Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
So my two year old, who is named after Jade from Beyond Good and Evil btw, absolutely loves Ponyo and My Neighbor Totoro. So I want to introduce her to some more anime. Anyone got any suggestions?

I tried Howl's Moving Castle but I think it was a little too slow and abstract for her.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Poor kid never had a chance

(Spirited Away)

I actually think Spirited away would traumatise a two year old!

The precursor to Totoro, maybe?
SWcUs.JPG

Oct 25, 2017
Doraemon is a great one. Disney had a dub recently but it messed with the soundtrack and made 4kids style American-edits so ymmv.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My kid loved Inuyasha though that might be a bit too violent...

"Sit boy!" had him in stitches every time though.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
My daughter liked Chi's Sweet Home. It's a short 3 minute an episode anime about a little cat. It's a cute show with over 100 episodes.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Yotsuba have an anime adaptation? That's a good manga for kids.

Maybe Bananyan? It's about cats that live in banana peels or something, idk but it's cute as hell.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Urotsukidōji

My two year old son has been watching Dragonball Z with me off and on. Well, mainly the intro, then he goes and plays with his toys.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
So my two year old, who is named after Jade from Beyond Good and Evil btw, absolutely loves Ponyo and My Neighbor Totoro. So I want to introduce her to some more anime. Anyone got any suggestions?

I tried Howl's Moving Castle but I think it was a little too slow and abstract for her.

Sgt Frog is pretty awesome for both kids and adults to watch together.

Maybe for when she gets older, but I really enjoy the 3 translated seasons. The VA is actually really good and I prefer it to the original.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ignore the Spirited Away suggestion. Go with Kiki's Delivery Service, which has a similar level of innocence to Totoro.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sgt Frog is pretty awesome for both kids and adults to watch together.

Maybe for when she gets older, but I really enjoy the 3 translated seasons. The VA is actually really good and I prefer it to the original.

Hmm yeah I actually would recommend this show as well. Too bad Funimation only dubbed like 50 episodes.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You should teach her Japanese/English at the same time.
Perfect way to do it with anime and young kids/malleable sponge brains.

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon and the glitter force show on Netflix. My nieces were hooked on them without any help lol. I got them the ghibli movie collection and when I visit them on holidays we break out a new one to watch.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Too many childless otakus stinking up this thread.

Aside from the already mentioned Polar Bear, Hamtaro, Astro Boy, Squid Girl and Kaidan Restaurant will get you alot of mileage.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Heidi was pretty good for a two year old. Belle and Sebastian if you can find it would be awesome.

Damn I need to go watch Belle and Sebastian.

Edit: Woot go youtube!

My 8 month old is not impressed.

yencid

Oct 27, 2017
Cardcaptor sakura is a pretty light and fluffy one that brightens up my day every time i see it.

Theres a new series out but even the original is worth a watch.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Precure

Also, don't expect them to learn Japanese out of just a tv show — I've read to my 4 year old since she was little in Japanese, and have tried just conversing to her in it (which is one method hat is often suggested), but it's not early enough.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doraemon.

Be warned though, the brand has no popularity in the US. So you'll be the only one she can talk to about it.

Also to those mentioning Keroro, wtf you on? IIRC it can get pervy at times, plus the dub punches up the comedy to make it for older youth/teens.