• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
If the PS5 was at 40 million units you would have seen crazy numbers. There aren't enough consoles that people want to play this game on (PS5).

Yeah, I don't think people remember that there were around 55 million ps4s sold when the first Horizon released, as compared to the 18 million or so ps5s that are out there now. That's a huge difference, and it's not as simple as saying, "well, it's crossplatform so there are more systems out there" which, though technically true, ignores that the new system is by far the more desired platform on which to play the game and that the user base still on ps4 is far less active than it was back in 2017.

Between ps5's low install base and the higher retail price of the game, I was expecting about a 25% drop in launch sales, so this is actually quite a good result, imo. Of course, there's really no way to know how well the game does until we see its performance over the next few years, since the first had such a long tail.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see data on the ppl who buy games like this digital, but how many physical games (especially used) do they also buy since they have the option of both?
Yea that's an interesting question, but as you said we don't have any direct data for it.
We do know that PS4 has a tie-ratio(which only counts new-sales, obviously) that's about 50% higher than any console before it (including PS2, which is the previous record holder). So people are buying more (new)games than ever.
While we can't directly correlate used-sales to that, the likelihood of them growing (as % of overall market) seems low based on the above.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't think people remember that there were around 55 million ps4s sold when the first Horizon released, as compared to the 18 million or so ps5s that are out there now. That's a huge difference, and it's not as simple as saying, "well, it's crossplatform so there are more systems out there" which, though technically true, ignores that the new system is by far the more desired platform on which to play the game and that the user base still on ps4 is far less active than it was back in 2017.

Between ps5's low install base and the higher retail price of the game, I was expecting about a 25% drop in launch sales, so this is actually quite a good result, imo. Of course, there's really no way to know how well the game does until we see its performance over the next few years, since the first had such a long tail.
Pretty much.

We can always refer back to Miles Morales.

The PS5 version constantly stays on the PSN charts. The PS4 version, here n there. Wouldnt logic say the PS4 version should constantly be on there too, since its cross gen?

Ppl want to play cross gen games on PS5, this should no longer be a surprise. And with PS5's being hard to get and having stock issues...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Thought it'd be higher tbh. What was the physical/digital split of the original?

Personally I've effectively embraced the digital future by switching to PC, though if I was still buying games on consoles I'd be sticking to physical for as long as I could.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Thought it'd be higher tbh. What was the physical/digital split of the original?

Personally I've effectively embraced the digital future by switching to PC, though if I was still buying games on consoles I'd be sticking to physical for as long as I could.

78% physical, 22% physical I believe is what the original was. I think singleplayer games tend to go a little more physical than do multiplayer games, for whatever reason

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I buy physical because it's actually cheaper here in Europe.

Digital PS5 games are 80 euro's.
Physical PS5 games are between 70 and 75 euro's.