• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With amazons shift to ad focused streaming. We are genuinely on a ticking timer for the rest to follow. Don't be surprised if ad free tiers vanish for streaming services in the next 2 or so years.

nah

the strategy is to make the ad-free tier so expensive that it can sustain itself but still draw in the diehards willing to pay for it. it will continue to increase in price, but it's not going to vanish. they are just going to keep inching it up until they find the point they are happy with.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I would pay the Netflix sub only for that smooth UI. Every time I watch something on Prime and even on D+ I keep thinking about how much better the Netflix UI is.

And there's so much content to watch. Good and trash but entertaining nonetheless. I almost never go on Netflix and don't find something to watch if I'm in the mood.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Stranger Things gets maybe five days of conversation and then I never hear about it again.
The most recent ST season was probably the most popular one yet. It had way more discussion than even season 1 did.

And Bridgeton is huge and talked about a lot more than most 'popular' shows. The audience is just almost entirely women so it's not gonna be in the same circles as many shows in terms of discussion

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The most recent ST season was probably the most popular one yet. It had way more discussion than even season 1 did.

People are going to hate this, but do I think a lot of that was due to the staggered release giving time for discussion and theories to happen, rather than it being a thing that drops and everyone just binges in a weekend and then moves on.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
People are going to hate this, but do I think a lot of that was due to the staggered release giving time for discussion and theories to happen, rather than it being a thing that drops and everyone just binges in a weekend and then moves on.
Plus every episode being a fucking movie. You have to be reeeeally dedicated to watch all of that in a weekend.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're doomed, but we do hear about how not enough people are watching their big shows and they're getting cancelled an awful lot. Obviously they're making money. But they're also pouring a lot of it into a hole and they're behind on people actually TALKING about their shows.
Yeah obviously there are problems with the streaming video business model and they still have challenges. It's just that peoples' perception of it exists in a tiny little box and any level of disinterest on their part gets magnified into a assuming that it must be failing horribly, when the reality is that they're arguably the most successful and least precarious of the bunch.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
One Piece was an exception, but I worry about future seasons. ST had a lot of discussion at first but then fell off with new seasons.

You are in a huge bubble. Most recent season of ST revived a song from the mid-80s into a huge phenomenon.
The last Netflix show I really got into was the early seasons of The Crown, but that kind of fell off as it went on (EDIT: actually The Komenski Method was great).

They don't have anything that can rival House of the Dragon or Severance imo
Ripley just came out two weeks ago.

Oct 27, 2017
Stranger Things gets maybe five days of conversation and then I never hear about it again.
That's a you problem. Season 4 was critically adored and was talked about for months because of the split season and Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill'.

This sounds like someone who doesn't have Netflix.
Always tends to be the case. A sizeable contingent of Era has this weird divorced-from-reality take when it comes to Netflix's content.

Jun 10, 2018
That's a you problem. Season 4 was critically adored and was talked about for months because of the split season and Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill'.

Always tends to be the case. A sizeable contingent of Era has this weird divorced-from-reality take when it comes to Netflix's content.
It's because they conflate their personal dislike of Netflix with the platform lacking content.

No matter how many shows/movies you rattle off, certain members on Era will just always view Netflix as a platform that doesn't have any quality on it.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
For the people who are old enough , do yall remember how network tvs were refusing to share content with Netflix cause they wanted them to choke from no content ? lol Netflix laughing all the way to the bank Now. There was a time where people were thinking it would die cause fox, nbc , cbs refused to put there content on netlfix instead opting to open Hulu.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
They have no good shows
They should release weekly
Disney + will kill them
They cancel everything
lol adam sandler
lol zack snyder

did I forget anything?

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I think people overlook that social media algorithms are personally tailored to the individual. On top of that not everyone goes to social media to talk about the shows they're watching.

My wife watches shows like Virgin River and Firefly Lane which were successful Netflix shows and she talks about them in group chats with her friends or in person.

If you're not seeing discussion about shows you're interested in then social media is working as intended. It doesn't mean that it's failed because you personally do not get exposed to it.

holeung

Oct 28, 2017
Netflix UK is singlehandedly carrying the service.

One Day, The Gentlemen, Fool Me Once and Baby Reindeer.

Pull yourself together, Netflix US

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Weird. I guess people don't like watching ads and waiting for weekly episodes.

Who knew except people who like consuming media with as few roadblocks as possible.

I agree with point 1, I feel point 2 devalues content and Netflix's whole model is just dumping as hard and fast as possible, it all feels disposable at some level but that's just me I guess.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
But they got nothing, and people will cancel in droves once they can't share their accounts… or so I've been told.

