Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
need-for-speed-porsche-unleashed-01.JPG

It was so clean.
It was so simple.
It was classy.
It had varied and great locations.
It celebrated the brand without ridiculous tuning. In a way it felt a bit like Gran Turismo.

Not to mention perfect driving music.

Why did we have to move to annoying 2kool4skool underground street racing, fast driving can be an art and presented as such.
Why was this one time thing?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's up there, but it's no NFS III: Hot Pursuit PC

Also I see this as an excuse to post this track from High Stakes, which was also later used in Mass Effect 2

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
if we are talking strictly about the PC version, im inclined to agree. The PS1 version was totally different (like most other NFS games, but in other cases the different versions were equally good) and imo much worse.

The PC version though.... some of the best tracks ever put in a racing game, amazing scenery, fantastic blend of sim and arcade, 2 amazing career modes, the music, dashboard view, great damage model.... just all around a fantastic game.

Racing on the alps map is particularly fond memory of mine, the first time I drove on it - the way the track goes from dry & sunny to snowy & dark with everything covered in thick snow and ice really blew my mind at the time. And yeah, in 2000 it was one of the best looking games available.

The only downside of the game is that its limited to Porsches only. That being said, the game pays such a fantastic homage to them through the 2 career modes that I ended up really appreciating it.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I was always fond of Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (the late 90s game) but I was never really a big Need for Speed guy.

Give me San Francisco Rush over Need for Speed any day.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Underground 2 is. Or Carbon.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
NFS: Porsche had a great foundation. If it had included more manufacturers it would be the best, no doubt.

I still have a soft spot for NFS II: SE, because that was my first experience with the franchise, concept cars galore. Another one I have fond memories of is Hot Pursuit II.

Kounce

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Yeah I loved the PC version as a kid, put so many hours into that game. Not sure if it's the best of the bunch but it was unique, and enjoyable.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Fact is, the most memorable NFS games were from over a decade ago. Furthermore, the last gen's NFS weren't too shabby either.

It's up there, but it's no NFS III: Hot Pursuit PC

Also I see this as an excuse to post this track from High Stakes, which was also later used in Mass Effect 2

Yoooooooooo00, that is from Mass Effect 2's Omega! (or so I thought and then I looked up that it was independently produced in 1998).

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Fact is, the most memorable NFS games were from over a decade ago. Furthermore, the last gen's NFS weren't too shabby either.

Yoooooooooo00, that is from Mass Effect 2's Omega! (or so I thought and then I looked up that it was independently produced in 1998).
Romi di Prosco and Saki Kaskas where awesome composers. RIP Saki :(

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I played it on PC back in the day. It looked way better than any console racers at the time and was alot of fun.

Streets of Rage

Alt account
Banned
Jun 26, 2019
I loved NFS Porsche (on PC). Maybe not THE best, but certainly one of the best.
The tracks were fantastic, the evolution mode was great. Also nice music and tuning options. But a little bit difficult, at least the last third of the evolution mode.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I enjoyed this game so damn much back in the days. It was GOOD & FUN indeed.
Gave me the means to drive a Porsche virtually cause that'll never happen IRL sobs.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Man, I hated this game as a youngin' and would always go back to the original Hot Pursuit. Guess what, a game filled with nothing but Porsches isn't exactly exciting.

Feb 8, 2018
Focusing on one car brand wasn't the best idea

There were other ones focusing on one brand. Viper racing I believe and Porsche Challenge are the ones I remember. No bad memories of those although I don't remember much.

Best NFS is hard to say. I've played less than 50% of that series. The older ones that stood out are II: SE, III:HP, High stakes, HP 2, Underground 1+2, Most Wanted (05)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
Underground 1 and 2 are the best. Most wanted is a distant third

I have fond memories though of NFS: Porsche Unleashed, a demo disc they'd give out at Shell gas stations lol

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
There were other ones focusing on one brand. Viper racing I believe and Porsche Challenge are the ones I remember. No bad memories of those although I don't remember much.

