BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL

JUST ANNOUNCED: @Netflix co-founder & CEO @ReedHastings and his wife Patty Quillin say they'll give $120M, to be split among Morehouse & @SpelmanCollege & @UNCF — the largest single individual gift ever to support scholarships at historically black colleges and universities.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I'm not a fan of Billionaires overall, but Reed Hastings seems like a really good guy. I'm sure someone can tell me why I should hate him, but he seems to be low-key awesome:

www.vox.com

Netflix’s billionaire founder is secretly building a luxury retreat for teachers in rural Colorado

Park County hasn’t been able to figure out who is behind a 2,100-acre center for education reform. It’s Reed Hastings.

"I had a bunch of money, and I didn't really want to buy yachts," Hastings recalled in one interview. "I started looking at education, trying to figure out why our education is lagging when our technology is increasing at great rates and there's great innovation in so many other areas — health care, biotech, information technology, moviemaking. Why not education?"

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
that's a lot of money

lol

I know I love that quote. The guy spent his early years hitchhiking and teaching in Swaziland, was a part of the Peace Corps, and basically made his wealth straight from software he developed. His biggest downer IMO is that he was on the Facebook board, but he quit that.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'm not a fan of Billionaires overall, but Reed Hastings seems like a really good guy. I'm sure someone can tell me why I should hate him, but he seems to be low-key awesome:

www.vox.com

Netflix’s billionaire founder is secretly building a luxury retreat for teachers in rural Colorado

Park County hasn’t been able to figure out who is behind a 2,100-acre center for education reform. It’s Reed Hastings.
Yeah I looked as well and he seems to be a good guy but don't see anything come up about him when I looked.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he needs to watch the wire. funding universities is good, but they need to get funding to schools in poor districts. it needs to start at literally the pre-k level.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
can't be cynical about that. genuinely a really great gesture and that investment towards education will hopefully go towards helping a lot of people.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This is great, and needed, seeing as the Trump administration/DeVos Ed. Department has largely absconded from their promise to boost funding for HBCUs

RedPanda

Alt-Account
Banned
May 28, 2020
in a country where the government fails, rich people like him are more than welcome and honestly he is a genuine cool dude.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I know I love that quote. The guy spent his early years hitchhiking and teaching in Swaziland, was a part of the Peace Corps, and basically made his wealth straight from software he developed. His biggest downer IMO is that he was on the Facebook board, but he quit that.
Sounds like an interesting dude.

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

www.vox.com

He's generally really terrible on education. He's the driving money force behind trying to privatize LAUSD and bust the Unions.

Some articles:

dianeravitch.net

Reed Hastings: Destroyer of Public Schools

Reed Hastings, billionaire founder of Netflix, hates public schools. He wants to eliminate school boards and replace them with corporate management. He has spent more than $100 million promoting ch…

edsource.org

Reed Hastings backs school board candidates, but opposes elected school boards

The Netflix co-founder who has donated some of the biggest sums to charter school causes in California since 2011 thinks elected school boards are holding back education progress in the United States.

Oct 27, 2017

www.vox.com

Yeah, he does. For the most part.

An exception to the rule.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
He's generally really terrible on education. He's the driving money force behind trying to privatize LAUSD and bust the Unions.

Some articles:

dianeravitch.net

Reed Hastings: Destroyer of Public Schools

Reed Hastings, billionaire founder of Netflix, hates public schools. He wants to eliminate school boards and replace them with corporate management. He has spent more than $100 million promoting ch…

edsource.org

Reed Hastings backs school board candidates, but opposes elected school boards

The Netflix co-founder who has donated some of the biggest sums to charter school causes in California since 2011 thinks elected school boards are holding back education progress in the United States.

There it is.