Yeah all the people on here who were sure this would hurt them were wrong. I don't watch a ton of TV anymore (damn 16 month old) but no one seems to be touching Netflix anytime soon in the streaming space.

Jan 20, 2022
lol what is this? 2017?
Don't I wish! In 2017 Netflix put out Ozark, Mindhunter, American Vandal, Castlevania, Glow, Dear White People and End of the Fucking World

Lol I'm just trolling. I'm sure there's some great content on Netflix and their stuff clearly resonates with lots of people. I personally unsubbed a couple years ago and haven't ever felt like I'm missing out on anything. But I'm sure others would disagree with me. I tend to watch more movie than shows and I feel like movies is Netflix's weak spot

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
That sucks, they platform some really terrible people, I wish more people would take a stand against it by not giving them their money.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, nothing compares to its diversity world wide. They really nail the water cooler shows.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I always keep a Netflix sub going then rotate the other streaming services depending on which one happens to have a few shows/films stocked up that I now fancy watching.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Keep adding nature documentaries with Morgan Freeman narrating and I'll keep subbing.

Oct 26, 2017
That sucks, they platform some really terrible people, I wish more people would take a stand against it by not giving them their money.
It's undeniably shitty but they platform some pretty good people as well. Hannah Gadsby's Gender Agenda came out within the last few months and she calls out Netflix championing Dave Chappelle while platforming gay and trans comedians. The last Netflix is a Joke festival had a variety of themed specials as well, including a queer one.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
The power of kdramas lol. Kidding aside Netflix has built up such an international treshold of shows not many can catch up I bet.

Worth it for the K-Drama alone.

Not an exaggeration. Their deals with the Korean studios including Studio Dragon have made Netflix such a powerhouse that they basically operate like a major American network in terms of weekly content (that is regularly simulcast in english subs if not dubs). It's serious enough that it has the screenwriters and directors guilds at least talking about strikes, since Netflix has been delivering show budgets few can compete with, but also specifically doesn't pay out residuals. (See this Hollywood Reporter article from last year)

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I unsubscribed about a year ago and honestly haven't missed it.
I don't watch that much tv, and appletv+, Disney+ and the local tv streams have been plenty for me.

But I'm obviously not the norm, that's a lot of new subscribers.

Lordfifth

Jul 31, 2022
thats the key here that people are missing, netflix has a tremendous first movers advatadge in the most countries, for example in my country its the number one option with everything else being miles behind
what are people even watching lol
alot of things, my family just sets down and puts a random show on, my mother likes horror/ hisotrical shows so she puts on anything that fits the bill, and sometimes finds pretty good obsecure shows, netflix has so many not known to the mainstream shows, but popular within their own niche .

and most people just put anything within a genere they like

if netflix gets sports espcially champions league football/prem/laliga its over for other streaming services world wide.
Praise the drawing power of Suits.
thtas also another factor, suits is not well regarded on the interent but its very very popular, there are plenty of shows like this on netflix
whats that?

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it doesn't surprise me anymore. I was really sour on Netflix library 1-2 years ago but ironically with others starting to license out movies and shows again (especially Warner brothers with max/hbo) Netflix has a lot of good content that is rotating. They are going to make Netflix even more dominant by doing this

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Netflix pumps out so much content it's just not worth my time to sift through any of it, so I don't. It literally never crosses my mind to open up Netflix when I want to watch something unless I hear some kind of buzz or hype.

Honestly it's not surprising that an enthusiast forum like this doesn't like Netflix. Keep in mind this is also a place against mobile games and f2p, and that market is dominating the gaming space. I think to be attracted to this style of community, you probably have taste in media that's a bit more thoughtful. And Netflix just churns out braindead content with the occasional gem.

Apr 12, 2021
I lost access to my subscription after there was a crackdown on people using a VPN to subscribe to another country for cheaper prices.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :(

I would sub back to the tier with ads, but if they don't want to make it public what content you can't access under that tier, then I won't be going back.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I lost access to my subscription after there was a crackdown on people using a VPN to subscribe to another country for cheaper prices.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :(

I would sub back to the tier with ads, but if they don't want to make it public what content you can't access under that tier, then I won't be going back.

www.whats-on-netflix.com

175 Movies and Series Unavailable on Netflix's Ad Tier in 2024

The number of titles unavailable on Netflix's ad tier has reduced by almost 50% since last year.

It's basically newer Sony films and Universal TV shows. I would be surprised if those aren't fixed by in the next year tbh.