• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1st round upset

• #8 Heat over #1 Celtics

Votes: 40 12.8%
  • #6 Pacers over #3 Bucks

Votes: 156 49.8%
  • #8 Pelicans over #1 OKC

Votes: 32 10.2%
  • #7 Lakers over #2 Nuggets

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • #6 Suns over #3 Timberwolves

Votes: 36 11.5%

• Total voters

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Just a reminder that a few years ago the Lakers had KCP/Kuzma/Caruso but decided to trade 2 of those plus a first round pick for Russell Westbrook and then paid THT instead of Caruso lol

This team with better roleplayers could actually compete for a title, but they threw away all their depht..
Title window was slammed shut with the Russ trade, it's taken them years to not really, sorta, kinda, not recover from it

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Each game is like watching the basketball equivalent of the tortoise and the hare. Lakers jump to an early lead, spending a ton of energy and the nuggets just chase them down with a steady pace

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Just a reminder that a few years ago the Lakers had KCP/Kuzma/Caruso but decided to trade 2 of those plus a first round pick for Russell Westbrook and then paid THT instead of Caruso lol

This team with better roleplayers could actually compete for a title, but they threw away all their depht..

Still can't believe they broke that team up like that. Those 3 complemented LeBron and AD so well. I don't even like the Lakers, haha.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
I've never seen a team spam the same play 7 times in a row and a coach never makes any effort to time out to make some sort of adjustment

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
oldbron.png
RhlkJ4m.gif

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen a team spam the same play 7 times in a row and a coach never makes any effort to time out to make some sort of adjustment

It has nothing to do with timeouts. Teams don't magically invent solutions in 90 seconds that they didn't have while scouting and prepping for the series. I never understand this critique with Joe Mazz and it's certainly not a critique here.

The Nuggets are the one team in the NBA with a seemingly unsolvable problem. A timeout ain't fixing that.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
coach for sure fired

will trade all their depth and picks for trae young because that always works

hermit

Oct 25, 2017
5-28 on 3s for nuggets, 5-27 for lakers. this is some doo doo shooting. jamal still can't hit 40% in this series

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Honestly I'm not totally sure what will be a terrible contract in the future given the landscape and uncertainty...but this dude is about to be paid $60M in 3 years, when he'll be 34. I feel OK about that label. You disagree?
After a season where he played 76 games, was a top 10 player in the league, and by far the Lakers best player? Sure, I disagree. If you're not totally sure what will be a terrible contact in the future and dolling it out like that, then yeah.. agree to disagree I guess.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
It has nothing to do with timeouts. Teams don't magically invent solutions in 90 seconds that they didn't have while scouting and prepping for the series. I never understand this critique with Joe Mazz and it's certainly not a critique here.

The Nuggets are the one team in the NBA with a seemingly unsolvable problem. A timeout ain't fixing that.

You know what the solution was? To tell whoever was guarding Gordon to box him the fK out or even attempt to guard him. He was wide open on almost all the plays. Otherwise why the f do you have time outs Or a coach at all. Why should that take you more than a minute?

Oh and by the way, i'm being generous with 7 times. They have spammed it on the lakers 7 games this season.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The worst part of the Lakers run is they always show flashes of brilliance and then it all goes away half way through the game.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Ham talking about offensive rebounds while laying out three guard lineups over and over again. Hilarious. Again why is max on the bench for dinnothing and Gabe nothing?

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
After a season where he played 76 games, was a top 10 player in the league, and by far the Lakers best player? Sure, I disagree. If you're not totally sure what will be a terrible contact in the future and dolling it out like that, then yeah.. agree to disagree I guess.

AD was really good this year. And healthy. And it didn't really matter in terms of winning even with a healthy 39-year old LeBron. I feel pretty comfortable, given his health, age, and impact, that owing AD $130M over 2 seasons starting in 2026 won't be great.

But we're in 2016-land with escalating salaries and noone really knows how far it goes (though ADs deal would escalate) so I can't really say if it'll be damaging or not.

You know what the solution was? To tell whoever was guarding Gordon to box him the fK out or even attempt to guard him. He was wide open on almost all the plays. Otherwise why the f do you have time outs Or a coach at all. Why should that take you more than a minute?

Oh and by the way, i'm being generous with 7 times. They have spammed it on the lakers 7 games this season.

That's fine, though I think they don't have the answers. Regardless, it doesn't come down to calling a timeout and inserting the magic lineup or scheme.

And the Lakers don't have anyone to box out Gordon. LeBron's lack of activity hurt them tonight.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Lakers unlucky to run into this team two years in a row. This Nuggets team is generationally good

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand how you play the exact same team 11 times, and you lose all of them in the exact same way nearly each time.

For all the jokes that will get tossed at LeBron once again, that is a pretty huge coaching failure to not be able to craft up a method to counter a common opponent & perennial contender over the course of two years, despite having two of the best players in the league on your roster. The GM needs the once-over, too cuz what the fuck is this lack of depth on your bench & inconsistency in your other major starters?

