• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
Picked this up on sale and I'm enjoying it more than I have any other racing game in at least a decade, but lordy lou it can be rough in places. Maybe it will get easier once I have some more upgrades but at the end of the first week I still feel utterly outclassed to the point that a single mistake means you have no chance of winning.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
On week 4. Will I have a chance to do the races with car rewards after I beat the game? There were some that I skipped because I had too much cash on me and didn't want to risk it (I haven't been caught once though, knock on wood).

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Week 1 done.
I currently have 4 (maybe 5?) cars and right around 90,000.
I did set it to Easy though, so that is for sure helping although I have never even come close to using all of my Restarts. In fact only one day I used over 3, so I am wondering do I give Normal mode a whirl.
I do feel like this NFS requires a but more strategy than the previous ones as to how far you push things. At first I was pretty conservative but now taking more risks.
The whole Heat thing is a bit of a chore at night as really it just basically means driving around the block most of the time.
I actually dig it very much so far, but will see if that indeed changes the more I play.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
I feel so dumb. The game became a lot easier once I realised there are two burst systems. I thought it was just the three bar gauge.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I get a kick out of using boost and having every single car around me speed up in sync with me. Also, I liked the one car approach in the beginning like John from DF said because you get to familiarize yourself with that one car and you're not going from car to car for every race. However, as I get closer to finishing week 4 I'm kind of sad that cars are so expensive, they model all of these cool cars and at most I will have driven maybe ~6 outside of the cars that you pick up for Rydell and Tess. These days we're jumping from one game to another, I would imagine that most people will not get to experience most of the cars in the game. I would love to use the LaF or P1(or a bunch of other cars in the lower tiers tbh) before I finish the game and I won't have that chance. I'm a Porsche guy so my progression was the Nissan Silvia -> 718 Spyder - > 991.2 GT3RS -> 918 Spyder and I'm one day and a half from finishing the game and likely shelving it shortly after.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Finally finished tonight. Overall I really enjoyed it. The biggest enemy in the final week for me was fucking traffic. Goddamn it got hard not to smack cars and medians/trees/etc when you were racing at like 220mph. And if you got passed as soon as you wrecked, see ya.

I finished with 13 cars in the garage and 1.4 mil. I'll probably jump back in at some point to work on some more speed traps/jumps/speed runs, but I'll definitely take a little break for now. Even though it was fun it started to drag towards the end there.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Good to know

Wouldn't mind some DLC for a new area or new event types
Find it hard to believe EA would fund DLC for this game. They couldn't be bothered spending more than bare minimum on the marketing and they didn't bother to sell a Season Pass or Deluxe edition…so I have doubts this game is getting any major updates or expansions based on that. Would gladly pay for an expansion though. I could see them maybe doing something with the existing map if the game is successful enough - a Winter Update with ice and snow maybe 😅

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I really like this game, but I want someone to take a in-depth look at the absurd politics of what is on the radio. I guess I'm curious how it plays out, I'm just at the end of week 2, but it's crazy to hear your character endorsing the conservative big-oil challenger to the mayor because he's "pro-car". And the DJ says stuff like 'are these racers really a danger to society? They're just marginalized groups that are trying to express themselves" as I mow down pedestrians at 160mph.

The game has to be anti-cop and pro-car for any of the gameplay to be justified, but it adopts a socially progressive dressing and then endorses the conservative blowhard because he also likes cars, which means he also supports street racing I guess? It doesn't make any sense, and it doesn't really work as satire either. They should have just not bothered.

Yeah, the politics are definitely some artificial "let's try to please all sides" obsequious bullshit. Like you say, they should have not bothered and just based the story on a murder mystery or something. The "safe" approach takes away from all the edge the rest of the game works hard to establish.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The cops can be frustrating. I've been trying not to go nuts with them and often times banking earlier because I just don't want to deal with high heat. I enjoy the racing a lot though. Does anyone know if at the end of the game, it's a bit different format so I can collect new cars?

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
The cops can be frustrating. I've been trying not to go nuts with them and often times banking earlier because I just don't want to deal with high heat. I enjoy the racing a lot though. Does anyone know if at the end of the game, it's a bit different format so I can collect new cars?
at the end is just a repeated week, unsure if you can collect the cars in the end game of week 4.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Find it hard to believe EA would fund DLC for this game. They couldn't be bothered spending more than bare minimum on the marketing and they didn't bother to sell a Season Pass or Deluxe edition…so I have doubts this game is getting any major updates or expansions based on that. Would gladly pay for an expansion though. I could see them maybe doing something with the existing map if the game is successful enough - a Winter Update with ice and snow maybe 😅
Apparently being the UK charts, NPD signs show it's a sleeper hit and promises of updates and future content, we will see.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I'm really not sure I understand this game.

