• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most Fraudulent Play in Tournament Star

• Domantas Sabonis

Votes: 31 16.4%
  • Jimmy Butler

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Joel Embiid

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • LeBron James

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Stephen Curry

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • Trae Young

Votes: 74 39.2%
  • Zion Williamson

Votes: 16 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
Not just the NBA. But sports in general has a lingering stench of gambling and the possibility of fixing going on right now. Nasty stuff.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
this is the right answer. People complain all the time about how stars are spineless and have no loyalty but if warriors dump klay that's spineless shit. No team gets a 10 year dynasty. it never happens. you get smart and build around it until the wheels fall off.

So they are supposed to match whatever dumb offer a team gives him? I wish that was the case

I fully expect Orlando to give him an insane amount of money given the fact he'll be 35 and is already a shell of what he used to be. The wheels are already falling off

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not just the NBA. But sports in general has a lingering stench of gambling and the possibly of fixing going on right now. Nasty stuff.

The good thing is that whatever mechanism the NBA and betting agencies have in place to catch these types of actions is clearly working. Hopefully it sends a message to other athletes not to try this.

Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Man, what a family lol.

What can you even say though? How did Porter think he'd be able to pull that off without eventually being found out? Thought he could beat the system lol? Too bad, as he was looking like he had a future as a decent off-the-bench stretch big for us and he blew that all up on some stupid scheme. But also really funny in light of the association being tighly in bed with these sports books/betting sites.

Anyway, on the Dubs, I think they'll probably at a minimum cut CP3 loose since that's 30 mill unguaranteed and then Klay will judge the market and see what he can fetch as a UFA. I wouldn't rule out a return for a super reduced salary but who can say for sure. Lacob has said he wants to avoid being a tax team next year so they'll reduce salary to get under that but I don't think they'll do anything drastic otherwise. I'm sure they'd love to dump that Wiggins contract but that would probably also require adding on picks/prospects and I don't think that's an appealing option either.

So they're gonna just ride out this treadmill of being a declining 40-something win team till Steph retires or wants out to go elsewhere (which I wouldn't expect). Blowing it up is not an easy decision and I don't think they'd want to kill their ticket sales like that in their semi-new building.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
nba-adam-silver.gif

Adam Silver should have come out and said it again.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Betting against yourself/team has to open himself to legal trouble now, right?

Porter completely ruined his whole life. smh

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
No one should be banned from anything for betting that the Raptors are going to lose.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
How stupid do you have to be to risk the opportunity to play in the NBA for a mere 22k in earnings

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I feel like there has to be more to this story, like this was only a fraction of the bets that we know about, or he was already underwater with the kind of people you don't play with. The math doesn't make sense to gamble for those amounts with the salary he was making. If true he's the dumbest motherfucker alive.

Edit: The $80k for $1 million bet makes it seem like the early bets were testing the waters and that was the real payout.

Linkage76

Oct 27, 2017
A new day today. I'm not upset or mad at all. The result last night shouldn't be surprising, but what I didn't expect was them getting blown out.

Warriors are in a heap of trouble in the next year or two. They have aging players and contracts that are not easily movable for good assets. Steph isn't going anywhere as he is still the best player on the team and he is the reason people buy tickets and jerseys. Even if they wanted to trade Steph to a contender, they'd have to trade back 55m dollars worth of salaries. Contenders won't want to do that anyways.

The sensible thing to do is try to get back Klay at a reasonable price around 18-22m a year. Let CP3 and Loon walk ( Looney's partially guaranteed so they can pay him 3m and let him walk). This way they are under the luxury tax. Look at potential star players who can be traded for after a disappointing postseason with a package that involves Wiggins, GP2, Moody and Picks as option A or Wiggins, Kuminga, GP2 and a pick as option B.

They aren't going to tank for Flag as long as Steph is on the team. So the goal is to be competitive for a lower seed again. They aren't going to be a top 6 team at all for a while unless they get a star to play along side Steph.

If they decide that Kuminga is the way to go they should play him, Moody and Podz heavy minutes next year and be a 30-35 win team. At least this way they get significant experience and maybe they become even better for 2026

Whipwhopper

Oct 7, 2020
The best prospect since Zion probably at the top of the 2025 draft lol

Obviously they won't do that though
...what about Wembenyama?

Klay is done, dude needs to really work on some stuff in the offseason. If he can't hit a jumper, he's literally not doing anything. No drives to the basket, no attempts at getting to the line, just missed shots and short little drive and kicks.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
...what about Wembenyama?

Klay is done, dude needs to really work on some stuff in the offseason. If he can't hit a jumper, he's literally not doing anything. No drives to the basket, no attempts at getting to the line, just missed shots and short little drive and kicks.
Clarified above, I meant the high school recruiting classes heading into college (which is Cooper Flagg this year)

Oct 29, 2017
Expecting to see some tweet in a few weeks, "Pelicans' sources are optimistic Zion Williamson will be cleared to play before the start of next season".

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there has to be more to this story, like this was only a fraction of the bets that we know about, or he was already underwater with the kind of people you don't play with. The math doesn't make sense to gamble for those amounts with the salary he was making. If true he's the dumbest motherfucker alive.

Edit: The $80k for $1 million bet makes it seem like the early bets were testing the waters and that was the real payout.

Yeah the Clippers game in January was the test run. there were big bets then too, upward of $20K, and they got paid out. But the bookmakers took notes.

it happens once it is maybe luck, maybe the cost of doing business for bookies. Porter tried to run the same scam a second time and they hard clamped it. The big betting sites are not dumb, they can spot patterns and see where large fluctuations in usual betting pattern occur.

Whipwhopper

Oct 7, 2020
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the only person placing big money bets on Jontay Porter would be...Jontay Porter

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Glad the NBA put the Sixers Heat game first today so we can easily do something else with the rest of our evening once it's over

Nov 27, 2017
California
I've got Heat and Bulls winning tonight
Jimmy plays hyped against 76ers, Bulls, Timberwolves and the SHOOKtics
Coven magic starting back up after Gabe lit the fire last night

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
I don't think you can necessarily extrapolate like that over a smaller sample size and assume thats who these teams really are. The Lakers have a great record in like the last quarter of the season too but I wouldn't believe they could just bring everyone back and be a 55 win team. The Warriors are an old team with old key players. Yes there was some youth on the roster this year that showed out some but those are mostly role players. Your key guys are all gonna be one year older next year. And the league is getting younger and deeper every year (especially in the west). Does that necessarily mean they should just blow it up? Probably not, for the same reason the Lakers probably won't, there's not a ton of flexibility and it's not like you can just dump all these old guys and sign Vic or SGA or whatever. Thats not how the NBA works. If you are blowing it up you are basically saying "We are gonna be terrible for 3-4 years while we reset our cap and start collecting assets" and I can understand why teams aren't exactly in a rush to do that.
39 games isn't a smaller sample size, it's half the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.