• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge Ueda/Team ICO/genDESIGN fan, as is probably obvious from my profile pic. While the Last Guardian might be technically the overall weakest of the three games that Ueda and his team have put out in the last 20 years, it's still a one-of-a-kind experience that I recommend enthusiastically to pretty much everyone. Many would rightfully credit the game's animal AI companion, Trico, for much of its unique appeal, and upon revisiting the game on the PS5 (better performance this time around) I'm here to say that I'm still in awe of Trico from a game design standpoint.

E50St6zXMAU-M2D

It's no surprise that The Last Guardian almost ended up as abandonware, with the team failing to realize this vision on the Playstation 3 hardware originally. Trico is pretty much the reason why we went an entire six-year console generation without a single release from Team ICO, and while that wait for their follow-up to Shadow of the Colossus was painful for me as a fan I can totally understand how it happened. Team ICO has always excelled in melding bespoke animation work with physics/simulation-driven elements to give their games this uniquely grounded and physical feel in motion. The Colossi in Shadow of the Colossus were incredibly ambitious from both a modelling and animation standpoint on the PS2, and Trico is every bit as ambitious as they were, if not more so.

E50SttWXIAAQOgs
E50SuHkXsAQW6_2

What these pictures don't convey is the equally stellar sound design that went into Trico. Playing with a set of good headphones is revelatory.

The delicate dance of artificial intelligence and inverse kinematics-driven complex animation that powers Trico is truly something to behold, even almost five years after its release as we begin to grow accustomed to the increased power of next-gen consoles. While not everyone jived with Trico's sometimes inconsistent or unpredictable behavior, I don't see how anyone can walk away from TLG unimpressed with Trico as a work of in-game character design and function. The way Trico intelligently and naturally navigates so many different situations within both the cramped and wide-open areas of TLG's ruined setting is unmatched by any other game to date in my eyes.

E50SzorXEAEDduX
E50SzL3X0AEEoEG

The boy and environmental design are also extremely refined and very distinctively the work of Ueda and Co.

In order for Trico to "work" as an AI companion that the player could bond with and believe in, Team ICO had to pull out all of the stops to realize the character to the level of complexity that we see in the final release. And this thread is just my attempt to bring some attention back to Trico and TLG as a whole for its achievements, regardless of whether or not its technical flaws put some off to the game on original hardware.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I highly highly recommend the art book. It actually walks through the entire game from start to finish and explains the thought process through every sequence.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I highly highly recommend the art book. It actually walks through the entire game from start to finish and explains the thought process through every sequence.
Seconded. I got that Day 1. Great book, and I wish we had gotten something similar for their previous games too.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a big ico and sotc fan I was pretty let down by it.

Trico's behavior was only unpredictable until I figured out how I was "supposed to" interact with it, then the curtain fell away and it was a very obvious game object that obeyed game rules

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I just started playing this game last week and this thread is me describing Trico to my friend every night while I play on mic lol

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pissed they spoiled the theme that played during the climactic moment of the finale in the trailers.

But I agree, GOTY 2016

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018

Trico's behavior was only unpredictable until I figured out how I was "supposed to" interact with it, then the curtain fell away and it was a very obvious game object that obeyed game rules

could not agree more.

Bought it on release day. Played for a few hours and left it unimpressed as i had many more games to play. Went back a couple of years later and found it a very easy and obvious game. Won't replay it.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I think this game was underrated. That being said I really really pray for a re-release that removes the prompts. I think these Ueda games really need minimalistic UI design and those prompts definitely took me out of it a fair bit.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
While I thought the first two were great, I'd been so traumatized by the endings (and how long Trico took) that I ignored it.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
What these pictures don't convey is the equally stellar sound design that went into Trico. Playing with a set of good headphones is revelatory.
Yup. Occasionally will have a couple of beers with one of the sound designers on TLG (also the "voice" of Torico) and the stories I've heard about that aspect are extremely interesting. The team did an excellent job of creating an immersive experience through sound design.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Occasionally will have a couple of beers with one of the sound designers on TLG (also the "voice" of Torico) and the stories I've heard about that aspect are extremely interesting. The team did an excellent job of creating an immersive experience through sound design.
Whoa, that's really cool. I'd kill to be able to discuss game design stuff with anyone who worked on any Ueda game.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I remember correctly, but I think it runs at 60fps on PS5 through BC?
Only if you use the disc version and disable auto-updates. Version 1.0 of the game ran with an unlocked framerate, so it's 60fps on PS5 in that case. But it's not entirely worth it because stuff like HDR and improved camera control options (along with some critical bug fixes) came with post-1.0 patches. An official PS5 patch or re-release would be ideal.

Oct 25, 2017
Trico was the worst part of the game in my opinion. Horrible AI and terrible game design that involved him. Ico is their best game by a long shot for me.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Absolute masterpiece and sadly very underrated and underappreciated. Trico to this day remains the most believable and lovable AI character/creature in any game.

never

Oct 28, 2017
Trico was definitely a game object, but he was most certainly charming and the buggy nature of the game often felt like it gave him this weird unpredictable personality that wasn't really there ha. I loved this game.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's a masterpiece, and one of the greatest games of last gen.

