• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Square / Platinum abandoned the game. I played through the game with Kaldaien's fix and didn't have any issues but people give Square a free ride because this fix exists. Its an absolute disgrace that this still 60 euro title has so many basic functional issues that were never addessed.

Grief.exe

Oct 26, 2017
Has little to do with Platinum. Square gave them a small budget to begin with and no funding for a patch.

The blame squarely lies with them.

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
When I first played it, the game wouldn't even start without FAR.
I'm okay with paying for games that have bugs that can be fixed with mods (e.g. Skyrim) but a game that receives no support and doesn't even run without community fixes?
Square won't ever get my money for that (immediately refunded it, even though it broke my heart).

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not a good look for Square. Panic Button patched DOOM on Switch, which was much smaller sales success than Nier was on Steam. There is really no excuse for this. Of course, the game is great even with all tthe issues it has on PC. None the less, it seems Square doesn`t care as much about their PC audience. Square`s thinking is still backwards when it comes to certain things.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not a good look for Square. Panic Button patched DOOM on Switch, which was much smaller sales success than Nier was on Steam. There is really no excuse for this. Of course, the game is great even with all tthe issues it has on PC. None the less, it seems Square doesn`t care as much about their PC audience. Square`s thinking is still backawards when it comes to certain things.
It look like they care about 15 so far

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
It look like they care about 15 so far
We will see how their post launch support will be on the platform, especially when it comes to patches. It`s their flagship title, so one would expect them to do their best. Well, let us hope they do a better job this time.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
We will see how their post launch support will be on the platform, especially when it comes to patches. It`s their flagship title, so one would expect them to do their best. Well, let us hope they do a better job this time.

I think Square Enix wants to push FFXV hard on the PC. The Half-Life 2 tie-in DLC recently, and the big announcement they made, and the way they promote it being the superior version and having a more advanced build than the console's, and them selling it on all major storefronts, etc, etc, etc,

Also, something interesting, at least to me, is they won't use DENUVO. There were no mention for DENUVO in the game's ETA on Steam. It seems like Square Enix wants to win the PC crowd with that game, which is not a bad thing for sure.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting on a heavy discount and will continue to do so. No way I'm paying full price for something that requires miss in order to work.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I think Square Enix wants to push FFXV hard on the PC. The Half-Life 2 tie-in DLC recently, and the big announcement they made, and the way they promote it being the superior version and having a more advanced build than the console's, and them selling it on all major storefronts, etc, etc, etc,

Also, something interesting, at least to me, is they won't use DENUVO. There were no mention for DENUVO in the game's ETA on Steam. It seems like Square Enix wants to win the PC crowd with that game, which is not a bad thing for sure.
They're REALLY talking up the PC version

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/22/final-fantasy-15-windows-edition-pc-interview/

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Can we get a mod edit so it says "Niering a year since release Nier has not been patched on PC".

Because I think we missed a great opportunity here. A Nier miss.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume that most of it's votes were made by pepole that didn't play the game on PC.

The only explanation I can come up with.

Or they just played it with FAR installed and didn't consider the 30 seconds to install the mod much of a problem.

A patch would be nice, but PC + FAR is still the best version of the game.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeap, it's completely ridiculous. Hell, this pissed me off enough that I got the game used on PS4 for cheap. Meh.

FFXV is going to be different I am sure since SE is all in on FFXV whether on console or PC. However it's disgraceful that Square wouldn't approve a patching budget for Nier considering the support the game got from fans on PC.

Edit:
Or they just played it with FAR installed and didn't consider the 30 seconds to install the mod much of a problem.

YeH, let's excuse the publisher and developers because fans spent time and effort to patch the game. Meh.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Even so I don't belive that someone who actually played both D:OS2 and Nier A on PC would vote for Nier.

The port itself isn't great and the game itself is just bearly good. Meawhile D:OS2 is the best CRPG since BG2 and one of the best RPGs of all time.

It shits on Nier A from a pretty high altitude. I guess 2b's ass and yoko taro's shenanigans > actually fantastic games for some.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YeH, let's excuse the publisher and developers because fans spent time and effort to patch the game. Meh.

Didn't say I was excusing it. It's possible to realise the PC version with the mod installed is the best version while also thinking it sucks that it needed it.

It is no different to Dark Souls and DSfix. The port sucks, but if someone wants to play Dark Souls that's the version that'll be recommended (except for the remaster). I can understand why a PC player would still vote for it when voting for their GOTY.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I really like Tabata.

He may not be the best director and he gets some beef by the community, but I find him very passionate and honest about his work.

I hope XV on PC succeeds so we can also get KH3.
Same here, I genuinely think all the games he worked on are mediocre but I can't deny how passionate he is about this stuff. Shame about the quality and all.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even so I don't belive that someone who actually played both D:OS2 and Nier A on PC would vote for Nier.

The port itself isn't great and the game itself is just bearly good. Meawhile D:OS2 is the best CRPG since BG2 and one of the best RPGs of all time.

