Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Good decision.

It'll only benefit MS. Returning to how things were before the acquisitions seems the most reasonable. It's definitely more profitable. It's something I've been saying they should continue to do from the very beginning.

I hope more and more publishers, including Sony, have - at the very least - simultaneous PC releases.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I have to imagine this was planned to be Xbox console exclusive in 2022 like Starfield and Redfall that were ordered to "scrap the PS5 versions". At least its good its coming to more players

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to believe Spencer and Greenberg aren't literally seething over this. They have to be, especially considering the emails from trials. None of this was part of their plan.
Given their performance they should be happy they even still have a job

Ive seen management replaced for far less

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
One of the biggest leaks of all time:

GFSLDq4XgAA3IR-.png
OD probably going to be an Until Dawn type joint

Apr 20, 2022
How so? They'll make money out of it selling everywhere. The end goal is always money.
That's good for making money when the games sell well on PS5 or pc but what is there to keep people on Xbox? Why buy Xbox? If I can play on PS5 I'm not going "oh Xbox is the home of all these cool Bethesda games, better get a Xbox to carry on" but instead I'll keep playing the next few on PS5.

Like imagine if Nintendo allows Mario to go multi. Great they make money off every sale but they still have a ton of franchises left so you'll still need a Nintendo console to play Zelda animal crossing smash etc so there's still a reason to own and keep playing Nintendo consoles.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That's good for making money when the games sell well on PS5 or pc but what is there to keep people on Xbox? Why buy Xbox? If I can play on PS5 I'm not going going to "oh cool Xbox is the home of all these cool Bethesda games" but instead I'll keep playing the next few on PS5.

Like imagine if Nintendo allows Mario to go multi. Great they make money off every sale but they still have a ton of franchises left so you'll still need a Nintendo console to play Zelda animal crossing smash etc so there's still a reason to own and keep playing Nintendo.

People aren't buying xboxes now. Like, at all. And really haven't been for going on a decade now, at least not in the number that would require to justify producing the increasingly more expensive AAA game budgets. And that's with exclusive games like Starfield. And exclusive games going to GamePass. What exactly are they trying to preserve here?

The comparison to Sony and Nintendo doesn't really work because those companies still have valuable, popular hardware brands that successfully sell globally.

Oct 25, 2017
People aren't buying xboxes now. Like, at all. And really haven't been for going on a decade now, at least not in the number that would require to justify producing the increasingly more expensive AAA game budgets. And that's with exclusive games like Starfield. And exclusive games going to GamePass. What exactly are they trying to preserve here?

The comparison to Sony and Nintendo doesn't really work because those companies still have valuable, popular hardware brands that successfully sell globally.
An industry of 2 boxes isn't competitive. It's Nintendo and a monopoly.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
That's good for making money when the games sell well on PS5 or pc but what is there to keep people on Xbox? Why buy Xbox? If I can play on PS5 I'm not going "oh Xbox is the home of all these cool Bethesda games, better get a Xbox to carry on" but instead I'll keep playing the next few on PS5.

Like imagine if Nintendo allows Mario to go multi. Great they make money off every sale but they still have a ton of franchises left so you'll still need a Nintendo console to play Zelda animal crossing smash etc so there's still a reason to own and keep playing Nintendo consoles.
That's a good question. My reply is based on the rumor that they're going full multiplat.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
You joking?
Five/Six months ago a mere suggestion that Doom will be multiplat day one would probably get you a ban and mockery. We are advancing into uncharted waters at mach speed.
I agree with this.

Also the days, weeks, months following the acquisition were wild times.
I have to imagine this was planned to be Xbox console exclusive in 2022 like Starfield and Redfall that were ordered to "scrap the PS5 versions". At least its good its coming to more players
Right, it seems like some either dont know or forgot what was revealed during the anti trust trials.

Only debate I can see is those 2 were new IP's. But that slide that many were trying to decipher always looked like a red light, green light scenario:

RDT-20240203-2041101946541505896012447.webp

At the time some of us even said whats stops a game in the middle from sliding left or right.

Apr 20, 2022

That's the dark cloud that's been hanging over Xbox for a while. If they're not shifting consoles then what's the point of making Xbox? It's better off going full 3rd party in that case like Sega did then hemorrhage more money on consoles and AAA titles.

Bethesda acquisition was made to look like this was a turning point, if you want to play certain games you have to get Xbox. Hell star field was promoted as the big Xbox 1st party title same way Nintendo promoted TOTK. Well that ain't happening anytime soon seeing as you can play these games elsewhere.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know how much Xbox are making from the 3rd party cut on their consoles right now? If Xbox sales crater next gen (they still have 20m+ Series consoles sold) is the additional revenue from their multiplatform strategy going to outperform that?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
An industry of 2 boxes isn't competitive. It's Nintendo and a monopoly.
Huh?

