• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
My nephew just turned 16, and he's cashing in his birthday, Xmas, and savings so he can build a Zen3/Radeon 6800 XT (maybe a 3080 instead) rig, all so that he can play Fortnite at 120 FPS.

This sounds absolutely ludicrous to me.

He could get a PS5, and a Mac and have a bunch of money left over. So many better ways to spend this money.

Dudes, what's the least amount of money he can spend on a gaming rig that'll still be capable of playing Fortnite at 120 FPS for the foreseeable future? What kind of GPU/CPU combo would it take?

It kills me to think he's gonna spend up to $2500 for fuckin Fortnite.

EDIT: I should clarify, he hasn't saved up shit. His mom is giving him $1500, I'm chipping in the rest. I figure if he's gonna spend that much on a gaming rig, he may as well spend the extra money and future proof it.

EDIT #2: A lot of post in this thread have made me see the error in my ways. Would love to see what you guys can build for $2300 including tax. This includes monitor and peripherals.

Last edited:

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite AND potentially any other game they want to play stress free in the future.

get out their pockets.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Fortnite isn't really that demanding as far as I know.
Does he already have a monitor or is he planning on buying one?
Also is he getting a prebuilt or building it himself?

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
He only plays Fortnite? He's not going to use that rig to play anything more demanding?

Seems absurd.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Help him save some money by giving him tips instead of saying no. A machine with a Ryzen 5600x and something like an RTX 3070 would give him those 120 FPS without breaking the bank.

EscapingJail

Oct 26, 2017
That pc will last him for a very very long time. Assuming he is buying the monitor and peripherals with it at that $2500 price then let him do what he wants. It's his money right? If it actually turns out to be a bad investment he will learn from that too.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Not really your business to be dictating that. It's his money to spend how he pleases. A gaming PC is good for more than just gaming too. If he wanted to play games other than Fortnite, he could. If he wanted to learn 3D modeling or video editing or game design, he could. A computer can do so much more than just a PS5, and he'd spend way more to get worse specs on a Mac (and I say this as someone who loves macOS). Let him have fun with his money. In the future he won't be able to spend money so friviously anymore.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"He could get a Mac" is a weird suggestion when he seems to want to build a PC in the first place.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Help him build a great PC Gaming Rig instead of shitting on his idea to build one because he told you one of the games he wants to play on it is Fortnite at 120 FPS.

The fuck would he need a Mac for if he's buying a PC for gaming?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Tell him to go for it .

Even if it turns out to be a dumb idea at least he's the one that decided to go for it.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Jesus Christ the disdain that "gamers" have for "fucking fortnite" is ridiculous.

All the shit people talk about gaming being looked down on as a hobby and people do this.

Let the kid enjoy himself.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Fortnite AND potentially any other game they want to play stress free in the future.

get out their pockets.

Haha kids play fortnite and maybe Minecraft. That's about it

Actually the only game that has drawn my nephew away from those two has been Marvel's Spider-Man. He LOVES that game and that's all he plays when he comes over.

Jesus Christ the disdain that "gamers" have for "fucking fortnite" is ridiculous.

All the shit people talk about gaming being looked down on as a hobby and people do this.

Not disdain. OP has a point. If all they're going to play is Fortnite, then it's not worth spending that much on a computer. It's not a very demanding game

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sneak onto his current setup, install a bunch of cheats, play Fortnite on his account, and get him perma'd

Edit: Oh it's just to build a rig and not physically spending $2500 on Fortnite microtransactions? Eh, let him. That PC will hold him for a good half decade or more.

Actually help him find the best deal on those parts so he doesn't spend all of his money on that setup or go for a lower priced build that will fulfill his needs. It sounds like he isn't thinking this through

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
At 16 I was playing Socom Confrontation on PS3 or something. I was amazed with just that. I think folks should wait on the huge stuff till after high school. But that is just me.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Wise beyond his years, your Nephew. Discovering the importance of framerate at such a young age.

Today it's Fortnite, but the fundamental knowledge he has acquired shall last a lifetime.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
help him build it so he can save money and spend the rest on other things. he could build a perfectly good system for 1200-1500 dollars if he already has a monitor and keyboard + mouse

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

He's spending $2500 to play a single game.

Even if Fortnite is your favorite game of all time, kinda overkill, maybe?

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
You'd be surprised how common this is. I have friends that have kids who want entire PC setups built just to play Fortnite like their favorite streamers/youtubers do.

My nephew did as well and when I visit all he's playing is Fortnite, Overwatch, amd Rocket League.

I don't see the big deal though, let em have fun.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Make sure he gets himself a 240hz monitor if he wants to play Fortnite. No reason to constrain yourself if you're buying a 3080.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
My nephew just turned 16, and he's cashing in his birthday, Xmas, and savings so he can build a Zen3/Radeon 6800 XT (maybe a 3080 instead) rig, all so that he can play Fortnite at 120 FPS.

This sounds absolutely ludicrous to me.

He could get a PS5, and a Mac and have a bunch of money left over. So many better ways to spend this money.

Dudes, what's the least amount of money he can spend on a gaming rig that'll still be capable of playing Fortnite at 120 FPS for the foreseeable future? What kind of GPU/CPU combo would it take?

It kills me to think he's gonna spend up to $2500 for fuckin Fortnite.
Did you talk to his parents about that he is over spending 1000 dollars? Do you know he is only going to play fortnite?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Is he literally just going to play Fortnite and nothing else? I mean, if so, yeah, I see what you mean. That's pretty stupid lol, but if he's going to use it for other games, that's pretty futureproof.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/ has some basic build guides, and you can fiddle with the specs from there. $2500 does sound high just to hit 120 in Fortnite. (Also why stick with 120? Is that the game's tickrate? Why not go 144 or higher with that kind of money?)

Let him get the PC, just help him shop for parts and make sure he does the rebates, as those are easy to forget.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
68772294942378387aa74d4aa3112041.gif

OPs nephew when his uncle trying to talk him into buying a console instead of building a monster PC

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
He's 16 dude, I assume he's firing off enough neurons to know a high end PC can play other sorts of games.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why stop at 240hz, doesnt Alienware have a 360hz monitor?!
I'm obviously joking, but let the kids YOLO

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If this thread were about the kid wanting to play Dark Souls at 120 FPS Era would be praising the cultivated taste

Let kids be kids, as long as the family has the money for such a large purchase

I could never imagine spending more than $1000 on any gaming hardware though, that's a shit ton of money I've never had to spare. I'm already balking at the price of $500 next-gen consoles

Last edited: