• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

After 34 Years, Someone Finally Beat Tetris

The first ever "True" Killscreen was just reached in NES Tetris. Can this record ever be broken?Blue Scuti's full WR VOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh...

Thirteen year old NES Tetris master Blue Scuti recently defeated the game by being the first human to ever reach a point at which the game crashes. This "True Killscreen" was thought to be unreachable for decades.

I've been very casually following the NES Tetris scene for a few years and it's amazing to me just how far things have progressed in such a short amount of time. Going from DAS, to hypertapping, to rolling, and now to just straight up crashing the game. It's nuts.

Here's the full 40 minute game followed by an interview with Blue Scutti from the official Classic Tetris channel:

www.youtube.com

Blue Scuti Beats NES Tetris

With rolling players theoretically playing forever or as long as the game can handle, this video features CTWC 2023 semi-finalist 13 year old Blue Scuti doin...

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I don't know why I thought the title said Hatris. This is cool too though.

Oct 26, 2017
DtrvI62WsAAe6ya.jpg

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was this killscreen discovered in a TAS? That's wild if it wasn't, but I guess people wouldn't mess around too far after getting a maxed out score.

OP
OP
CKOHLER

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Was this killscreen discovered in a TAS? That's wild if it wasn't, but I guess people wouldn't mess around too far after getting a maxed out score.
It was first discovered using a bot programmed to play the game but as the video explains, it doesn't always occur at the same place. Turns out there are variables to how it can be triggered.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, this is so cool. Go humans, beat the machines. Fuck these robots. We can do anything.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow the scene but crazy to think this is the case given how impressive all the Tetris Grand Masters are. Which yes I know different version with different rules but still.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That is amazing.

Also it's really interesting that in theory, you could go beyond that, but you need to play in such a specific way as to avoid all possible crashes, which would be really interesting to see if folks can pull off.

Lastly, the true "final level" of 255, being glitched to become ALL RED, is sort of perfect lol

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I remember a few years ago watching aGameScout's video where he first explains rolling and I remember wondering how much it would change things.

Clearly it changed everything.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw the interview at the end.. and he JUST lost his Dad a few weeks ago? 😢

Wow just wow. Amazing kid and person. Talk about mental toughness.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The human brain's response time starts to slow down when you hit your early 20s, so this kid has a decade of video game dominance ahead

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
So I was watching the first video a bit and skipping around. Just wanted to clarify: are the record beaters playing on original NES systems with original controllers? Is that a requirement for recognition?

Seik

Banned
Jan 5, 2023
Québec City
This got me a huge urge to play Tetris, as any time I hear the damn name.

This is mighty impressive too, the little dude is only 13 years old, god damn, the kids are gonna be alright.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That reaction time. Jesus. Suddenly, I don't feel bad when I lose matches to insane players in fighting games.

I don't even know what was happening on screen.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
So I was watching the first video a bit and skipping around. Just wanted to clarify: are the record beaters playing on original NES systems with original controllers? Is that a requirement for recognition?
The only thing is people use a game genie code to let the score go over 999,999.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Impressive! I suck so much at Tetris, there was a brief time when I was decent at it during my Puyo Puyo Tetris time.

What does tickling the balls of the controller do? Almost feels like a sketch.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
That was a wonderful video, really well done.
Also, very heartwarming to see his "rival" on getting to the crash actively cheering him on during his own stream. Let's see who can get to 255!

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
CKOHLER - Perhaps you should edit the first post to state that the initial video explains the rolling technique. For those of us who only read your text at first (at least three in this thread), we went to a search browser for the info instead.

~~~

That's an impressive achievement, though it should be noted that it would've likely been done decades ago had players known about the rolling technique back then. This kid is simply taking advantage of new knowledge... good for him.

Also, should the Tetris scene reserve the title of "Grandmaster" for players who make it to Level 255 in the future? It doesn't seem proper to apply it to anyone today.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Great video. I loved seeing Fractal's reaction to Willis getting the killscreen.