And for all intents n purposes the smartphone market is iOS and Android. 5 major platforms down to 2. Hell, the iPhone started releasing cheaper phones and phones on pre paid carriers competing with Android. AFAIK that didnt start until after Android was on the market and Palm, BB and MS were out/on their way out.

That is not what a monopoly means, and XB's position is due to competition.

Give it enough time, monopoly will eventually have a whole new meaning.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Huh?

And for all intents n purposes the smartphone market is iOS and Android. 5 major platforms down to 2. Hell, the iPhone started releasing cheaper phones and phones on pre paid carriers competing with Android. AFAIK that didnt start until after Android was on the market and Palm, BB and MS were out/on their way out.

Give it enough time, monopoly will eventually have a whole new meaning.
Competition too.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That's the dark cloud that's been hanging over Xbox for a while. If they're not shifting consoles then what's the point of making Xbox? It's better off going full 3rd party in that case like Sega did then hemorrhage more money on consoles and AAA titles.

Bethesda acquisition was made to look like this was a turning point, if you want to play certain games you have to get Xbox. Hell star field was promoted as the big Xbox 1st party title same way Nintendo promoted TOTK. Well that ain't happening anytime soon seeing as you can play these games elsewhere.

the issue with both the Bethesda and ABK acquisitions is they were so large in scale and involved so many large/valuable IP that to simplify things, it ultimately comes down to whether feeding them to the Xbox/GamePass machine and using them to subsidize that service and try and sell Xboxes does more harm to those IP than it does good for the Xbox hardware. StarField was probably a pretty big test case for them internally it was probably overall a well received game but being the next game from the Elder Scrolls/Fallout people its almost certainly not reaching the heights of those franchises and a big part of that is probably that its not available to the largest console audience.

Mar 17, 2024

I think their plan was always to have franchises that have been established on multiple platforms to remain so. Starfield and Redfall were new franchises, and new ones tend to be exclusives.
Don't think the PlayStation community has to worry about new games in franchises that were already established on PlayStation (Diablo, Fallout, whatever...).

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I refuse to believe Spencer and Greenberg aren't literally seething over this. They have to be, especially considering the emails from trials. None of this was part of their plan.
That whole Activision deal was a massive albatross and I truly wonder if Phil regrets pushing hard for that acquisition. Hardware sales were already tanking but I think the buyout just sped up the process of the current direction they're heading. Really makes no sense gobbling up all these major publishers and locking the releases to a console that can't even break even, it's practically IP suicide.

I can't help but chortle at the possibility of Phil desperately wanting the likes of Crash & Spyro to be XB exclusives to help bolster the family friendly market that MS always failed at doing.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Would love for this to be a stealth Hexen reboot in the vein of what they did with Doom

Melee and Magic focused FPS with the chaotic sandboxes of the Doom games is an instant win for me.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
So why should anyone buy an Xbox again? I don't have an Xbox so I'm happy to play their games on Steam, but it's crazy to me that so many people are already on board with this strategy being good. It's going to mean there won't be a viable third platform, and I just think that's bad for the industry. I guess unless people think the future is just going to be PC, Nintendo, and Playstation, but I dunno, console competition has always bred the best games imo.
they're doing this because people already don't buy xbox lol

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
XBox continues to confuse me….they're going 3rd party (anyone can see this) yet they wanna push more hardware…ok? Who's buying it? Seems like a lot of wasted time and $$, esp. when you look at their hardware sales right now while there's still exclusives.

Mar 17, 2024
Would love for this to be a stealth Hexen reboot in the vein of what they did with Doom

Melee and Magic focused FPS with the chaotic sandboxes of the Doom games is an instant win for me.

Been thinking about that too. It could be a big departure when it comes to setting and gameplay. DOOM Eternal already laid some of the groundwork in this respect.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear multiplat, as a long supporter of this series on PS I'm happy to see it stick to multiplat

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Still curious if they just went full nuclear like Big Boss in MGSV and Gears 6 is actually day one multiplat. I actually have no idea what the fuck to expect from MS at their event.

turkoman_

Apr 29, 2023
User banned (3 days): Console war rhetoric, history of same behavior, account in junior phase
Oh, Xbox Showcase is going to be one the best PS Showcases in recent years.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

Well, that wasn't always the case. Wii U is the biggest hardware flop in the history of this industry, and 3DS minus Japan was not more popular than Xbox One. Thing is, Microsoft don't know how to sell hardware. They don't know how to deal with the retail market, they made terrible decisions (imo) in regards to the Nokia brand and right now they are making another hardware brand irrelevant.

