• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://twinfinite.net/2018/12/last-of-us-part-ii-sony-competition/

Naughty Dog is hard at work on The Last of Us: Part II and the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu included a brief interview with Art Director John Sweeney and Director of Communications Arne Meyer.

Asked whether they're playing games from other studios, both answered positively, and Meyer added that it often makes him realize new possibilities. When playing other teams' games they feel a bit of pressure to surpass them.

When the interviewer asked which games create that pressure Meyer explained that looking at God of War, Marvel's Spider-Man, and Horizon: Zero Dawn encourages him to strive to make The Last of Us: Part II an even better game.

Asked whether a sense of rivalry exists even among Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide studios, Meyer explained that a degree of competition does exist, but it's cooperative competition rather than rivalry. If another Sony studio achieves something wonderful, they can be asked "how did you do this?" and they will provide that information.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Inevitably when TLoU2 comes out it'll be immediately compared to God of War.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I hope it helps poor Bend Studio with Days Gone. They'll need it

As for the rest, yeah, now ND will try to surpass what was done in God of War, and then SSM will try to surpass TLOU 2, and so on

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep we've heard similar things before. It's why their first party games are so good. They all talk to each other and share knowledge and techniques with each other. That just lets them all make better games because of it.

Oct 29, 2017
This is why having these big flagship first party studios is so important. We hear the same thing with Nintendo and Monolith helping with Zelda.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
ND reading some comments that SSM or GG are now the top Sony studio.
oie_4bojD9m6itYS.gif

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If another Sony studio achieves something wonderful, they can be asked "how did you do this?" and they will provide that information.

This reminds me of the screen tearing issue in the original Uncharted and how ND ultimately learned to fix it

Thompson elaborated further. "[With] Uncharted 1, the team was kind of exploring all of these concepts that they'd never done before. It was a relatively young team, with a lot of new talent and a lot of people. The budget was way higher than we'd ever [had] before. If there was one thing that I wish we could have done, it's getting the screen tearing taken care of. That's still my biggest regret on Uncharted. That's the one thing that's just painfully obvious, that we could have corrected."

"It was really funny, because the lead programmer of [Sony-owned developer of Killzone] Guerrilla at the time, I forgot his name, Evan and Christophe had just ran into him at GDC. They just happened to be talking about V-Sync. He was like 'oh yeah, we fixed that a couple of weeks ago. Here's the code insert.' Evan called me and he's like, 'I can't fucking believe it. We could have just fixed it if we'd known.' We just didn't know."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/04/rising-to-greatness-the-history-of-naughty-dog?page=15

Sharpeye

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You can really tell that Sony studios are very connected by just playing their games. I recall GG talking about how ND helped them with snow effects in Killzone 3 or how Santa Monica got help from both ND and GG with some tech issues in God of War, not to mention the Kojima (not 1st party, but still) using GG engine. This cooperation also influences their game design. The Lake of Nine for God of War felt like a much more fleshed out Uncharted open area chapter with the boat stories being similar to the jeep conversations, same with the segway conversations when you interrupt and resume conversations. They build upon the positives while also helping each other out in a very friendly competitive manner. Some people may see this as a negative (all sony games are the same meme) but I see it as a great positive.

Oct 27, 2017
The thing they need to fix is the linear structure of the game. Open up these levels a bit and please make combat areas not obvious.

This is what I mean:
COMBAT610.jpg

Walking into these area you would know there is going to be combat and this turns the game which is aiming to look realistic very gamey looking and breaks immersion.

I played the first game for the combat because I didn't care about the story or characters so I decided it is the closest thing to a Manhunt clone which was a good thing so I hope the fix that.

As for the rest, yeah, now ND will try to surpass what was done in God of War, and then SSM will try to surpass TLOU 2, and so on
Need what exactly?

Both games are going for different experience while sharing similiar settings.

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot wait to see what Sonys first studios can do with some beefier hardware. God of war, Uncharted 4 and HZD looks insanly good on a 1,2 tf machine, what will they look like on a 10tf machine???

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017

I think Bend are going to see quite some success with Days Gone.

It will be their most successful release by far.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
You can really tell that Sony studios are very connected by just playing their games. I recall GG talking about how ND helped them with snow effects in Killzone 3 or how Santa Monica got help from both ND and GG with some tech issues in God of War, not to mention the Kojima (not 1st party, but still) using GG engine. This cooperation also influences their game design. The Lake of Nine for God of War felt like a much more fleshed out Uncharted open area chapter with the boat stories being similar to the jeep conversations, same with the segway conversations when you interrupt and resume conversations. They build upon the positives while also helping each other out in a very friendly competitive manner. Some people may see this as a negative (all sony games are the same meme) but I see it as a great positive.

The similarities are subtle, but i'm sure Sony's studios get similar inspiration from playing third party games as well. You can see a lot of the same commonalities if you look at games like GTA, AC, RDR etc..

