• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
least-three-women-claimed-tiktok-79038435.jpg

Source

Several women have come forward on social media sharing incidents in which they said they were punched by men while they were walking the streets of downtown Manhattan in broad daylight in the last month.

Multiple videos — which were uploaded to TikTok — have picked up traction in the last week, with women online sharing their safety concerns in comments and reply videos. One woman said she was assaulted walking home from class. Another said she was assaulted on her way to work. A third woman said she was attacked walking her dog. At least two of the women described suspects with similar characteristics.

New York police said Tuesday they are investigating two recent incidents of women being assaulted. While police wouldn't confirm that the incidents described in the TikTok videos are those they are investigating, they shared that they're looking into two cases that are very similar to accounts posted on social media. Officials said it's unclear whether the two incidents they are investigating are connected.

Sarah Harvard, 30, was among the women who shared her experience online after she saw other women post videos. Harvard, who posted Tuesday on X, said she was walking to her comedy gig on the Lower East Side when she was punched in the back of the head near the Delancey Street and Essex Street station the evening of March 19.
"I was not on my phone. I was walking somewhere, and I got attacked from behind," she told NBC News. "So it's really violating that I didn't see it coming and there was nothing I could've done, really, to prevent it from happening." She described experiencing a "spiky pain, throbbing feeling" in her head as she was walking home after the incident. The rest of the night, she said, she had nausea, headaches, dizziness and blurry vision. Harvard said she initially didn't go to the police because she thought that it was an isolated incident and that officials might brush it off. Since she learned that more women have come forward online to say they've been assaulted, she said, she plans to file a police report.

Since the attack, Harvard said, she is struggling with feeling unsafe in the city she calls home.
"What's really unbearable is that general never-ending feeling now of feeling unsafe and feeling constantly alert, constantly looking over my shoulder," she said. "This anxiety is manifesting physically, too. I slept last night for two hours; the night before, I slept for four hours. I'm having trouble breathing, and my chest is getting really tight."

In their TikTok videos, women have echoed similar sentiments describing their interactions with their alleged assailants. A woman said she was walking Monday when a man punched her in the face, causing a big lump to develop on her head.
"You guys, I was literally just walking and a man came up and punched me in the face," she said tearfully in a TikTok video. "Oh, my God, it hurts so bad. I can't even talk."

The woman didn't say where exactly she was when she was assaulted. NBC News conducted a geolocation of where she was walking in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. Police said an incident happened at 10:20 a.m. in the area of West 16th Street and 7th Avenue when "an unknown individual hit her in the head."
"The victim fell to the ground and suffered injuries to the left side of her face. The victim was treated at a local medical facility," police said in a report shared with NBC News.

She shared an update to TikTok in which she said she was looking at her phone when a man walking a dog assaulted her.
"There was so much room on the sidewalk, and, like, literally nobody was around, and I guess this man — I don't know if he punched me or if he elbowed me. I literally passed out," she said. "So I don't really remember, but I think he just was really mad that my head was down."

Over a week before, in an area just over a mile south from where this woman was, another woman reported getting punched by a man who apologized before he hit her.
"I literally just got punched by some man on the sidewalk," the woman said in a TikTok video. "He goes 'Sorry' and then punches me in the head."

Police say an incident happened at around 11:48 a.m. March 17 while a woman was walking her dog in the area of Kenmare and Mulberry streets.
"No injuries were reported as a result of this incident," police said in a report.

In an update posted to her TikTok account, the woman addressed questions she received about what she was doing leading up to the assault.
"I wasn't looking down at my phone," she said. "I was just literally across the street from my building walking my dog to the dog park. I had seen the man. He was, like, slightly walking toward me, and I didn't think anything of it. And then he says, 'Sorry,' and hits me and was immediately gone."

Neither of the women who posted on TikTok responded to requests for comment. Several others who also posted videos didn't immediately respond to requests for comment. Many women online have since expressed that seeing the videos of other women sharing their alleged experiences have left them feeling uneasy.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with these guys? Anyway, if you're really worried about it get yourself a pistol.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of similar news from Barcelona from last year i think. Really scary stuff. Proving to be a systemic problem and i've also read similar accounts in my own city.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
The fuck is wrong with people?
What the fuck is wrong with these guys? Anyway, if you're really worried about it get yourself a pistol.
I've been keeping up with these stories on Tiktok and from most of these stories, it sounds like this is all somehow being done by the same individual given the vague descriptions we've gotten rather than a group of people doing this. It's so fucking sad, man.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I've been keeping up with these stories on Tiktok and from most of these stories, it sounds like this is all somehow being done by the same individual given the vague descriptions we've gotten rather than a group of people doing this. It's so fucking sad, man.

I hope it's just one dude and they catch him. There's enough problems in the world and now these women and others have to worry about randomly being assaulted. I'm sure most women have that worry in the back of their minds, but still they shouldn't have to deal with it.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
So when aer these assholes going to upload their videos "PUNCHING A STRANGER LOL!!!!"

Awful, awful people.
What a ridiculous response. Yes, let's just arm all the innocent people so everyone is walking around nervous and loaded.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
NYC does not issue concealed carry permits for the vast majority of people.

Good luck with that in NYC. It's one of the most difficult places in the country to get a license.

Thanks for letting me and it's probably for the best. I really don't like guns, but sometimes it's the only way for women and minorities to protect themselves. I definitely do not advocate just randomly shooting people, protection only.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
In NYC?

