• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1st round upset

• #8 Heat over #1 Celtics

Votes: 40 12.8%
  • #6 Pacers over #3 Bucks

Votes: 156 49.8%
  • #8 Pelicans over #1 OKC

Votes: 32 10.2%
  • #7 Lakers over #2 Nuggets

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • #6 Suns over #3 Timberwolves

Votes: 36 11.5%

• Total voters

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I get what you are saying, but you know, if it was that easy to "just stop those Nuggets plays" then everyone would do it and it wouldn't be as effective as it is. This Nuggets roster was built very intentionally through the draft and key trades. They've been playing together as a group for a long time. It's easy to say "well just don't let AG cut to the baseline!" Ok fine stop that, then watch Jokic pick you apart with someone else that gets wide open like MPJ or KCP. Or watch him back you down or play the 2 man game with Murray. The Nuggets have so many ways to beat you.
Yeah the Nuggets are just so well constructed and have been through it together so much. I don't doubt any player in their main rotation to shy away from the moment - they know their role and execute it no matter if they're up 10 or down 10. Even with how good Jokic is, they are absolutely more than the sum of their parts.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Even a Disneyland title is still a title, definitely a success. If they don't destroy their depth they maybe get another.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
That Lakers's 2020-2021 team was a good one too. It was just a year plagued with injures, which caused them to overreact. I was really sad they traded KCP too, and right after they gave him that contract.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
speaking of Russ I wish his Ego had let him ring chase with the Nuggets last year.

He's been a really good 6th man and as a fan I hope he gets himself a title at some point (can't see it happening with the clips

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
LeBron has been a Laker since 2019. Has this era been a success?
Thinking more on this, have there been any other teams other than the Nuggets and Bucks that have been more successful overall than the Lakers since 2019? When you take into account playoff success + a championship being the ultimate goal (of course this current season notwithstanding, if the Celtics chip this year of course they've been more successful overall since 2019)

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Who knew Wemby beating the Nuggets for his last game of the szn, dropping them into the 2nd seed would screw the Lakers. lol

Gonna guess Pelinka will sell hard on a Reaves, Rui & 3 Firsts trade package in a bid for either Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Who knew Wemby beating the Nuggets for his last game of the szn, dropping them into the 2nd seed would screw the Lakers. lol

Gonna guess Pelinka will sell hard on a Reaves, Rui & 3 Firsts trade package in a bid for either Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell.
I'm gonna predict Reaves, Rui, and DLO play like their NBA lives depend on it in Game 4

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Still lots to be proud of if youre a Lakers fan. Bubble champs and the IST champs. You can sleep easy with those accolades.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Wait, are we on the Lakers bubble chip is not legit or something? lol.

Come on now, they earned that trophy. Stahp.

As for the LeBron era. They got a chip, it's successful.

I wish our 213 Era had a chip :(

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
as someone who would feel fortunate if I get to see my team win one title in my lifetime, I think the Lakers fanbase has it pretty good lol

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
LeBron ERA Lakers are successful, they won a chip in a highly competitive West.

Also this fucked us up good. But that's part of the game; it happens.

Screen-Shot-2021-03-20-at-1.22.53-PM-1024x572.jpg

Gameflow

Apr 14, 2022
I am a lakers fan, but I am not suprised by the performance tonight. I said it already after the press conference on the lakers reddit, that they guys looked like beaten players there. I am really sad for Dlo and Rui, since I really like them, but they won't have any more future in LA. Especially Dlo most likely cost himself quiet alot of money with that playof performance once again.

From the Lakers community I really don't get the hat Rob Pelinka gets: I still think he is doing a somwhat good job.Especially considering that at the beginning of the season alot of fans and experts praised the direction they team went. BTW I also believe that the Westbrook deal was more on Bron,AD and Buss than on him tbh. But still looking back, this is the moment everything went downhill and the team is still recovering from that. Unfortunatelly they also misjudged the need for a real big guy and imo slept on a decent/good center on the market when Theis was let go (like they imo did some years back with Hartenstein).

I am wondering what the Lakers will do next season for sure: All that talk about a third star again makes me very nervous. TBH I also can't wait when Lebron will finally be gone from the team. Don't get me wrong: I am thankful for what he did for the Team and the performance he is giving you is incredible (regardless of his age). But also he added alot of noise into the already noisy Lakers Franchise. I am so annoyed by that "win now" mentality that is surrounding the team since he arrived. A great team has to grow and almost clearing the table every season does really not help. But yet again, this year also proves me wrong, so good thing I am not in the front office I guess :) It is just sad to have such a great and healthy season from AD + Lebron, yet the team is struggeling that much.

Now the last thing I have is the hope that the Mavs can beat the clippers (which is horrible since I also can't stand the mavs anymore because of Luka and Irving) and somehow a miracle happens in the east and the celtics will lose*

*please don't tell that any laker fan: i actually think this celtics team is amazing. super happy for tatum.....

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Catching up on Sixers/Knicks, now in the 2nd quarter.

Man, fuck Embiid for that dirty shit. He's super lucky he wasn't ejected as Robinson could have been seriously hurt by that. I had no skin in the game before this and just wanted a fun series between two rivals, but now I'm fully rooting for the Knicks to win this series. Embiid doesn't deserve to win shit if all he does is endlessly complain to the refs while pulling shit like that.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
And now with the "whoopsie, my bad!" Draymond nut shot on the same player he already tried to hurt.