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man no hot take that one of them should discover something other than the third person viewpoint? /s

Anyway good way to raise the floor within the first parties and have the lesser known devs have a far better chance to surprise us.

I would be very interested how they all work with MM as they seem to be far more experimental.

ps3ud0 8)

Oct 26, 2017
Rare had something similar going on internally back in the late SNES - N64 days. Competition is a very important part of becoming better yourself and it also shows with Sony's 1st party Devs.

PurelyChris

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
You've got to wonder how much influence in the game development process the Director of Communications (PR Guy) has.

Not much is my guess.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Then why didn't they get the excellent and superb motion blur tech from Insomniac but instead they are still using their old flawed motion blur from Uncharted 4 which causes heavy ghosting and artefacts in TLOU2 or at least improve their own one?

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017

'poor Bend', really?

Just remember, people used to shit talk Guerilla Games just the same - at least give Bend the benefit of the doubt. They've made some great games.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
'poor Bend', really?

Just remember, people used to shit talk Guerilla Games just the same - at least give Bend the benefit of the doubt. They've made some great games.

Oh, but i will. I'll buy the game and support another SP game from Sony. Love Sony's approach to videogames: SP first

I'm just not expecting it to be on par with previous PlayStation exclusives.

Oct 27, 2017
It has been proved a long time ago since the gameplay reveal from E3. They didn't improve on the Uncharted 4 flawed motion blur sadly: https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...trailer-analysis-nx-gamer.49062/#post-9236979

Errr you realize that was an Alpha build right? It's kinda silly to see that and automatically assume that ND doesn't know about it or won't do anything to fix it almost 2 years later. I understand the concern, but I don't feel it's warranted.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Errr you realize that was an Alpha build right? It's kinda silly to see that and automatically assume that ND doesn't know about it or won't do anything to fix it almost 2 years later. I understand the concern, but I don't feel it's warranted.

I hope so but better we highlight this and not get over defensive about it eventhough the game is sublime in every aspect but there is a tangible problem right now and it just hinders the whole package, so the more we get aware of of such problems the more chances ND realize they have to correct them before release. that is the benefit of highliting bugs or problems before release, there would be plenty of time to solve them, but after release, it would be almost impossible.

Last edited:

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Call me crazy but GOW had better story telling than any Naughty Dog game imo.

Last of Us might be a better story, but GOW's storytelling is better.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
The thing they need to fix is the linear structure of the game. Open up these levels a bit and please make combat areas not obvious.

This is what I mean:
COMBAT610.jpg

Walking into these area you would know there is going to be combat and this turns the game which is aiming to look realistic very gamey looking and breaks immersion.

I played the first game for the combat because I didn't care about the story or characters so I decided it is the closest thing to a Manhunt clone which was a good thing so I hope the fix that.
Yeah they actually talked about that at E3, so should hopefully be less of an issue in the next game.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice that their friendly rivalry helps them all improve their craft.

while they all rush to perfect the semi-open world action adventure game that nearly plays itself

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, but i will. I'll buy the game and support another SP game from Sony. Love Sony's approach to videogames: SP first

I'm just not expecting it to be on par with previous PlayStation exclusives.

Honestly, it's not doing much for me, but I'll still be buying it because it's pretty much in my wheel house (which is usually classic arcade of cinematic 3P) for setting and theme. Just a bit worried about the survival stuff, I hate busy work and conserving ammo.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I hope so but better we highlight this and not get over defensive about it eventhough the game is sublime in every aspect but there is a tangible problem right now and it just hinders the whole package, so the more we get aware of of such problems the more chances ND realize they have to correct them before release. that is the benefit of highliting bugs or problems before release, there would be plenty of time to solve them, but after release, it would be almost impossible.
They added an option to deactivate the motion blur in UC4. At least there is that.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also will be buying Days Gone on Day 1. I'm not going into it with expectations that it will be anything more than a good, fun game but I hope to be surprised. There is certainly room for an open world narrative driven zombie like game. There aren't exactly a lot of those out there. I had hoped State of Decay 2 would have been something more when they announced it than what it turned out to be so this is the next closest thing to what I was looking for.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Really interesting read, with all these new studios hopefully similar things will happen with Microsoft's 1st party in the future, I know in the past they've done tech sharing with things like the SoT water but now they have more studios hopefully this'll start to happen on a wider scale.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting but not surprising. Certainly seems to be the case with the quality Sony's first party has been pumping out in recent times.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Cory also talked about how they were sending some of their members to other first party studios to learn things.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I know that PSX 2017 got a lot of criticism because of its "talk show format" but one of the things that I most liked about was to see on that show was SIE devs talking to each other.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I can't imagine it's that helpful for the other studios. Naughty Dog is the best dev in the business.