Have they done anything with Trico's finicky prompts and movements since launch?
I never had a problem.

a) It's an animal. Don't expect instant responses every time.
b) Don't spam commands. Give a command, watch the cues given in response.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Trico was both the best and worst thing about the game. Janky af and rarely did what he was supposed to, but still endearing at times. Still felt it was a bit disappointing compared to SotC, but it was decent enough.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Trico wasn't janky or broken, he worked perfectly as intended. He's a beast and especially early on he's gonna ignore your commands and do his own thing. That might not make for 'fun' gameplay but it's what the game needed. The atmosphere and emotional connection formed with Trico would be completely different and far less cathartic if he was boiled down to a "hit button do thing" mechanic.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Best game of the past gen. It's mind boggling that they were able to get such a massive creature with AI like Trico to maneuver around those claustrophobic environments.They made their jobs like 100x harder but it pays off tremendously at the end.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Best game of 2016, best Team ICO game, and a huge contender for best game of the entire generation. A genuine masterpiece and completely unlike anything I'll ever play again.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I could not stand TLG. It was a slog and Trico was super frustrating to deal with. To each their own, I guess.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
When the state machine is made just clever enough that if you give yourself over and role play it will reciprocate in kind.

Oct 14, 2019
Trico wasn't janky or broken, he worked perfectly as intended. He's a beast and especially early on he's gonna ignore your commands and do his own thing. That might not make for 'fun' gameplay but it's what the game needed. The atmosphere and emotional connection formed with Trico would be completely different and far less cathartic if he was boiled down to a "hit button do thing" mechanic.

While I agree with this sentiment, I'm also curious if it's completely accurate? (I haven't played more than a few hours of the game).

Does Trico actually 'learn' and respond more quickly as the game progresses? That's pretty neat, if so! But I haven't ever made it that far as I found it a little too slow-paced, personally. Knowing that Trico picks up later would possibly motivate me to give it another try.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree with this sentiment, I'm also curious if it's completely accurate? (I haven't played more than a few hours of the game).

Does Trico actually 'learn' and respond more quickly as the game progresses? That's pretty neat, if so! But I haven't ever made it that far as I found it a little too slow-paced, personally. Knowing that Trico picks up later would possibly motivate me to give it another try.
In my experience he absolutely did, though there was one particularly "oh my god Trico what are you doing NOOOOOOOOO" bit very close to the end. Otherwise I remember having far less trouble getting him to listen to me in the later stages than at the start, though ymmv

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
One of the best games of last gen and like other games from Ueda, one of the most unique.
Regarding the complaints about Trico's control, never had much of an issue. I dont know whether it was me that got accustomed to the game's mechanic or Trico was programmed to be responsive as the game progresses as if the bond is getting stronger(or its something my mind made up). I used to very regularly pet him, remove spears etc...maybe that helped.

I also really liked TLG VR demo. Alas, it was very short. I so wish to get a 3-4 hrs long version of it.

Edit: Read the above post. So, he does become more responsive. Brilliant!!

Last edited:

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017

To me it absolutely destroys ico in every way. Just absolutely nails the theme of companionship and friendship that is far far superior to anything in ico.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019

while it might feel that way, i'm pretty sure it's actually more of an instance of the person playing becoming more comfortable with controlling him...

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
Many of the responses on this thread are reasons why I haven't tried the game yet. I want it to be good, but I have no patience for animal responses in real life, let alone an AI based on that. I'm not a pet person.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
game is an under appreciated masterpiece
i also cried more during the ending than any game or movie has ever done

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread as always, ScOULaris.

In some ways, I honestly think it's Ueda's greatest work - yes he and the team fumble and they obviously spent the better part of a decade trying to make those fumbles work, but their successes and their ambition outclass essentially anything else that came out last gen.

It used to frustrate me that there were some people who didn't get the game, but gaming is a big tent and I accept what he accomplished isn't for everyone. But I wish there were a way to make it click with those for whom it doesn't, because they're truly missing out on one of the very rare games that elevates the entire medium.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
MĂ©xico
I loved every minute of it, didn't really have any issues giving commands to Trico and navigating the enviroment, amazing game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's a masterpiece, and one of the greatest games of last gen.

I never had a problem.

a) It's an animal. Don't expect instant responses every time.
b) Don't spam commands. Give a command, watch the cues given in response.

This.
I also hardly had the issues controlling Trico that others were reporting.
If you learned the commands properly, if you gave the little big guy a bit time to follow commands (and him sometimes being hesitant was a deliberate design choice) then controlling him worked mostly fine.
I watched some streams of people playing the game and there was honestly no wonder they had issues, I was constantly face palming, because they didn't think or didn't give the AI and huge creature the time and space to do their work.

It's very likely not the AI actually learning by itself but the AI being programmed to act smarter and more responsive with growing story progression in the game. ;)

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
There were 4 years between Ico and Shadow.
In the 16 years since all there is is Guardian.

Regardless of how good it is I'll always remain a little cold on it (bitter?) due to whatever work we potentially lost out on during its development.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It really is incredible. TLG is such a triumph because the game starts out frustrating as Trico and the boy fail to connect and understand one another; ut over the course of the game they begin to learn about one another and become a communicative machine as they bond builds and the player with Trico as well.

I felt an attachment to Trico I never feel for video games characters.

Absolutely a masterpiece and Team Ico/Ueda's opus.

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017
I'd really like the bare minimum PS5 upgrade (60 FPS) to incentivize me to go back and actually play this. I only got a few hours in and moved on because the lack of polish was so damn annoying.