• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Wow.
I played Skyrim VR for the first time a couple of days ago. It was really cool, but the teleporting made me feel a bit queasy after an hour, which never really happens to me. I normally have a really strong stomach for VR stuff, and I've logged quite a few hours in it.

I mentioned in a Vive thread here that I liked SkyrimVR, but it would be better with an arm swinging locomotion style like LA Noire VR. Another user (Simplex) directed me to this link, talking about this new arm swinging locomotion system that works with existing games:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/8b2haw/natural_locomotion_does_amazing_stuff_for_skyrim/

I just finished playing Skyrim VR for 2 hours, no sick feelings AT ALL, and also, it was hands down the most immersive VR experience I've had. Its even better than LA Noire's arm swinging locomotion. Something about the way they've tuned it, it feels incredibly natural.

I'm almost at the end of Bleak Falls Barrow right now, and its been amazing walking up the mountain and going through the cave. Holding a torch in your hand and going through a dark room (though I need to find a mod to make it darker....) feels incredible. The bow combat is pitch perfect (you have to turn on realistic bows in the options tho), the magic feels great, feels like you're magic Iron Man, if that makes sense, the swords....suck. But thats a really hard problem to overcome in VR. I also turned on crouch to sneak, and theres no better feeling than crouching down and shooting an arrow across the room into a bandit's head :D

In summary: If VR has made you feel sick before, or if you want more immersion, you HAVE to try out Natural Locomotion (and its on sale right now ;) ) Also Skyrim VR is great. With this its amazing.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So in comparison to the PSVR version where you can use Moves with free movement (which I love and I am still confused so many devs don't use it like this) it seems like you use your hands and swing them to run? I saw the video and it looked really chaotic and not really different than me playing on my PSVR. So it's a mod to give somebody the natural feeling of using their body by swinging one arm? Cool for people that have problems with unnatural locomotion.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. As weird as this swing locomotion sounds on paper, it makes a lot of sense when you try it. Currently my favourite way to move in games. Hope the devs will implement it in new titles.

OP
OP
Dremorak

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Yes. As weird as this swing locomotion sounds on paper, it makes a lot of sense when you try it. Currently my favourite way to move in games. Hope the devs will implement it in new titles.
Have you tried this specific implementation of it? Theres something about the way they have set it up that it just feels incredible. Much much better than other arm swing locomotion implementations ive tried. Its like it smooths your hand movements in a natural way.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
Next level waggle ;)

That seem to work well, seems better than teleportation.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer smooth movement, but glad this works for those that don't (or can't handle it). I do like arm swinger style movement in games specifically built around them though like Sprint Vector or Art of Fight.

Oct 25, 2017
So this is essentially a better version of Art of Fight's movement, but now for more games?

I could get behind this. Not sure how well it'll work with how other games control, but once I get back into VR, I'll keep my eye on this.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried this specific implementation of it? Theres something about the way they have set it up that it just feels incredible. Much much better than other arm swing locomotion implementations ive tried. Its like it smooths your hand movements in a natural way.
No, I only tried it in other games (Sprint Vector and Mech Skeleton).

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
So in comparison to the PSVR version where you can use Moves with free movement (which I love and I am still confused so many devs don't use it like this) it seems like you use your hands and swing them to run? I saw the video and it looked really chaotic and not really different than me playing on my PSVR. So it's a mod to give somebody the natural feeling of using their body by swinging one arm? Cool for people that have problems with unnatural locomotion.

This is just an implementation of a control method that isn't built into the games. It effectively changes the way you control the other games you already own.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Was about to pull the trigger but saw that it says it doesn't work with Oculus.

Would definitely try it in Skyrim and Alien Isolation otherwise.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it seems quite good and immersive, I can't play teleport VR as it takes me out of the experience, So going forward i hope natural locomotion is implemented more. PSVR moves do work fine in Skyrim as 1 in each hands acts like a hand each with full 360 motion. VR is just fantastic when it is done right.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Was about to pull the trigger but saw that it says it doesn't work with Oculus.

Would definitely try it in Skyrim and Alien Isolation otherwise.

Yeah, me too. I tried the demo, worked fine with Oculus but they want to test the software a bit more with it, it seems.
Better than releasing something that doesn't work properly :)

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we really need feet tracking for something like this to work. I often don't swing my arms when I run.

I admittedly haven't tried this implementation though.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm not a huge fan (admittedly I haven't tried it yet) due to the akwardness of transitioning. Like how does moving with a bow work etc? Is there no free locomotion option like fallout 4 VR has where is guided directionally with a mixture of head direction, controller direction and input direction? I think that Hybrid is also kind of like how PSVR worked. I found that to be the best in games. And then roomscale/360 just makes it even better.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Just tried this in combination with Vanishing Realms. It works and I like that it's not a constant movement but a more step-by-step but it will require a bit of practice before one can decently use this in more hectic situations.
The main problem for me personally is that I don't like 360 degree games due to the cable management and until I have wireless this is a no-go. But I would like to try it again once I have the hardware.

OP
OP
Dremorak

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
For those wondering, its not about other methods making me feel sick, like I said I've tried them all and most are totally fine.
Its about immersion and control. Its incredibly immersive just walking along the roads in skyrim, it actually feels like you're walking.
Also you can move just a little bit to move suuuuper slowly, you actually have a lot of control. More than using a stick/pad I'd say.
Also btw, this is using room scale

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thread! I went ahead and bought it for when I have my VR space set up at my new place. I plan on checking out Skyrim then and will have this to use with it.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Bought it but have yet to try it with anything, if it is anything like the Freedom Locomotion System/Demo then it will be great. That system showed how to walk/run and aim at any directin/shoot in any direction at the same time, even to the sides of your body while using armswinging motion (with only one arm). Worked surprisingly well but that was only a demo, specifically designed to show off stuff like that. Maybe this can do something similar.

OP
OP
Dremorak

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Bought it but have yet to try it with anything, if it is anything like the Freedom Locomotion System/Demo then it will be great. That system showed how to walk/run and aim at any directin/shoot in any direction at the same time, even to the sides of your body while using armswinging motion (with only one arm). Worked surprisingly well but that was only a demo, specifically designed to show off stuff like that. Maybe this can do something similar.
You can definitely run with one arm, but I've only played with Skyrim tho, so havent tried running and shooting fireballs.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this but I can't get it to work in Skyrim. There's not much in the way of documentation. I tried the demo and I liked it, but I started Skyrim and when I squeezed the triggers to walk it only made my bow and arrow appear. Someone on the Steam discussion page said to use the grip buttons to walk, but that doesn't work either. I changed my VR setting to direct movement and maximum speed as instructed, and I tried checking the 'switch sides' box but that hasn't helped either.

I'm ready to refund this out of frustration, but it was only five bucks and I really would like to get it to work. Any suggestions?

edit: Well, I finally got it to start working properly last night...the thing is, I'm not sure what I may have done differently that got it to work. When I try it again later today I'll do a restart on my PC just before I fire up NL and Skyrim, that seems to help with a lot of my VR problems.

Last edited: