• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Still the best looking sports game by a wide margin. Whichever developer can get eyes right though will take the crown. These peoples' eye still look terrifying and fake

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Skipping solely based on the messed up NBA rosters in real life. Online play won't be fun when all you face are the Nets or the Lakers.

Oct 25, 2017
2lY.gif

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Did they just really drop a trailer with no clip from the reigning MVP lmao?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Looks exactly the same.

It's all about the features and this year they fix the stupid rep system where you were forced to play park games just to enter the city.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
The shot of Kelly Oubre cheering on the bench after he was so certain he should be getting starter money and mins this year is justā€¦.sensational.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably skip out the next couple 2K games until they make the switch to next gen only.

Jul 26, 2018
Never seen Luka do the three to the dome celly Melo does...?

Nice touch with Curry and Dillon Brooks trading glares

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this video must have a different title for you.

Nope. Trailers are usually sizzle reels of whatever the game is. Don't get smart with me because folks STILL...STILL... act like they don't know how this 2k thing works after how long of them dropping info in this order. You'll get gameplay most likely next week or so.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Trailers are usually sizzle reels of whatever the game is. Don't get smart with me because folks STILL...STILL... act like they don't know how this 2k thing works after how long of them dropping info in this order. You'll get gameplay most likely next week or so.

The game launches next week or so, but sure, it's totally fine.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
More trash. Interested in what system they lie about 'rebuilding from the ground up' then fucking the game up with every 2nd patch and hotfix.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Where's the gameplay? Cool trailer overall, lots of replay cuts close up, good choice of music, but was hoping for at least a snippet of actual gameplay.

Looks excellent overall

OP
OP
Leclair

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
I'll probably skip out the next couple 2K games until they make the switch to next gen only.
Unlike FIFA, Madden, CoD, and other cross-gen franchisees, NBA 2K isn't the same game/engine on last and current gen. So you won't see improved graphics for current gen, when they drop last gen. That leap happened last year

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
was initially kind of excited about seeing Nets Vince Carter but then i noticed that they just used the same player model from right before he retired lol

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Unlike FIFA, Madden, CoD, and other cross-gen franchisees, NBA 2K isn't the same game/engine on last and current gen. So you won't see improved graphics for current gen, when they drop last gen. That leap happened last year
Madden and fifa also two diff engine cross gen too. And all of the next gen stuff isn't coming to PC for madden, and NBA prob same for FIFA too this year.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Daaaammmnnn. I got 2k21 and it was fun, I hadn't done a my career in years so it was fun to see what they switched up, but it's disappointing to hear that that's all the innovation we'll be getting for a while.

I'd love for 2K to get back into simulation football games. Their tech would work so damn well.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Defense

The primary goal for defense was to give gamers the tools to be able to really change the outcome of the game on the floor and at the rim. If you were a great perimeter defender who anticipated well, we wanted you to be able to clamp up the dribbler and force a pass. If you were a rim protector, we wanted to give you the ability to send away weak shot attempts at will.

The shot contest and blocking systems were completely rebuilt, leading to several new snatch blocks and volleyball spikes that never happened before. The shot contest rewrite removed the "ghost contests" that many complained about, and this year, being out of position or not getting a hand in the shooter's face will lead to some easy buckets for the offense. On the other hand, properly crowding shooters with good contests will result in plenty of bricks and airballs, as they should.

Next-Gen Defending

For floor defenders, body-up rides and bumps feel much more rewarding; particularly for those using the PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller, thanks to the haptic feedback. Shifts, launches, stops, and cuts all feel much tighter, and PS5 players will see a lot less sliding on both ends of the floor as a result of improvements to foot-planting.

Defense was also a major focus on the next-gen AI front. New on-ball defensive positioning logic gives defenders more consistency in their positioning, regardless of their distance from the basket. This, along with motion improvements, allowed us to tighten up general defensive positioning, which means PS5 players will feel more defensive pressure on-ball than was present in last year's game.

Dribbling

This year, the goal was to marry the Basic Size-ups and Signature Size-ups together and give each player a unique feel and rhythm when sizing up, while also giving the gamer complete control over how the series plays out. The speed stick that we introduced on PS5 last year also returns. So, flicking the stick quickly results in quicker dribbles while slower flicks give you more rhythmic ones. There are around 50 unique signature size-up packages and 32 unique dribble sequences to choose from. Make sure to give all of them a try to find out which one best suits the rhythm of how you like to play. From the movement to the new moves and combos, they'll be identical between PS5 and PS4!

Post Play

Now a little treat for the bigs. We spent a lot of time upgrading post play with loads of new content, including new movement and a new arsenal of back-to-basket moves. Similar to face-up ball handling, many of the new moves are cancels and aborts. For example, start a post spin by twirling the Pro Stick, then immediately move the left stick in the opposite direction for a spin back. There are also new R2 fakes that keep you engaged in post, allowing you to chain multiple fakes together without disengaging.

Shooting

Shooting has undergone many changes for NBA 2K22. There's a new shot meter with a dynamically resizing make window. This window will expand when you're taking high-quality shots with good shooters, but will shrink when heavily contested, shooting with a low-rated shooter, or fatigued. The major emphasis for shooting success this year is Shot IQ. The teams that work for open looks and take smart shots are going to see much more success than the teams that force up bad shots. We've heavily focus-group tested the new shooting mechanics with players of all skill levels and believe this is the best that shooting has ever felt in NBA 2K.

Finishing

We've revamped the blocking system in NBA 2K22 and we're now giving rim protectors more tools to make great stops at the rim. On top of that, on PS5, we've added timing meters to both alley-oop and aggressive skill dunk attempts. When an alley pass is in the air, you'll need to press the Shot Button at just the right time to finish off the oop. And on the dunking side, holding Sprint and pulling straight down on the Pro Stick will trigger the aggressive skill dunks.
blog.playstation.com

NBA 2K22 gameplay deep dive

Details on changes and enhancements ahead of the gameā€™s September 10 launch.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for sharing Loudninja. I just saw this somewhere else and wondered if Era was discussing it. I thought what I've read so far was interesting though I'm taking it with a grain of salt, of course.

I don't expect many of the naysayers to give any credit to the devs for their work but defensive AI improvements, shooting, and dribbling are what the game is all about.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay details sound interesting and there are some things there that the game needs so much, including the shooting revamping and the changes to the shooting contest, but I wait to see them in action. Because on paper also the changes done in 2k21 sounded good and the execution was awful for some of them, especially the shooting. I don't trust 2k one bit with these.

Nov 9, 2017
I got 2K21 PS5 for cheap, but it felt just like a PS4 game with some light touches. I actually kind of want to get this since I love Dirk and Luka, but I cannot justify spending more money if it isn't going to be a true next gen upgrade this time around.