BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the in-game sweat next-gen or ray-tracing exclusive?

I just checked on my PC game and I can't see sweat lol

eSgHaXZ.jpg

4K, Ultra
I played 2K19 with the same kind of sweat seen in this trailer. But then I remembered, I did mod my game, which is skewing my perception a bit.

To really see how good the PC versions can look, you have to use replay/photo mode to get the kind of good closeups you see in these cinematic trailers.

I had something like this, along with other mods to the player models, floors, and whatnot.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Looks really good, but man, shadows are probably too expensive. There's barely any self-shadowing.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
As someone who hasn't played an NBA game since NBA Live '98 I have to ask: how good are these games? Because graphically this looks amazing, but I've heard things about MTX.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
This looks damn good. I used NBA2k14 to show the PS4 to friends and they were really impressed. Didn't really play it much, maybe 40 hours total (more with friends). This might be a good game to show to my non gamer friends that will put the controller down in 5 minutes playing Demon's soul

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Dame shot is like... real life.

Have they mentioned anything about parity on Pc version or is it getting current gen like FIFA?

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a shitty ass trailer lol.

Some faces and expression looked good though but not impressed...

Nov 27, 2017
California
Next gen Boban hype

The tunnel section looked rough but the models looked great, how much is the upgrade price?
you can buy nba 2K on Black Friday for $30 on current gen systems so the upgrade costs $10? $15?
$40/$45 or even $50 compared to $70 is a decent price

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Looks pretty great even if the framerate in parts seemed shaky.

Doubt EA has anything as good looking with their sports games.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
Definitely looks way better than the current game on pc with ultra settings. People saying otherwise are tripping.

I wonder if they're going to charge to update the pc version to match next gen consoles

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
This looks like the NBA version of MLB The Show levels of graphics. Lools great.

Ether

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I now know the first game I'll be playing on my PS5. Looks sensational.

Let's hope 2K doesn't mess up the game with micro transactions and other inventive fuckery.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Looks about as i expected. Sports games not made by EA this gen has always looked pretty good.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox uploaded a trailer too:

Doesn't mention if it's running on a Series X or the PC equilivent, but it still has those same "slowdowns" people keep mentioning.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not into basketball titles, but as a tech showcase, that looked really great.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Cool can't wait to watch.

The NBA 2K Games are always great for graphical showcases in the trailers. The games still look amazing in motion (usually... bugs/jank aside), but the trailers are always jaw droppers. I remember NBA 2K13 or w/e it was being *the* showcase for PS4 when the trailer dropped. I think a ton of people bought that game who have no interest in the NBA, sports games, or 2K just because it was a visual showcase.

2K's facial tech is so good for getting lifelike muscle/face reproduction in game scenarios. I don't know if it's mo-capped or not or how it works, but it's usually really good for the stars.

Example, check Dame's neck muscles:

tAQmhY0.jpg

It adds an element of realism that most facial captures for sports games just don't really get *right* so in the past you see some dude screaming, but it's just liek their face stamped onto a body and it doesn't look as natural.

Graphics look great, but the sizzle reels for current gen 2K games also look insanely good too. One thing that stands out to me here is the amount of activity on/around the court. There's a scoreboard cam shot of cheerleaders, mascott, staff, etc piling onto the court at a time out and it looks way more natural/real with a ton of models coming on. Whether that is what ships who knows, we've seen the games have a lot more models/detail in pre-release trailers and then tune that back in the past when the game ships. Madden is similar in that their trailers look really, really good usually, and then the game ships and it's still the same in-engine graphics, but like... the gameplay basically looks like Madden from any year in this gen, and it's really only replay mode and some cut scenes where you're super impressed. NBA 2K though does it much, much better. Their broadcast realism is so good, and it's just something Madden doesn't even bother trying to replicate.

Hoping they do the bubble arena with all the visuals. MIght not be technologically possible, really hard to get all of those videoboards and get the game running at a good clip.

$70 a game makes a difference guys

Don't pay full price for a sports game.

Might not be the case this year, but the 2K games have been steeply discounted around Christmas every year. Like 2-3 years ago the game was $3 or something on Christmas day, and then this year NBA 2K was on GamePass. Sports games are financed by microtransactions and within ~60 days of release they're usually steeply discounted to tap into that sweet MTX action.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I remember the 2K jump from PS3 to PS4 and i'm not suprised they're showing this.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely looks way better than the current game on pc with ultra settings. People saying otherwise are tripping.

I wonder if they're going to charge to update the pc version to match next gen consoles

They might leave PC at current gen for as long as they support PS4/X1. EA tends to do it with the excuse that the majority of people trying to play the PC copy are using low end hardware.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hasn't played an NBA game since NBA Live '98 I have to ask: how good are these games? Because graphically this looks amazing, but I've heard things about MTX.
The gameplay is as good as it gets. If you're only interested in single player, you'll probably have a blast.

If you get into the MyPlayer competitive stuff that's all the rage, you're gonna have to shell out some extra cash or dedicate your life to the grind. That's where people get annoyed.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Looks amazing. Animation is still holding it back though, as with pretty much all sports games. Maybe motion matching or some type of system using AI would be a big help.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
The animations are sticking out like a sore thumb with the improved graphics

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I haven't played a 2K sports game in a few years so forgive me if this sounds hyperbolic:

THIS LOOKS INSANE!!!!

The smile on my face when Don Luka showed up :)

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, think we have a 'show off' next-gen game here. Didn't expect it to look that good.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Actually I'm really impressed with the improvements to the non player characters like Mark Cuban and Steve Kerr.

Oct 30, 2017
The gameplay is as good as it gets. If you're only interested in single player, you'll probably have a blast.

If you get into the MyPlayer competitive stuff that's all the rage, you're gonna have to shell out some extra cash or dedicate your life to the grind. That's where people get annoyed.

yeah, if all you want is traditional single-player season/career/manager modes etc then NBA 2K is awesome. the game itself plays super well and you can ignore all the MTX crap.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
2K Sports are the best at this next gen shit.

I remember how great 2K14 looked on my X1, a year or two ahead of the other games I had around launch.

Too bad I won't enjoy 2K21 due to VC gacha bullshit. So I gotta pass.