I'm really struggling. The handling feels like absolute fucking shit, and I don't mean that lightly as I have never had an issue with handling in a racing game to this level before. I feel like I am randomly drifting to the degree I'm spinning out suddenly when I don't want to and it fucks the entire race. It's like there are two physics modes - grip and drift - with nothing in between, and it will just flick the switch between them with no warning and it just feels awful all of the time as you will either be understeering like crazy and hitting the barriers or going literally sideways while everybody passes you. I saw there were options for how to break traction, but they seem to do nothing no matter what you pick. I can't name a single other arcade racer that controls as badly as this.

Also the rubber banding feels so strong, but it only goes one way. You can get so utterly fucked by a cop, another racer, or traffic just once in a race, but it be nearly impossible to pull back even a single place. Yet you can dominate a race making no mistakes and never be able to pull away from the pack.

On top of the limited restarts and the buy-in charges for a lot of the races and the whole thing just feels so unnecessarily brutal.

I should mention what got me to this point, and why I'm so salty. I got to the final day of week 1 and got fucked by a single cop car on the last race which meant that the best I could manage was second. Which was apparently not good enough to progress and dumped me back a whole day and now I have to repeat that day PLUS the event that I have to pump another $20,000 into, and WITHOUT the restarts I used up in the final event dealing with the random bullshit that was impossible to recover from.

I don't understand why you'd design a game this way. I was feeling pretty chill with the issues with the game before this, but this tipped me over a line to where I kind of want to give up on the game.

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really struggling. The handling feels like absolute fucking shit, and I don't mean that lightly as I have never had an issue with handling in a racing game to this level before. I feel like I am randomly drifting to the degree I'm spinning out suddenly when I don't want to and it fucks the entire race. It's like there are two physics modes - grip and drift - with nothing in between, and it will just flick the switch between them with no warning and it just feels awful all of the time as you will either be understeering like crazy and hitting the barriers or going literally sideways while everybody passes you. I saw there were options for how to break traction, but they seem to do nothing no matter what you pick. I can't name a single other arcade racer that controls as badly as this.

I had the exact same problem in Heat. (In hindsight, maybe I needed this approach in Heat too...)

I use a drift build (BRZ, Cuda). So I can't really speak to grip handling in this game, but if you want to drift you really need to ease into the throttle again until right before the point the car goes way sideways and you lose speed. If you get back on it too hard the car goes sideways and you scrub off way too much speed. If you manage it well, you can drift quite shallow which works for the majority of turns, especially in the city, while still filling the burst nitrous meter with drift. It's different per car so you need to find the right amount of throttle per turn for each (i.e. between the BRZ and Cuda, the Cuda is way more forgiving), though you eventually get a feel of what works for certain situations.

In the early game it's been said grip cars don't have enough power to have enough speed through turns to get the Grip Turn burst nitrous bonus. It's doable but honestly I'm tuned to the max of A on the BRZ at this point and winning races on Wednesday/Thursday. Hope this helps!

Phionoxx

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I haven't played a NFS game since Most Wanted but wanted to try this one out based on the positive impressions. I gave the 10 hour trial a shot on PC and quickly got hooked.

It's really fun and engaging, only thing I would change is maybe giving out more money in the story mode so it would be a bit easier to experiment with more cars. The car roster is huge but at my current pace I'll finish the story with owning less than a dozen cars, of the 140+ in the game which seems silly.

Ended up subscribing for a month of EA Play Pro to try and get through both this game and the Dead Space remake over the course of the 30 days. Even if I stay subbed for two months, still not a terrible deal to play both games.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I had the exact same problem in Heat. (In hindsight, maybe I needed this approach in Heat too...)

I use a drift build (BRZ, Cuda). So I can't really speak to grip handling in this game, but if you want to drift you really need to ease into the throttle again until right before the point the car goes way sideways and you lose speed. If you get back on it too hard the car goes sideways and you scrub off way too much speed. If you manage it well, you can drift quite shallow which works for the majority of turns, especially in the city, while still filling the burst nitrous meter with drift. It's different per car so you need to find the right amount of throttle per turn for each (i.e. between the BRZ and Cuda, the Cuda is way more forgiving), though you eventually get a feel of what works for certain situations.