"Worried"…they have ptsd from a traumatic experience. Getting a weapon wouldn't do shit.
This is another thing. A lot of women have been posting about looking for things to buy on Amazon to keep in their purses just to maintain some level of safety and most options don't work due to not being allowed to be shipped to NYC. It's really not as easy as people think it is.
I hope it's just one dude and they catch him. There's enough problems in the world and now these women and others have to worry about randomly being assaulted. I'm sure most women have that worry in the back of their minds, but still they shouldn't have to deal with it.
Man, me too. People shouldn't have to be walking around worrying about this and thankfully, I've seen a lot of NYC men talk about this and how they're going to put an effort to be on the look out if the manage to be on the same block or general area as these women in case anything happens. It feels like this is gonna require a community effort until something happens with the police getting involved.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Ugh this is sad to read and hopefully authorities catch the perps before more people are hurt.

This won't help the NYC is so much worse now narrative I keep hearing, but with 8+ million people in a relatively small area there will unfortunately always be crime and shit going on and it sucks.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017

As noted by others, not usually a thing in NYC. And even if it were, an untrained person is likely to have the gun taken away from them by the assaulter anyway.

Finally, it sounds like these victims are essentially getting sucker punched. They wouldn't have enough time to draw and aim the gun. Even if they did, this is real life, and NYC, so there would be a big risk of hitting innocent bystanders.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Should have camera footage soon. They're camera's everywhere.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Man, me too. People shouldn't have to be walking around worrying about this and thankfully, I've seen a lot of NYC men talk about this and how they're going to put an effort to be on the look out if the manage to be on the same block or general area as these women in case anything happens. It feels like this is gonna require a community effort until something happens with the police getting involved.

That's good to hear, I'm glad some people are stepping up and keeping an eye out.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Horrifying stuff.

I don't live in NYC but I have friends who do and I visit pretty often and it's always felt pretty safe to me due to all the people. Like that it would be hard to get away with something like this just due to there always being people about to witness. So I get why it would shake you up.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
When we lived in NYC I would about 2-3 times a year walk half a block behind my wife to see what it was like when I wasn't around. Horrifying shit.

Its not a NYC specific issue, but there is a LOT of anonymity afforded in a city that large where you are a faceless nameless person who can sort of do whatever and have it be very unlikely to get back to you.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Also need all social media sites to agree to take these videos off and ban all who post them. Don't give this any air whatsoever.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Been seeing these on my fyp recently, it's disgusting. I seriously don't get why the hell anyone would just punch randoms in the face.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Ah yes, the ol' "everyone has a gun" utopia. Nevermind the fact that some of these women were punched from behind or out of the blue.People advocating for more gun ownership really just love to parrot the idea without thinking about it for more than 1 second.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally have been hearing more of assaults on women. My sister saw a woman punched in the face in a subway car, and that one was an anti-Asian hate crime. (Also good luck firing a gun to "protect yourself" in a full subway car.)

Those of my girl friends who still live in the city refuse to take the subway late in the evening or early morning when before they felt safe even at 3 am.

The feeling of safety is very different from pre-pandemic. But I also wonder if a big part of it is being more aware of individual incidents because of TikTok and Instagram. Before if you heard about anything outside your circle, it was only if the news covered it.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
How would a pistol protect you from being blindsided by a punch? That's absurd.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine what a scumbag POS you have to be to randomly punch a woman walking down the street.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally have been hearing more of assaults on women. My sister saw a woman punched in the face in a subway car, and that one was an anti-Asian hate crime. (Also good luck firing a gun to "protect yourself" in a full subway car.)

Those of my girl friends who still live in the city refuse to take the subway late in the evening or early morning when before they felt safe even at 3 am.

The feeling of safety is very different from pre-pandemic. But I also wonder if a big part of it is being more aware of individual incidents because of TikTok and Instagram. Before if you heard about anything outside your circle, it was only if the news covered it.

I will say in defense of NYC, the crime stats don't backup that story that the city is crime ridden and unsafe. Yet my female friends and colleagues at work say the same thing as your friends. So I am not sure how to explain it.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
This was almost the entirety of my FYP yesterday, there was like at least 12-15 women I saw who made videos about getting sucker punched by a stranger within the last 48 hours

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I will say in defense of NYC, the crime stats don't backup that story that the city is crime ridden and unsafe. Yet my female friends and colleagues at work say the same thing as your friends. So I am not sure how to explain it.
So you're both right and wrong. Crime stats in general are definitely down as of last year, but we have been seeing an uptick this year.

In mid-2022, there was about one violent crime per one million rides on the subway, according to a New York Times analysis. Since then, the overall crime rate has fallen and ridership has increased, making the likelihood of being a victim of a violent crime even more remote. Last year, overall crime in the transit system fell nearly 3 percent compared with 2022 as the number of daily riders rose 14 percent.

The downward trend stalled early this year, with the number of major crimes in the transit system jumping in January before dipping again in February. Through March 3, there had been three homicides in the system, compared with one in the same period last year, according to police data. Overall, major crimes, including felony assaults, burglaries and grand larcenies, have increased 13 percent so far this year, the data shows.

Through Feb. 25, the authorities tallied six assaults against subway employees, up from five last year, according to police data.

Oct 27, 2017
This shit is frustrating, people shouldn't have to deal with this. Then to make matters worse this'll be used politically instead of actually doing something to help the situation at large.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that pepper spray is by law incredibly difficult to get in NYC.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Crime is statistically still up since pre-COVID.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever is doing this knows who not to assault to avoid getting packed up.