I really liked Embiid. This might be the game I turn on him.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Saw the highlights of Lakers/Nugs and took a look at the boxscore... what the hell happened to Rui and Dlo? 5 points total combined is fucking unacceptable for two starters on this team.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Even a Disneyland title is still a title, definitely a success. If they don't destroy their depth they maybe get another.

This Lakers team? Not a chance.

The West is right on cusp of a big power shift, with multiple young teams ready to become contenders within a couple of years. If this Lakers team isn't going to do it right now then they definitely aren't when the Nuggets are still this good, Wolves and Ant continue to get better, OKC level up even further with playoff experience, the Kings continue to play well, the Grizzlies get Ja and Bane back and return to their top 3 seed contention, and the Rockets continue their rapid pace of improvement. Not to mention the possibility of the Pels fulfilling their potential and in a few years maybe a Wemby led Spurs resurgence.

Unless they really shake things up its looking far more likely they'll be consistently out of the playoffs period than be in contention for a title in their current guise.

Lmao. The wildly unrealistic one-sided trade scenarios suggested by Lakers and Warriors fans always entertain me. Please never stop.

Last edited:

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
This is the ceiling of this Lakers team with this coach. I would want to see this team with a more competent coach before any trade talks, especially since Lakers doesn't have too many realistic good trades to make without sacrificing all the depth (that's already lacking). Unless they trade LeBron which will never happen.

But it is very likely that FO will overreact and do another Westbrook like trade and fuck up some more years.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Lakers fan will get mad at me, but I really think Darvin is really good coach lol
They run a lot of good play like triple stacks play at end of game two but I feel Lebron team just too big for him, sometime the team just refuse to run his playbook because Bron decide to do so.
Its in regular season but Lakers had winning record when bron sit and its very obvious they running more Darvin's play

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Embiid is going full villain mode, I can't stand his style of play and he needs more hate as a dirty ass player who can't take but likes to dish it out.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Embiid playing through Bell's palsy is crazy. I knew he looked off ever since he fell down in game 1. At first, I thought it was a concussion.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Lakers fan will get mad at me, but I really think Darvin is really good coach lol
They run a lot of good play like triple stacks play at end of game two but I feel Lebron team just too big for him, sometime the team just refuse to run his playbook because Bron decide to do so.
Its in regular season but Lakers had winning record when bron sit and its very obvious they running more Darvin's play

So he would be maybe a good assistant coach. A team coach has to do more than just design plays. He need to react and adapt during games and he needs to impose respect and confidence/motivate the players, Ham does neither of that.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The season eulogy gets written a lot different if the Lakers win 52 games and don't play the Nuggets until the conference finals (again).

The Lakers have landed as a low seed in their last 3 playoff appearances (and missed the playoffs in that stretch) and have two first round exits to show for it, maybe they'll take the beginning of the season seriously next year. Same goes for the Heat who exist in the same binary of conference finals or Cancun based on who they play on rd 1.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The season eulogy gets written a lot different if the Lakers win 52 games and don't play the Nuggets until the conference finals (again).

The Lakers have landed as a low seed in their last 3 playoff appearances (and missed the playoffs in that stretch) and have two first round exits to show for it, maybe they'll take the beginning of the season seriously next year. Same goes for the Heat who exist in the same binary of conference finals or Cancun based on who they play on rd 1.
You're not wrong but for Lebron and the Lakers, for most people isn't it really just "did they win a championship or come up short?"

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Have they ever run a serious play for dlo tho? Like off a screen for a 3? curls, back Screens anything? I've never seen it. It's either a kick out or Stand in the corner. I know it's not his game but in this series when they full press him and same as last year they should have thought about that. It's especially eroneous as he is there best shooter and they can't even pretend To try. And i don't blame rui for anything, lakers pretty much pretend he is not out there on offense.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This season is probably as good as it gets for the Lakers. AD and Bron basically healthy the whole season and both played great. I don't know if that's going to happen two years in a row.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao. The wildly unrealistic one-sided trade scenarios suggested by Lakers and Warriors fans always entertain me. Please never stop.
It'll be the TT + Shump + Nets Pick this summer.

I'm only hoping Spurs don't bid on any of Trae, DJM, Mitchell or Lavine. Rather let Wemby play point center & keep those unprotected Hawks picks.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
It'll be the TT + Shump + Nets Pick this summer.

I'm only hoping Spurs don't bid on any of Trae, DJM, Mitchell or Lavine. Rather let Wemby play point center & keep those unprotected Hawks picks.

I'm not sure what combination of assets actually gets them Trae even if Atlanta really wants rid of him, but he'd actually be a perfect fit on the Spurs with Wemby.

Mitchell less so.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

They are definitely on my radar a bit more, and it's not the rivalry with Boston. At least with LeBron, it's settling in the same way as Kobe, just a fierce rival that I'm still hoping has some highlight competition and moments before he departs the game. I'm just not seeing that happening with this team.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Lakers fans gotta start realizing other teams get to bid on players too lol

Like for Trae(don't see Mitchell going anywhere)

For instance, Pels could offer something like up to 8 firsts, BI or CJ or Herb Jones and some combo of Trey Murphy, Jordan Hawkins, Dyson Daniels, Alvarado.

And TBH I think at least 1-3 other teams could beat that.

….tbc I don't really want Trae but I could see the Pels going that direction given the ceiling this team looks to have hit with BI/Zion