GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Hi! Hi!
The fantastic action-RPG CrossCode appears to have received a PS5 upgrade today! It's free to PS4 owners of the game. I'll have to check the disk version tomorrow.

Will you be returning to the world of CrossCode - or perhaps playing it for the first time? I never got to finish the game, so this seems like the perfect excuse to jump back in!

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I need to get back to this game. I got to some late game dungeon and then got distracted by some other game. When I went back to this I was so damn confused, didn't remember much. So it has just been stuck there.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Hmm, is there a save transfer method? If there is I'll go though the trouble of uploading the save to get another platinum 😅

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I mean what could they possibly upgrade?
XSX version is 120hz, makes a real nice difference to the clarity of the visuals when moving around. I guess this will be the same. Also DualSense support for PS5 perhaps.

EmeL21UXEAYqYW3

Mos Def

Sep 17, 2019
I'm 25 hours into the game and currently on chapter 7. It seems the PS5 version is not compatible with PS4 saves.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 version is 3.29 GB, the PS5 version is 569 MB! About 17% of the size.

I did the tutorial a few days ago so I didn't get far at least.

Shevat

Oct 27, 2017
No option to upgrade on my physical copy which is a bummer. Guess I'll wait a while and see if a physical PS5 release materializes, or wait on a deep sale to double dip. Looking forward to trying out the performance upgrades and the DLC in the future. CrossCode very quickly became one of my all time favorites.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 25 hours into the game and currently on chapter 7. It seems the PS5 version is not compatible with PS4 saves.
Yeah they will need implement a way to "transfer" your ps4 save to ps5 version, since they are considered two different games by the console. It's just the way it works with PlayStation games unfortunately.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Now I'm torn between getting this on PS5 or switch, been eyeing it for awhile. Does it run well on switch?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Waiting for impressions on the PS5 upgrade, and how it compares to the XSX version.

I put a big chunk of time on the XSX version thanks to Gamepass, but I've been considering starting over on the PS5 as I find the controller a better fit for this game (I was using the DS4 controller on the Xbox, in fact). Plus I'm unsure whether the game will permanently remain on Gamepass or will eventually get taken down, so I wouldn't mind owning it permanently on either platform.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If there is no free upgrade with PS4 physical I hope they release a PS5 physical version

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I was hoping I could play the DLC with the PS5 version, but if I cant transfer the save file then well, sticking with the PS4 version.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
XSX version is 120hz, makes a real nice difference to the clarity of the visuals when moving around. I guess this will be the same. Also DualSense support for PS5 perhaps.

EmeL21UXEAYqYW3

Then my perception must be bad because theres not that kind of difference when it comes to the games visuals. I don't even think even at 720p I could tell as long as the pixels are resized correctly.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Whats the game like? I've heard the puzzles can be quite unforgiving?

The puzzles are quite tough in places because they start being less about figuring out a sequence and they start to throw more and more timing based elements in. The dungeons themselves also can be quite long and it can feel monotonous after a point when you don't get to see or hear any other scenery for quite some time.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Then my perception must be bad because theres not that kind of difference when it comes to the games visuals. I don't even think even at 720p I could tell as long as the pixels are resized correctly.
I guess it depends on your display, but the difference in motion blur between 60 and 120hz is night and day for me on my OLED. Especially for games like Crosscode with lots of screen scrolling. Motion is almost CRT-like at 120hz on an OLED which is wonderful for games like this, preserving that beautiful pixel art in motion. So I'm definitely siding with the developer on this one.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I guess it depends on your display, but the difference in motion blur between 60 and 120hz is night and day for me on my OLED. Especially for games like Crosscode with lots of screen scrolling. Motion is almost CRT-like at 120hz on an OLED which is wonderful for games like this, preserving that beautiful pixel art in motion. So I'm definitely siding with the developer on this one.

I should have clarified, I'm not talking about the framerate, just the screen resolution.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I should have clarified, I'm not talking about the framerate, just the screen resolution.
Ah ok, although I assumed the developer's point with that image was more regarding the framerate than the resolution. It does mention both though in the tweet. Although 4k does make a difference for pixel art where it is at a resolution that can be perfectly 1:1 scaled - Sonic Mania is a classic example where it looks much cleaner when scaled at 4k. Not sure about CrossCode though.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm it forces my PS5 to output to 120hz, even though my TV isn't compatible so I guess it is 120fps compatible.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea how big the PC version is?
492 MB to 510 MB depending on the OS.
radicalfishgames.itch.io

CrossCode by Radical Fish Games

A retro-inspired 2D Action-RPG set in the distant future

On the Switch it is 1.8 GB.
www.nintendo.com

CrossCode for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy CrossCode and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

I haven't seen figures for Xbox platforms but I imagine it is similar to the PlayStation ones.

Jun 1, 2021
I bought it and it leaves a good first impression on ps5. You can change thr puzzle timers as well so good to know that option if needed. It seems really framey though. Seems to stutter alot and I wonder if it's my tv that's the issue. Don't have any other issues though in other games