed by other announcements.

Hope Suikoden HD can make its first appearance as well.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Partner Direct definitely means they are saving the 1st party software for a larger switch 2 reveal.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All this hearsay, but did anyone's partner directly tell them that there is a Partner Direct?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Then what about the FE4 remake? Did it get taken back into development to do a Switch 2 version?
Possibly. I'm sure a good chunk of the software will still be cross-gen, but they'll likely to want to showcase it with the improved Switch 2 visuals/performance.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Then what about the FE4 remake? Did it get taken back into development to do a Switch 2 version?

They could just do a trailer drop -- with Switch 2 on the horizon, I imagine they'll want all eyeballs on a big Direct-esque showcase for that.

If the reveal's in March, all the more reason to default to a Partner's Direct the month before: keep Switch owners invested in the console's sunset with third-party offeringa, but save the big guns for your next console.

Moltz20

Banned
Sep 12, 2023
A partner direct, huh? That's interesting.

The issue is that, as of when Nate last heard, there was no Switch 2 version of the Genealogy remake.

For what's worth, that doesn't mean the game is guaranteed to not have improvements when running on Switch 2. IIRC Fates had some unique code that makes the game run smoother in New 3DS than in old models, which I don't believe it was ever advertised anywhere.

As for whether the alleged FE4 remake will sell well if it turns out to be real, I think that will depend on whether the previews and WoM resonate with the Three Houses' fanbase. It's an install base of 4M+ people as of last year, and I know for a fact many people avoided Engage because the game was - for better or worse - fairly honest on how different it wanted to be from 3H.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
As for whether the alleged FE4 remake will sell well if it turns out to be real, I think that will depend on whether the previews and WoM resonate with the Three Houses' fanbase.

An FE4 remake is not going to sell anywhere near as close to Three Houses. Echoes (remake of Gaiden) did not sell anywhere near as well as Fates/Awakening did, and I expect the same pattern to occur here, especially when many are already looking forward to Switch 2 launch

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
If it's a partner direct then they are definitely going to announce Switch 2 in March.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this supposed Genealogy remake better show up soon. I played the original about a year ago and it's easily my favorite FE. Hope it doesn't get lost in the console transition.

Does it require a lot of guides to end up with the right kids, or can I just plow through it without worrying too much about it?

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018

I'll try to do a summary of the podcast later when I have less work to do & NateDrake usually has juicy nuggets of info in his podcasts, but I thought it'd be worth a thread.

Source: Nate the Hate (YouTube)

Timestamps:

Switch 2023 Recap & Switch 2 Chatter
: 2:30

Final Year of Nintendo Switch?
: 14:15

Next Nintendo Direct Expectation & Thoughts
: 20:00

Switch 2 Reveal & Release Window
: 22:00

Will Nintendo Switch 2 Have a Gimmick?
: 31:20