• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
Nestlé, the world's largest consumer goods company, adds sugar and honey to infant milk and cereal products sold in many poorer countries, contrary to international guidelines aimed at preventing obesity and chronic diseases, a report has found.

Campaigners from Public Eye, a Swiss investigative organisation, sent samples of the Swiss multinational's baby-food products sold in Asia, Africa and Latin America to a Belgian laboratory for testing.

The results, and examination of product packaging, revealed added sugar in the form of sucrose or honey in samples of Nido, a follow-up milk formula brand intended for use for infants aged one and above, and Cerelac, a cereal aimed at children aged between six months and two years.

In Nestlé's main European markets, including the UK, there is no added sugar in formulas for young children. While some cereals aimed at older toddlers contain added sugar, there is none in products targeted at babies between six months and one year.

Laurent Gaberell, Public Eye's agriculture and nutrition expert, said: "Nestlé must put an end to these dangerous double standards and stop adding sugar in all products for children under three years old, in every part of the world."

Obesity is increasingly a problem in low- and middle-income countries. In Africa, the number of overweight children under five has increased by nearly 23% since 2000, according to the World Health Organization. Globally, more than 1 billion people are living with obesity.

It is not always easy for consumers in any country to tell whether a product contains added sugar, and how much is present, based on nutritional information printed on packaging alone. Labels often include naturally occurring sugars in milk and fruit under the same heading as any added sugars.

WHO guidelines for the European region say no added sugars or sweetening agents should be permitted in any food for children under three. While no guidance has been specifically produced for other regions, researchers say the European document remains equally relevant to other parts of the world.

source: https://www.theguardian.com/global-...nt-milk-sold-in-poorer-countries-report-finds

why they are keep being vile when public knew

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
They had a whole anti-breast milk misinformation propaganda campaign in the 70s to sell more formula in Africa.

For that and them stealing fresh water in Canada and selling it back in plastic bottles for ungodly profits and other shenanigans I gave up all nestle products ages ago.

Kit Kats and aero bars are among my favs, but the boycott shall forever continue due to shit like this.

Edit: meant to include a link

Last edited:

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
why am I not surprised? They're basically Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain-tier in terms of how blatant their evilness is.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Nestle's fascinating because pretty sure their whole business model is 'How can we make food and snack manufacturing as apocalyptic and dangerous to society as fossil fuel and gun manufacturers'.

I bet you their food labels are made out of abestos.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nestle's been doing shit like this for decades. My mom HATES them with a passion because of this stuff. She wouldn't even let us buy their chocolate products when I was little because she loathed them that much.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
Pretty much every corporation is inherently evil, but I'm not sure there's another that's as unapologetically evil as Nestle. They are evil and proud.

OP
OP
jungius

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
Majority of formulas have sugar I think?

The results, and examination of product packaging, revealed added sugar in the form of sucrose or honey in samples of Nido, a follow-up milk formula brand intended for use for infants aged one and above, and Cerelac, a cereal aimed at children aged between six months and two years.

In Nestlé's main European markets, including the UK, there is no added sugar in formulas for young children. While some cereals aimed at older toddlers contain added sugar, there is none in products targeted at babies between six months and one year.

Laurent Gaberell, Public Eye's agriculture and nutrition expert, said: "Nestlé must put an end to these dangerous double standards and stop adding sugar in all products for children under three years old, in every part of the world."

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Cxjzt92UcAEYet8.jpg:large

A handy reminder of what products not to buy

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Regulations are a good thing.

I'm not really shocked that a corporation will do everything it is allowed to do to keep their products cheap,
but i'm kinda shocked to hear that Nestle could actually use real honey in some of their products.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Cxjzt92UcAEYet8.jpg:large

A handy reminder of what products not to buy

Some of this is out of date, yeah. Crunch bars are somehow not under Nestle anymore, despite the original name. I know the Pure Life water is also under a new brand (Blue Triton or something), though I'm paranoid it's a shell company for them or something, lol.