Its clear that Microsoft has issues on several levels, they have issues in selling the hardware itself, and they also have issues in regards to how to manage their studios and the creative side of things.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
XBox continues to confuse me….they're going 3rd party (anyone can see this) yet they wanna push more hardware…ok? Who's buying it? Seems like a lot of wasted time and $$, esp. when you look at their hardware sales right now while there's still exclusives.
They probably want to keep one foot in the hardware side regardless, as once you are out out, good luck getting back in, especially if they think they can keep 20-40 million people in their ecosystem and subbed.

We'll see what their long term goals are though, I do think we are going to see some pretty significant changed in the "high end console" space regardless with game budgets kinda already at the breaking point, so I already don't really think there be a "next gen" cut off point like in the past, so the current gen system will be around for a long long time.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Still curious if they just went full nuclear like Big Boss in MGSV and Gears 6 is actually day one multiplat. I actually have no idea what the fuck to expect from MS at their event.
Any games with MP components should be sent to the widest possible audience they can.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Next Xbox is going to be most likely a handheld and line of Xbox branded PCs with Windows and higher prices. They will be there for the users deep into ecosystem and some people maybe wanting a workstation but I think they will be niche sellers.
I seriously don' think they care anymore about selling HW on any bigger scale. It will simply be there as an optional access thing.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Would be very surprised if they actually mention PS5 version at their showcase. I assume they'll only say day 1 with GP and that's it.

NinjaLooter

Oct 1, 2023
It makes sense. Making this exclusive to Xbox will make it seem Microsoft is stealing games from other platforms.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
i stopped buying games on xbox now. Looking to either upgrade my pc or buy games on ps5.
one of my best friends completely stopped buying xbox games because he would wait and hope for new titles to come to gamepass

but then he got frustrated with xbox and he bought a ps5 and helldivers 2 and a few other things like Spiderman that he missed out on

I asked him why the sudden change and he said he could get a ps5 and xbox's games on ps5, and not miss out on pretty much most games/ps exclusives

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Next Xbox is going to be most likely a handheld and line of Xbox branded PCs with Windows and higher prices. They will be there for the users deep into ecosystem and some people maybe wanting a workstation but I think they will be niche sellers.
I seriously don' think they care anymore about selling HW on any bigger scale. It will simply be there as an optional access thing.

This seems like something people within Microsoft talk about in ten years' time as a mistake they should have seen ahead of time.

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like the hardware push makes a lot more sense if the next Xbox is essentially a windows gaming PC going forward.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Very happy about this and not surprised, we know where Microsoft is going, or at least the breadcrumbs are there

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like something people within Microsoft talk about in ten years' time as a mistake they should have seen ahead of time.
Going with the standard console model (especially selling at a loss) would be insanity with the current Xbox Series trajectory, they are correct in trying something completely else. They are not going to pull Windows Phone again, so they simply want to have permanent footnote and call it a day.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm pc only so I don't really care one way or the other. But assuming this is the beginning of the end of Xbox as a console, I wonder if that will have a negative impact on consumers long term? I mean I guess everyone will only get the ps6 as they will get all games now, so that is good, but with no ps6 competition, maybe there will be downsides? Price increases or whatever else happens in a "monopoly? Monopoly is in quotes as its not really a monopoly but they will have no competition in their market assuming there is no Xbox next generation. Nintendo consoles dont compete against the Xbox/ps/pc market. I guess depending on price of nextgen consoles, ps5 would compete with pc gaming more.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
You are probably right, it's most likely symbolic to me. I cannot really comprehend it unless it's actual tangible reality.
Oh 100%. If you would have said Gears was going to be multiplatform like 2-3 years ago I would have laughed so hard...now I'm like...well..ya I could see it...lol

Ryu bogard

Nov 23, 2017
one of my best friends completely stopped buying xbox games because he would wait and hope for new titles to come to gamepass

but then he got frustrated with xbox and he bought a ps5 and helldivers 2 and a few other things like Spiderman that he missed out on

I asked him why the sudden change and he said he could get a ps5 and xbox's games on ps5, and not miss out on pretty much most games/ps exclusives

That how I feel too. Why continue to support Xbox when content can be gotten elsewhere. Honestly so disappointed with Xbox. They started the gen so strong imo, only to fumble this badly.