In the early game it's been said grip cars don't have enough power to have enough speed through turns to get the Grip Turn burst nitrous bonus. It's doable but honestly I'm tuned to the max of A on the BRZ at this point and winning races on Wednesday/Thursday. Hope this helps!

The BRZ is what I have been using which I tried with the drift tuning, but I just don't like the way drifting feels in this game so have been trying to shift towards more of a grip build.

I want to keep going until I can afford a pure grip-focused car to see how I get on before I give up entirely, but it's a struggle.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The BRZ is what I have been using which I tried with the drift tuning, but I just don't like the way drifting feels in this game so have been trying to shift towards more of a grip build.

I want to keep going until I can afford a pure grip-focused car to see how I get on before I give up entirely, but it's a struggle.

Personally I still recommend accentuating the car's natural tendency to drift, if you can even max out the slider to like 30% drift that was enough for me to see the effects. Part of the problem with making a drift-tendency car grip is when the grip goes you get snap oversteer. I had the exact same issues with the handling in Heat (plenty of posts by me in that OT making the same point about the switch like nature of the handling) and effectively the game makes you go way sideways when you add too much throttle instead of spinning out. Try giving something in the range of 25-50% throttle after initiating the drift until the car is in the direction you want to go in, countersteering to get there. Burst nitrous also forces the car to move in the direction it's pointing in when activated if you need to correct quickly. I find the BRZ doesn't have the power to correct for too much angle, so I used less throttle after the gas/brake tap to initiate the drift to manage initial turn in, and then add more through the turn. The driving effects help in this way to judge as well what is too much throttle.

This video helped me out a lot on the general, and you can see you shallow they drift a lot with the Cuda by managing the throttle (though they don't specifically make that point):

View: https://youtu.be/3BSN0FR_-4s

The game really does not explain this well and the throttle force feedback sucks as the breakpoint in the tires is communicated way better in games like Forza Horizon. But the game's handling went from OK to sublime for me as a drift-style driver once it clicked. If you have takeovers you can practice in it might help to get used to it.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Personally I still recommend accentuating the car's natural tendency to drift, if you can even max out the slider to like 30% drift that was enough for me to see the effects. Part of the problem with making a drift-tendency car grip is when the grip goes you get snap oversteer. I had the exact same issues with the handling in Heat (plenty of posts by me in that OT making the same point about the switch like nature of the handling) and effectively the game makes you go way sideways when you add too much throttle instead of spinning out. Try giving something in the range of 25-50% throttle after initiating the drift until the car is in the direction you want to go in, countersteering to get there. Burst nitrous also forces the car to move in the direction it's pointing in when activated if you need to correct quickly. I find the BRZ doesn't have the power to correct for too much angle, so I used less throttle after the gas/brake tap to initiate the drift to manage initial turn in, and then add more through the turn. The driving effects help in this way to judge as well what is too much throttle.

This video helped me out a lot on the general, and you can see you shallow they drift a lot with the Cuda by managing the throttle (though they don't specifically make that point):

View: https://youtu.be/3BSN0FR_-4s

The game really does not explain this well and the throttle force feedback sucks as the breakpoint in the tires is communicated way better in games like Forza Horizon. But the game's handling went from OK to sublime for me as a drift-style driver once it clicked. If you have takeovers you can practice in it might help to get used to it.

Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it. But unfortunately I think the drift playstyle just isn't for me and I likely won't gel with it either way, and isn't really anything I've ever enjoyed in a racing game outside of Ridge Racer.

I'm going to try and get a car that specializes grip out of he box and see how how get on.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it. But unfortunately I think the drift playstyle just isn't for me and I likely won't gel with it either way, and isn't really anything I've ever enjoyed in a racing game outside of Ridge Racer.

I'm going to try and get a car that specializes grip out of he box and see how how get on.

Not a problem, I hope it eventually works out for you! I think it's a lovely game if a bit grindy.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Not a problem, I hope it eventually works out for you! I think it's a lovely game if a bit grindy.

I do like a lot about the game.

