• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
A company will literally NEVER state to the press "yeah we fucking fired their asses because they spoke out against us"
So yeah, im sure they did crash a meeting and got fired as a result
Sure

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Very curious how a 500 person virtual event can even be crashed or how lax their security was. Could anyone with the link have just shown up or did security explicitly let them in just to fire them for it?

All depends on what they use for meeting software, honestly. I work at Google and I'm 99% sure any employee with the right link could attend whatever meeting they wanted. If there's a password, that's usually trivial to get if you know someone that will be there. We also livestream some of our bigger calls as a simulcast, but presenters can't see who's watching those so, in my case, it would need to be the former scenario to even know Terra and the other two employees were there. If none of them said anything, there were probably moderators that knew to look for them (or others). Otherwise the normal attendees would have to know EVERYONE that should and shouldn't be there. Which I find nearly impossible to believe is the case.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
All depends on what they use for meeting software, honestly. I work at Google and I'm 99% sure any employee with the right link could attend whatever meeting they wanted. If there's a password, that's usually trivial to get if you know someone that will be there. We also livestream some of our bigger calls as a simulcast, but presenters can't see who's watching those so, in my case, it would need to be the former scenario to even know Terra and the other two employees were there. If none of them said anything, there were probably moderators that knew to look for them (or others). Otherwise the normal attendees would have to know EVERYONE that should and shouldn't be there. Which I find nearly impossible to believe is the case.

Sure, but this is my point.

Either there's no real system to enforce limited attendance, which would suggest it's not considered an especially important issue or the kind of breach that would usually result in possibly losing your job, or there's a strict filtering policy — even zoom gives you the option to have a person serve as a kind of security who has to manually allow each user in — and they still allowed people in that they shouldn't have, presumably with the intention of creating a breach to then punish. Either it's such a non-issue that they don't do anything to preserve the integrity of the meeting, but they're going to pretend that it is now so they can use it as an excuse. Or they do normally enforce security and deliberately didn't so that they could use it as an excuse. Either way, it's absurdly transparent.

It's not like it was some kind of in person event where they barged past security or made a spectacle. With 500 people attending a chat room or call, how do you even notice three random people unless you are explicitly looking for a reason to go after those particular employees?

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but this is my point.

Either there's no real system to enforce limited attendance, which would suggest it's not considered an especially important issue or the kind of breach that would usually result in possibly losing your job, or there's a strict filtering policy — even zoom gives you the option to have a person serve as a kind of security who has to manually allow each user in — and they still allowed people in that they shouldn't have, presumably with the intention of creating a breach to then punish. Either it's such a non-issue that they don't do anything to preserve the integrity of the meeting, but they're going to pretend that it is now so they can use it as an excuse. Or they do normally enforce security and deliberately didn't so that they could use it as an excuse. Either way, it's absurdly transparent.

It's not like it was some kind of in person event where they barged past security or made a spectacle. With 500 people attending a chat room or call, how do you even notice three random people unless you are explicitly looking for a reason to go after those particular employees?

You're overthinking it. There's a level of "trust" that large corporations have of their employees (talking office workers here). It's usually extremely easy to violate that trust, but people don't do it because they could lose their jobs. As to how they knew they attended? Could be an automatic software thing, or a meeting organizer scanned through the attendees list. In any case, we don't really know if them attending the meeting is the true reason for the suspension, but also I can definitely understand the company's perspective on why they had to in this case. Hopefully employees will still get a chance to voice their concerns about the special and other situations in the future.

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit I just started giving them my money for squid game and some of their horror stuff. Gonna go find that cancel button.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yes...suspending an employee for...*checks notes*...attending a virtual meeting with 500 people in it. That's a new one, Netflix.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Sarandos also said that Chappelle's last special, Sticks & Stones, is Netflix's "most watched, stickiest, and most award winning stand-up special to date."

This tells you all you need to know. They don't care about people, they care about what people watch.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Wow this is bullshit.

Times like this I usually get curious what the tech bros on hacker news are saying. But it's just sickening.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Cross posting:

Nobody finds "the art of standup" to be mean spirited. This particular standup is the issue.

It's maddening because a genius like Chappelle could joke about a million other topics and tear the house down every time. It's intentional cruelty at this point.

Hopefully the fired employee at the very least gets a large settlement.
It will never not be dumb how he's focused on anti trans/TERF jokes. Like you said a million other things and this is what he's using to define himself right now

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A fucking >500-person Zoom meeting, at that. As if a single person, who likely wouldn't even have privileges to speak, would ruin the whole company for sitting in on an earnings discussion. It's insane.
It's not an earnings discussion, it's a 2-day conference for the leadership to review strategy and for the board to get more unfiltered information. It makes complete sense that they don't want every employee in attendance. At any rate, suspending someone for "attending a meeting" would be pretty stupid. In my line of work, I've joined meetings at my boss's invitation only to be scolded by their boss and told to leave but that was always the end of it

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Cripes, her Director shared the link?

Why on earth did they need to "investigate" that? It seems more like they're just reversing their decision because people were vocal about their excuse sucking.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
OK sure, then explain all the rainbow themed products during Pride Month. /s
NFVqUZt.png

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
The Fetishism around some corporations is wack and unhealthy.

I don't understand it. Like not one iota. At the same time I also don't understand people being surprised about the things corporations do either. It's like yeah be outraged all you want, but people always act surprised.

Can you believe this mega corporation is doing (insert shitty thing here that makes piles of money) this?!

Why yes, yes I do. And they will continue doing that until it stops.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Netflix and Chappelle, Spotify and Rogan. these techbros love their 'uncancellable' problematic balds

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I actually know Terra (the woman who got suspended) IRL, lol. She's great and obviously didn't deserve to get suspended. I don't have any doubts that she'd be able to find a job elsewhere and survive, she seems to be a very talented person, but this is still incredibly shitty of Netflix. Also, it's surreal seeing some random person I know have a topic be made about her here.

I highly encourage everyone to read her thread that was posted earlier. It's powerful.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017

Ding ding ding.

Some director or other senior manager 2+ steps above her used the meeting thing as an excuse to try and fire her because they were displeased. Other senior management or someone even higher stepped in to force a reversal.

Whole thing reeks of someone in management flexing their ability to fire people for whatever bullshit they make up.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I actually know Terra (the woman who got suspended) IRL, lol. She's great and obviously didn't deserve to get suspended. I don't have any doubts that she'd be able to find a job elsewhere and survive, she seems to be a very talented person, but this is still incredibly shitty of Netflix. Also, it's surreal seeing some random person I know have a topic be made about her here.

I highly encourage everyone to read her thread that was posted earlier. It's powerful.

And now this is when I wonder if we know each other since I'm also an IRL friend of Terra's. >.>

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
And now this is when I wonder if we know each other since I'm also an IRL friend of Terra's. >.>

Probably not, I've only actually met her once or twice and we don't know each other very well. It's likely we have mutual friends as we're both probably close friends with bay area trans people working in tech/interesting in gaming and I find people in that space tend to intermingle a decent amount, though.