• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
petapixel.com

Netflix Accused of Using AI Photos in True Crime Documentary

Misshapen fingers appeared on screen.

What Jennifer Did AI images
Fans have noticed misshapen hands in What Jennifer Did on Netflix.
Netflix has been accused of using AI-manipulated images in a new true crime documentary What Jennifer Did.

The documentary revolves around Jennifer Pan who was convicted of a kill-for-hire attack on her parents. Around 28 minutes into the documentary, Pan's high school friend Nam Nguyen is described as a "bubbly, happy, confident, and very genuine" person. His words are accompanied by a series of relevant photos.

But upon closer inspection of the images, there are signs of manipulation; one image in particular showing Pan flashing peace signs with both arms appears blatantly manipulated offering evidence that at least some of the image was AI-generated.

On Pan's left hand, she appears to have only two fingers; missing a thumb, a pinky finger, and a ring ringer. On her right hand, she is missing a pinky finger and her thumb appears unnaturally long and disjointed. AI image generators notoriously have a hard time making pictures of human hands.

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
Both hands are fucked. When did retouching become such a lost art?

We have people who fix this shit for a living and had been for decades before ai came in and wrecked the scene.

Hell it's a Major at art schools...you can dedicate your entire degree to making sure this shit doesn't happen. Just...what the fuck...

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine you'd not want to mess with any images or produce any fakes for True Crime shows. Along with Netflix, A24 is already in hot water with those terrible Civil War AI ads, and i'm sure we're gonna see even more brazen uses of AI while real artists and creatives are struggling right now for work.

These companies don't give a FUCK.

CBZ

Jul 2, 2022
I remember hearing about concerns similar to this with the film Late Night with the Devil. Of course, that film was produced very early into AI being used in media, had it been produced any later I could see them completely removing the offending images. And that film was completely fictional.

If you're going to make a true crime documentary, why on earth would you use AI to recreate supposed photos?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well they never said it was a true True Crime documentary

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna deny that the fingers are fucked up, but is the assertion that the people that did the documentary fully faked the image?

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
I haven't watched it, but the articles I've read on it were saying that the documentary was trying to portray the subject of the film as some fun loving person or something along those lines

true crime nuts love when someone snaps i guess

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I like how people are just like "it's the hands!" and not the fact that everything behind her is just AI noise that doesn't actually look like anything. Like, what the fuck are those red antennae things behind her? What is anything on the unit she's in front of? The whole image is just nonsense.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I like how people are just like "it's the hands!" and not the fact that everything behind her is just AI noise that doesn't actually look like anything. Like, what the fuck are those red antennae things behind her? What is anything on the unit she's in front of? The whole image is just nonsense.
For real. The hands are obvious but the whole image is fucked.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017

Yuuuuup.

It's pretty wild.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I already have enough issues with true crime as it is without them using AI to literally make shit up.

Jan 23, 2024
I already have enough issues with true crime as it is without them using AI to literally make shit up.

I feel like it's the unfortunate natural extension of true crime media that takes wild liberties with the source material. But to just completely fabricate photos while pretending they're normal documentary material is taking it to another level of depravity.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I've heard this is one of their worst true crime yet, but this AI allegation really takes the cake. You better off just reading wiki about the case than watching this.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Not even just "it's the hands!", it's like "Hmm, there seems to be something off with some of the fingers here."

And it's like uhhhh the entire thing is fucked what are you talking about??? 😂

Bengraven