• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
that's a great way to make me not interested. i'm playing a video game.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Maybe Factions? It'd make sense considering it'll be a GaaS.

Here's hoping a new IP is being worked on too.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
ND got tired of the movie game accusations so they're doing TV shows now

Jun 20, 2021
TLOU1 was four stories across each season.

TLOU2 was basically two games in one.

TLOU3 is a big story told over a year with one "episode" a month?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
gXndjhO.jpg

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
I have 0 idea about game development when it comes to writing, but I have liked Neil's work not in writers room. Unsure if a writers room will help the writing?

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Please don't be episodic. I dont really want to wait until everything is released. Unless its structured that way within one single game.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds to me like jumping around multiple protagonists. I actually don't mind this too much if its done right. Extending a "movie" to 30+ hour games that these AAA endeavors have been doing can be rough for the story and pacing but maybe a more TV-like approach would work better. TLOUII already fit a bit more like that although I didn't like how it handled the pacing all that much.

Episodic would fit a Space game pretty well...

Deleted member 108302

Jan 29, 2022
Can't wait for this to mean a GaaS where the seasons are called Seasons and updates within a season are called Episodes (or something like that). It could also potentially mean episodic, which could work or be a complete train-wreck.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
TLoU Part 2 actually felt like 2 seasons of a TV show to me. I even mentioned it way back after I finished it. I guess he's going all in with this format now.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Whatever it is, he's not talking about TLOU MP. At Summer Games Fest he did speak about TLOU MP, but he was also asked what he's working on next and said that's not ready to be discussed yet. TLOU MP will be narrative driven, but whatever Neil's working on is something else.

My guess continues to be that it's a brand new IP, and once that's out then they'll get cracking on TLOU Part 3. At the same time ND in collab with another Studio will make a new Uncharted. TLOU MP will have a several year run with ongoing content. Almost certainly a TLOU 2 Director's Cut/Remaster/Remake will also be made, and that will be the PC version of the game that goes out, and of course it'll come to PS5 as well.

I do wonder if they'll get a new Jak and Daxter game out, and possibly some remasters/remakes since it's been indicated that a J&D movie is gonna happen.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The full paragraph is interesting and explains his push towards this.
But Hollywood's relationship to video games, he thought, was changing by degrees...Ten years earlier, he'd surprised his teammates by persuading Gustavo Santaolalla, an Oscar-winning composer, to score The Last of Us. For its sequel, he'd enlisted Halley Gross, best known for HBO's "Westworld," as his co-writer. Druckmann's own approach had changed as a result. He had continued to recruit from television, and made it clear to a cinematographer on "The Last of Us" that the door was open if she ever wanted to jump mediums. His next project, he revealed, was a game that was "structured more like a TV show" than anything else Naughty Dog had made—for which he'd taken a highly unusual step. He wasn't writing the script alone, or with a single partner. He was assembling a writers' room.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
ND games already follow this kind of structure to a degree. I don't for a second expect their next game to be episodic.

The full paragraph is interesting and explains his push towards this.
So yeah, there's the full quote. It's a writers room sort of process?

Remedy pretty much did this with Quantum Break.
They did a live-action TV show embedded into the game itself. This doesn't sound like that.

Oct 31, 2017
Playing the newest God of War honestly felt like playing through a prestige television show, and I absolutely do NOT mean that as a compliment. That game's pacing felt super calculated to be consumed in hour chunks with its sporadic peaks and far-too-consistent valleys. It was actually fatiguing, ironically.

This quote does the opposite of make me excited to be honest. I've been kind of over Sony's "house style" for a bit, and Sony's content has been my favorite stuff in the biz forever so it's a bummer. TLOU Part II also felt like a long-in-the-tooth, kind of "too into itself" television show too despite me really loving it.

For me, Sony's tropes have been over played at this point and I'm ready for the next thing/shakeups to their formula in their biggest studio's titles. But they keep selling well so I'll be shocked to see them deviate anytime soon.

For a long time I thought the cynicism levelled at Sony's first party house style wasn't justified. But in the last several years I've kind of turned around and am with the cynics.

Status
Not open for further replies.