Best NFS is hard to say. I've played less than 50% of that series. The older ones that stood out are II: SE, III:HP, High stakes, HP 2, Underground 1+2, Most Wanted (05)
Viper racing had a fun cheat called 'horn ball' that shot a big heavy ball out the front of your car that would wreck other cars. The destruction physics in that game were pretty damn advanced for the time too.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
I liked the original as it felt more "photo realistic" to me and I also liked the FMV of the police if they caught you.

I was pumped for NFS 2.............. until I actually played it and was disappointed as it looked a lot more "cartoony" compared to the original.

NFS III would be my favourite of the series, best music, tracks, cars and loved the Hot Pursuit mode. Also was one of my first "full priced" games that I got as a new release but almost $30 off the RRP.

High Stakes was also pretty good

And Underground 2 was cool as well.

They haven't really hit a high note since then.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I'm with you OP, to a point. I do have a lot of strong nostalgia for Porsghe Unleashed on the PC. The PS1 port wasn't bad either, to be honest. But for me, it definitely is in running with NFS4: High Stakes as some of the best of the series (that I have played). Though to be honest, I did love the original on the 3DO, as well as the Saturn port.

Polaris

Oct 29, 2017
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Kind of a bummer lots of the old NFS aren't available for download. I really want to play Underground and Underground 2 on PC, but outside of acquiring a physical copy, there really is not legal way to play it.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
NFS Hot Pursuit is still the best arcade racer imo. Its a shame EA doesnt do remasters. But i feel like we need a poll to settle this.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Nah man that is either Underground 2 or the original Most Wanted. Although I wouldn't mind a new Shift either.

The Criterion Hot Pursuit was also pretty good too.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Most Wanted is my favorite, but Porsche Unleashed is a closed second. I still play that game from time to time. Last year I managed to replay it in 21:9, as you can see below:

32208406718_257ab14135_o.png

46029776162_8c48bcba54_o.png

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Need for Speed Most Wanted 2005 was the best one. I loved the cop system and the unique chatter while running away was really fun. The open world structure was good too. The variety of races and having my favorite car in it as well the Lamborghini Gallardo It felt very very fast and just running away from cops was super satisfying.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
Porsche 2000 (PC) is my favorite NFS no doubt, playing Evolution just feels so right, the whole presentation was just great for the time, graphics, UI, sound...
I like most of the tracks a lot, the handling is nice once you get used to (911s at first are tricky),

I was actually playing the game a few days ago with super sampling and AF it looks so clean
(but it's a bit tricky to get it working right on current PC/OS)

the only thing is that I don't really feel like it's a "proper" NFS, but it's the best NFS for me,
in terms of "proper" NFS HP2 (PS2) is probably the best.

but I prefer Porsche.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yeah it is also my best NFS experience. Love cruising along in the Boxter and then switching up to the 911 to tear up tracks moments later. None of that drama, neon and announcer voices.

Dec 15, 2017
The perfect complementary game to GT2 on the PS1. Killer OST by the way. But I hated how expensive was to repair the 959!

Nov 2, 2017

Viper Racing! Takes me back, great fun.

Most Wanted is my favorite, but Porsche Unleashed is a closed second. I still play that game from time to time. Last year I managed to replay it in 21:9, as you can see below:

32208406718_257ab14135_o.png

46029776162_8c48bcba54_o.png
Porsche 2000 (PC) is my favorite NFS no doubt, playing Evolution just feels so right, the whole presentation was just great for the time, graphics, UI, sound...
I like most of the tracks a lot, the handling is nice once you get used to (911s at first are tricky),

I was actually playing the game a few days ago with super sampling and AF it looks so clean
(but it's a bit tricky to get it working right on current PC/OS)

the only thing is that I don't really feel like it's a "proper" NFS, but it's the best NFS for me,
in terms of "proper" NFS HP2 (PS2) is probably the best.

but I prefer Porsche.
I may still have the PC discs for Viper Racing and Porsche Unleashed. Porsche work okay on modern PC Windows OS? How about Viper?

Edit: Sorry, just saw "tricky to run" comment. That probably means I should not try haha.