The police annoy me, but I think the core idea of accumulating rewards and risking more or banking it to be safe is a really interesting structure and is what drew to me to the game. I think it's too brutal in some respects, but if I wasn't enjoying it I would have had no issue shelving it already so the fact I'm still playing it means something I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
the game's handling went from OK to sublime for me as a drift-style driver once it clicked
Yeah, once you understand what the yellow burst nos allows you to do, it's a lot of fun. The burst nos pushes you forward like a rocket would, it doesn't just make your engine go faster which would make you spin out. It allows you to make turns that would be completely impossible but it feels great.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I do like a lot about the game.

The police annoy me, but I think the core idea of accumulating rewards and risking more or banking it to be safe is a really interesting structure and is what drew to me to the game. I think it's too brutal in some respects, but if I wasn't enjoying it I would have had no issue shelving it already so the fact I'm still playing it means something I guess.

Ditto, I mean I can't stand the police and wish/hope you can turn them off in the end game so I can collect cars for the garage.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I've been doing much better since I started to lean hard into Grip handling for the BRZ, but I really just want a better car but it's beginning to hit just how hard it is getting one due to the insane grind and the repetition is already setting in.

I got to week two expecting a big jump up in cash rewards because the 2-4,000 (after buy-in costs) was just pathetically low. Nope lol. And then you have to factor in the huge buy-in cost for the end of week event that you may even fail and have to repeat including paying the buy-in, on top of the ever-present risk of losing a whole day or nights income due to how over-tuned the police are, and it can be a real exercise in frustration when trying to gather up funds to progress the game.

I think there is a really special game here with some great ideas, but the balancing is way off base.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, this franchise will never stop referencing Most Wanted. As soon as Yaz said she got call from The Blacklist I started cackling.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I really want to pick this up.

Is there any way to turn off the story elements or character VO? I just want to drive around and do fun car stuff while listening to my own music/podcasts.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Yo! Let's go! Hopefully the content drip is good! How are you guys obtaining new cars? Are you playing directly online or offline? Kind of bummed the garages aren't commingled.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Update's out.

What's in the update?

Need for Speed Unbound Update 1.1.4 (aka the January Update) delivers stability improvements, some balancing changes for a couple of cars, and more.

BALANCING

Golf GTI 1976

• Rebalanced the Volkswagen Golf GTI (1976) to reduce its acceleration in high gears
  • Fixed an issue with the Volkswagen Golf GTI (1976) that caused its gearbox options to not affect its top speed, as expected
Koenigsegg Regera

• Reduced the top-end acceleration of the Koenigsegg Regera and adjusted its cornering ability
VOIP

• Improved the quality of VOIP for our PS5 players
SAVE GAME ERROR/PROGRESS RESET

• Added a warning message when the game fails to autosave correctly to reduce potential of lost progress
PC MIN SPECS WARNING

• Added a warning message when the game detects a below min spec configuration
STABILITY IMPROVEMENTS

• Multiple stability improvements to reduce the potential for game crashes

The Road Ahead

As mentioned in December 2022, we will be delivering a series of free content updates that will include new features, experiences, content drops and more. We are currently working hard on delivering our first content update to Lakeshore and are looking forward to sharing more details with you in March!

The feedback, suggestions, bugs & issues you report - and your participation in the global Need for Speed community - continue to drive our ongoing work and we're excited y'all are along for the ride with us. So, buckle up and hit the gas - the road ahead is wide open.

See you in Lakeshore!

Nothing til March then

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
So I am like half way through Week 3, I really am digging the game overall, but straight up had zero clue about the yellow burst nos until watching that video and seeing the comments above. The game for sure does an awful job of making the distinction.
I obviously have noticed the yellow nos was accumulating, but had zero idea it did what it did. I just thought it was like extra nos.

So my only question is with the yellow burst nos, is that the one you are supposed to just quickly tap the nos button to use it (I do recall the game saying tap for nos)? Or will it just automatically use it first if you have some accumulated.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
So my only question is with the yellow burst nos, is that the one you are supposed to just quickly tap the nos button to use it (I do recall the game saying tap for nos)? Or will it just automatically use it first if you have some accumulated.
Yes, you tap the nos button to use the burst nos (yellow one) and hold it if you want the actual nos.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, you tap the nos button to use the burst nos (yellow one) and hold it if you want the actual nos.
Thanks for confirming. I have to imagine I have used it mistakenly here and there not realizing it was indeed like a "rocket" boost wherever the nose of the car was pointed. Now that I know exactly how it is supposed to be used I wish I could go back to this one head to head I recently lost.
Appreciate the confirmation.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for confirming. I have to imagine I have used it mistakenly here and there not realizing it was indeed like a "rocket" boost wherever the nose of the car was pointed. Now that I know exactly how it is supposed to be used I wish I could go back to this one head to head I recently lost.
Appreciate the confirmation.
it's also best used during a corner too because you'll get some big extra grip while cornering. (Learned this from ISAD)

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
First off, thanks again for the tips all. Knowing how to use the yellow burst properly has helped a ton. I say properly as basically I was using it wrong and not tapping so using up blue nos for no reason. Now that I know to tap, it is damn near like unlimited nos.