Gorillaz

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucked up that even with the strong start you knew Denver would flip the switch in the 3rd

Dlo spent the game just doing cardio lmao this AD/Bron era of lakers prob joever

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
AD was really good this year. And healthy. And it didn't really matter in terms of winning even with a healthy 39-year old LeBron. I feel pretty comfortable, given his health, age, and impact, that owing AD $130M over 2 seasons starting in 2026 won't be great.

But we're in 2016-land with escalating salaries and noone really knows how far it goes (though ADs deal would escalate) so I can't really say if it'll be damaging or not.
Right, it didn't matter in terms of winning this year. That doesn't make it a bad contract, I don't see the correlation there at all. People throw "blow it up" around way too casually. You pray that your team has a player as impactful as AD on both ends of the floor. I'm not arguing his salary won't be $10m/year inflated over the last few years of his contract, but that's still not a terrible contact for what youre getting. There is a *vast* chasm between "this is a super team-friendly contract", and "this is a terrible contract"

Nov 27, 2017
California
LeBron Lakers era wasn't a failure
Championship
In season tournament chip
Conference finals
Playoff runs

They just fumbled the roster and players were a let down several years

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
The Lakers are not a serious team
Understood the reference.gif. This
I don't understand how you play the exact same team 11 times, and you lose all of them in the exact same way nearly each time.

For all the jokes that will get tossed at LeBron once again, that is a pretty huge coaching failure to not be able to craft up a method to counter a common opponent & perennial contender over the course of two years, despite having two of the best players in the league on your roster. The GM needs the once-over, too cuz what the fuck is this lack of depth on your bench & inconsistency in your other major starters?

Exactly my point. They are losing the same way. Let me give you a perfect example that everyone here can look and see. Every single time lakers go on a run and nuggets call a time out, 80% of the time they come back with a play for MPJ OFF a screen for a 3. They have done it for three straight games and the lakers still can't seem to understand it. But the play that frustrates me is the cuts baseline and offensive rebounds. No Effort to box out whatsoever and you know what is not helping the lakers? Ham going three fucking guards for Huge stretches of time with guards that can't fucking shoot. It's annoying. Or you know what's even more annoying why would anyone in there right might double off MPJ or Jamal one pass away? Take the fucking two from jokic. This scheme hasn't worked the whole series but the lakers keep spamming it. WTF. They don't even know how to close out. This is even more jarring coming from the knicks team where they cover the man off the double so perfectly but they rarely double embiid off maxey

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
3s still aren't going down for us. We're in a slump from deep and still can beat them.

That 12-0 record against them is going to be sweet.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Understood the reference.gif. This

Exactly my point. They are losing the same way. Let me give you a perfect example that everyone here can look and see. Every single time lakers go on a run and nuggets call a time out, 80% of the time they come back with a play for MPJ for a 3 of a screen. They have done it for three straight games and the lakers still can't seem to understand it. But the play that frustrates me is the cuts baseline and offensive rebounds. No Effort to box out whatsoever and you know what is not helping the lakers go three fucking guards for Huge stretches of time with guards that can't fucking shoot. It's annoying. Or you know what's even more annoying why would anyone in there right might double of MPJ or Jamal one pass away? Take the fucking two from jokic. This scheme hasn't worked the whole series but the lakers keep spamming it. WTF. They don't even know how to close out. This is even more jarring coming from the knicks team where they cover the man off the double so perfectly but they rarely double embiid of maxey
I get what you are saying, but you know, if it was that easy to "just stop those Nuggets plays" then everyone would do it and it wouldn't be as effective as it is. This Nuggets roster was built very intentionally through the draft and key trades. They've been playing together as a group for a long time. It's easy to say "well just don't let AG cut to the baseline!" Ok fine stop that, then watch Jokic pick you apart with someone else that gets wide open like MPJ or KCP. Or watch him back you down or play the 2 man game with Murray. The Nuggets have so many ways to beat you.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
I get what you are saying, but you know, if it was that easy to "just stop those Nuggets plays" then everyone would do it and it wouldn't be as effective as it is. This Nuggets roster was built very intentionally through the draft and key trades. They've been playing together as a group for a long time. It's easy to say "well just don't let AG cut to the baseline!" Ok fine stop that, then watch Jokic pick you apart with someone else that gets wide open like MPJ or KCP. Or watch him back you down or play the 2 man game with Murray. The Nuggets have so many ways to beat you.

That's absolutely fair. But you know what? I don't expect it to be easy. Just show some mental effort. Don't have three guards on a team with KCP, MPJ and Gordon. It makes no sense. Hayes and Max are better than Gabe and dinwiddie and have played more minutes with the team than Gabe and dinwiddie. Both these players have given us nothing. Gabe mostly cause he is still recovering from knee injury and dinwiddie is just shit. The thing with the lakers they can't stop anything the nuggets do. Nothing. Usually with a decent team you see and attempt to or an adjustment to certain players. Nuggets coach is just so much better and there is no Better way to show that by all the adjustments they make after the first quarter when lakers have shown there hand.