It shits on Nier A from a pretty high altitude. I guess 2b's ass and yoko taro's shenanigans > actually fantastic games for some.

That's your opinion and that's fine, but I don't think NieR is even close to being "barely good". I think it's great but flawed, even ignoring 2B butt (which I don't care for anyway) and Yoko Taro. Not going to say it's better than DOS2, but I think it's good enough to be on a top 5 list.

That said, the people who actually voted for DOS2 in the Steam thread actually gave it much higher praise than NieR. Unfortunately, just taking raw numbers ends up with the more popular game always winning, and more people played NieR. Both SteamERA and ERAs general GOTY threads have this same problem. We don't do any Wilson scoring or some kind of other weighting factor to remove the effect of popularity like what RPGCodex does.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Didn't say I was excusing it. It's possible to realise the PC version with the mod installed is the best version while also thinking it sucks that it needed it.

It is no different to Dark Souls and DSfix. The port sucks, but if someone wants to play Dark Souls that's the version that'll be recommended (except for the remaster). I can understand why a PC player would still vote for it when voting for their GOTY.
PC Player could play the game and like it but he/she shouldn't have vote for it because it just re-enforced the notion that games should be released and left on that state. Dark Souls 1 was a long time ago and Namco did a lot better with vast majority of their other releases while SE's work is very spotty.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
But of course they funded the DLC because priorities, ey?
I really dislike this particular argument because I'm of the opinion that the PC port of these console first games should be at least equitable to the original release. Holding back content because they couldn't be assed to fix the game doesn't get you there

Why can't we have both a patch and the DLC? It's not that big of an ask. I do get where people are coming from when they say this but still

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I have only played the PS4 Version, but, and correct me if I'm wrong, I have heard that apart from the technical issues on PC they haven't even patched some of the quest bugs that were eventually fixed in the PS4 Version.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC Player could play the game and like it but he/she shouldn't have vote for it because it just re-enforced the notion that games should be released and left on that state. Dark Souls 1 was a long time ago and Namco did a lot better with vast majority of their other releases while SE's work is very spotty.
Nobody said anyone had to do anything. Some people just don't consider it a problem.

If people want to vote for it given their experience of the game, that's down to them.

I do agree with you that it's important to make it clear that it's not okay releasing a game in that state. Not everyone is going to feel that strongly especially when a quick mod fixes nearly every major issue.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017

Most devs who don't see anything good coming out of their ports just decide to never port anything again.

FAR fixes most, If not all of the issues with the game. Yeah It sucks it can't be in the base game, but It takes literally 3 minutes to install it.

A good game is a good game. that's just it, Just because a Port isn't decent doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to state how I liked the game

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
That's your opinion and that's fine, but I don't think NieR is even close to being "barely good". I think it's great but flawed, even ignoring 2B butt (which I don't care for anyway) and Yoko Taro. Not going to say it's better than DOS2, but I think it's good enough to be on a top 5 list.

Top 5 maybe yes but not number one.

It does not deserve that spot just for the fact that without FAR the game is broken on PC. You'd expect the number one PC game in any tops not be a piece of shit that doesn't function out of the box and it was dumped on steam by the devs and left to rot and up to the community to fix it.

Thrown in the game's quality too compared to the competition and it's not even a fair race anymore.

Sakujou

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
was that buggy batman game for pc ever patched? sounds like the same.

console devs dont care about 5 people who buy their games on pc, because 25k pirate them. (i think something like this was once said by a game dev in an interview which is borderline untrue especially for jp devs)

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It does not deserve that spot just for the fact that without FAR the game is broken on PC. You'd expect the number one PC game in any tops not be a piece of shit that doesn't function out of the box and it was dumped on steam by the devs and left to rot and up to the community to fix it.

Thrown in the game's quality too compared to the competition and it's not even a fair race anymore.
Most people in the Steam thread did not vote it number 1. It just made it somewhere in their list (5 votes in order).

Because it made so many lists, it ended up number 1 overall. This is the simple problem with taking popularity votes.

Meanwhile DOS2 was only played by a small percentage of people, but was number 1 on nearly every list. If we weighed against popularity it would have won.

Last edited:

Akiller

Oct 25, 2017
Inb4 Nier:Automata Windows edition with all DLCs included, and the new performance patch*. 39.99 $ .

*The patch will be avaiable exclusively for Nier:Automata Windows edition, owners of the base version will not be able to download it.

Oct 25, 2017

Ok.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, game isnt broken out of the box. FAR fixes framepacing issue on Nvidia, resolution stuff for exclusive fullscreen and some additionnal graphics stuff. Out of the box, you can play the entire game in borderless fullscreen.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, game isnt broken out of the box. FAR fixes framepacing issue on Nvidia, resolution stuff for exclusive fullscreen and some additionnal graphics stuff. Out of the box, you can play the entire game in borderless fullscreen.
While true for the most part, the game actually doesn't support borderless out of the box. You need Borderless Gaming to force it.

It does however mean a functioning version of the game exists without any mod, though.

That cutscene framepacing is still awful without FAR though.