With that said, looking for some advice here on how to possibly proceed. Feel like I am getting to the point the game may get grindy, and really trying to avoid that as I do not have a ton of time to dedicate to gaming these days.

So far, I have just upgraded all of the cars you win throughout playing. As a result, my S car is currently a Ford Crown Vic and it is only about halfway through S at 293.
I am on Week 3 Thursday, so I have 2 days left.
If I do any of the S Events that are on city streets or have turns, etc., I can still usually take 1st even though the AI's car are at the high end of S around 315. Especially with the yellow burst trick. I just took 1st place in an S event that was a 40k prize and it was a lot of drifting, which I have down pretty damn good (usually set my drift to around 25-30% and traction to neutral.

However if it is an Endurance event or more of a straight away event, they are now beating me. I am still hanging around anywhere from 4th to 2nd, but I am no longer hanging if there are a lot of straight aways they just have more speed.

I have basically already upgraded the crown vic as high as it can go UNLESS I unlock the last Elite tier of the Garage. Still even though, it does not look like the Elite parts are going to make a massive difference. A few extra mph. Like literally 1mph if I upgrade my ECU as an example.

Maybe if I get all Elite parts it will matter, but that will also be expensive considering the garage upgrade alone is 100k.
Oh, I should add I currently have $340,534 in the bank.

Option 01

Do I just ride it out with my halfway through S car?? Is it going to be a detriment in the Week 3 qualifier and basically mean I will not take first?
What happens exactly if I do not take first? The week starts over I think?
So maybe I should just give it a go and if the Week starts over, bank some more money and purchase a new S car to then upgrade.
Option 02
I purchase a new S car now and upgrade some parts? If so, any suggestions on which car I should get?
Option 03
Something I am not thinking of and you have a better idea?

Truly TIA to anyone that offers any advice / suggestions. I just do not have a whole lot of time to dedicate to gaming these days, and would like to avoid redoing the week if possible as I would actually like to maybe beat the game.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
at week 3/4. I suggest getting an super car and upgrade parts for it. I say this because Lyric AI will basically be rubberbanding like hell.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
at week 3/4. I suggest getting an super car and upgrade parts for it. I say this because Lyric AI will basically be rubberbanding like hell.

Yeah super rubber bandy.

I've been thinking about setting a goal for myself in this game by buying upgrades for each car in the game and getting each car to S+. Wonder how each will perform haha

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Porsche 911 thinking that was gonna be the car to compete with other S/S+ class super cars, but I ended up using the Mitsubishi Evo cuz I loved drifting in it. It worked out cuz the AI slows down to a crawl when turning. It feels good to maintain high speed and drift past them. You don't really need a super car to compete. I also had a 2000 Type R in S class and did just fine.

Last edited:

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I'm really impressed with DLSS frame generation - I thought if latency issues were going to be an issue, it would be in a racing game. But they just aren't. There is no obvious impact to latency whatsoever, and it makes 4k144 quite easily achievable.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
First NFS game I have seen the credits since 2015 and I have literally played them all. I just usually hit a point where I decide I don't really need to or care enough to keep on playing. Hell I may even start a new session since I have 1.5 million in the bank and definitely hardly ever do that with any game once I see the credits. Just have so many other choices.

I just really enjoyed it overall. It is just a super solid arcade racer.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I really feel like EA sent the game to die harder than Heat, I mean waiting until January for the first meaningful update when Heat had 3 updates in the same time period. Also, while I'm looking forward to the March update, the one in Heat introduced the Black Market DLC cars; I just feel like EA had zero confidence in the game and is now playing catchup to the positive word of mouth the game had, which sucks as the first new NFS in a long while. I don't know, I'm just rambling at this point.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest disappointment was separating the garages. I don't want to grind anything online again.