• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Netflix doesn't seem to understand, that with all the exclusive content on different platforms, customers will want to subscribe to multiple services to see all the popular shows. So good luck with increasing their prices. Will be funny when Disney launches their own platform next year and starts to remove the Marvel / Disney stuff from Netflix.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
In Germany they're also testing a €19.99 ($23) 'Ultra' option that exclusively includes HDR while not limiting the number of streams on Premium:

GHfx8ce.png

Wow 6 € is a ridiculous jump. 72 € for an entire year of HDR basically... Amazon Prime Germany costs 69 € a year. When the price of a HDR upgrade costs as much as an entire different streaming service you fucked up.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Netflix doesn't seem to understand, that with all the exclusive content on different platforms, customers will want to subscribe to multiple services to see all the popular shows. So good luck with increasing their prices. Will be funny when Disney launches their own platform next year and starts to remove the Marvel / Disney stuff from Netflix.

Again, Netflix do not have a Disney deal in Europe, and their growth has done fine.

And the vast (vast) majority of European subscribers are also subscribers to other services already.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
In Germany they're also testing a €19.99 ($23) 'Ultra' option that exclusively includes HDR while not limiting the number of streams on Premium:

GHfx8ce.png
Who in germany pays that more just for HDR? Lächerlich ! Throw in 1 or 2 extra devices and this is maybe something to consider. I share with 4 buddies so i don't mind little price raises as long as i can keep sharing my account and split the bill.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got six months of Netflix with my TV so I got used to having it active all the time, but I need to go back to subscribing for a month or two every year instead. That 20€ tier with HDR is ridiculous.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm from Spain, here thy aren't limiting the number of simultaneous devices, it's still 4 for premium. The very second they do that they can go fuck themselves.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Again, Netflix do not have a Disney deal in Europe, and their growth has done fine.

They still have multiple Disney/Pixar movies, multiple Marvel movies and of course all those Marvel TV shows. When Disney will launch their service, it's only a matter of time until they will lose most of this content / the license to make new content.

And the vast (vast) majority of European subscribers are also subscribers to other services already.

And you don't think this will change when they a) increase prices that much and b) lose content at the same time?

If I had any Netflix stock, I would sell. Their shares seem highly overvalued, and the streaming market will be much more competitive in the future.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
They still have multiple Disney/Pixar movies, multiple Marvel movies and of course all those Marvel TV shows. When Disney will launch their service, it's only a matter of time until they will lose most of this content / the license to make new content.

There's still not actually any evidence at all Disney even are launching a service outside of the US (other than the ones they already have, obvs), and Disney's statements on pulling content only relate to the earlier window US deal.

And you don't think this will change when they a) increase prices that much and b) lose content at the same time?

Maybe. But historically the likes of Sky et al have been able to retain sufficient share to still grow, so probably less than many here think.

If I had any Netflix stock, I would sell. Their shares seem highly overvalued, and the streaming market will be much more competitive in the future.

I wouldn't disagree with that. I'd totally sell any Netflix stock I have and buy Disney stock with it (then again, I'd generally do the opposite of Era generally on stock given some of you bought Moviepass and Game UK stock!)

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

They do, but not everywhere in Europe, because there is no Country of Europe and licensing is done per country, not continent.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Canada hasn't changed yet, but if they paywall HDR, cut from 4 to 2 and still raise the price, I'm out.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me. I'm the person that pays for Netflix for 3 other people in my family. This is going to be awkward.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
They do, but not everywhere in Europe, because there is no Country of Europe and licensing is done per country, not continent.

By "Disney deal" in this context I mean a first pay TV window deal, which is the "Disney deal" that is ending in the US.

Netflix and Disney do not have a first pay TV window deal in any country in Europe, and never have.

I do wonder if this board is simply too young to remember when modern pay television started in the 80s, and the cost, and how Netflix is obviously modelling themselves on that.

In 1989 Sky UK started charging £8 per month for their sub. Primarily due to their film channel. In 2018 a full Sky package is over £100 pm, and they ratcheted it up to capture market share which currently results in half the population subscribing (and their numbers are pretty steady - cord cutting is generally an American thing that doesn't really exist elsewhere).

Sound familiar? What did people think Netflix's stock market valuation was based on?

HBO was $14/month in the states back in the 80s. If you wanted Cinemax, that was an additional $10/ month.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
They are going to raise prices. If they first increase on accounts with more users and more data from their servers then that makes the most sense. What are you going to do, go back to cable and pay $10/mo per receiver?

Oh, its Europe. Yeah I can see it not being worth it as you have less content. In the US, half of the shows I watch are on Netflix, 40% Hulu, 10% HBO. So its $45/mo for all, still a good deal.

If anything HBO is on thin ice. 2 shows per year and more expensive.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone explain to me how you separate 4K and HDR? I thought HDR was a user side feature depending on if your TV supported it or not, not something able to be stripped from content? This is an honest question.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
They are forgetting what made them so popular and an alternative to cable. Soon they will cost as much as cable.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Android Police is reporting that Netflix is indeed testing different things and that users will see different things: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/07/04/netflix-testing-expensive-new-ultra-subscription-tier/

According to TuttoAndroid, users in Italy have noticed a new 'Ultra' plan costing an additional €3. The only discernible difference is the inclusion of HDR support. That seems like a lot of money for no extra screens or other perks, but for the moment this is just a test to see what people make of the new model.

The test shows different things to different people. In a move that would surely cause anger, some users noted that the Premium plan's number of screens had been reduced to just two. Time will tell whether Netflix decides to make any official changes to its pricing structure and roll them more widely. I can only hope the Premium plan I'm already paying for won't be affected.

Italian site TuttoAndroid got a screenshot showing that HDR is locked behind the "Ultra" subscription tier: https://www.tuttoandroid.net/news/netflix-ufficiale-piano-ultra-587363/

netflix-piano-ultra-tta-1.png

And a screenshot showing that premium is limited to 2 screens and the only way to get 4 screens is to get the "Ultra" tier:

netflix-ultra.png

CNET sent an inquiry about this to Netflix and Netflix indeed confirmed they are testing new things and that people will see something different if they are part of this test: https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-rumored-to-be-introducing-new-ultra-plan/

"We continuously test new things at Netflix and these tests typically vary in length of time," Smita Saran, a Netflix spokeswoman, said in an email. "In this case, we are testing slightly different price points and features to better understand how consumers value Netflix."

Not all Netflix subscribers will see the test and the company may not ever offer the specific price points or features being tested, Saran said

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the post - reminded me to cancel my sub as I'm hardly using it at the moment

There's not enough content for me to justify the sub every month

I'll be interested in the 4K Premium though towards the end of the year

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if this board is simply too young to remember when modern pay television started in the 80s, and the cost, and how Netflix is obviously modelling themselves on that.

In 1989 Sky UK started charging £8 per month for their sub. Primarily due to their film channel. In 2018 a full Sky package is over £100 pm, and they ratcheted it up to capture market share which currently results in half the population subscribing (and their numbers are pretty steady - cord cutting is generally an American thing that doesn't really exist elsewhere).

Sound familiar? What did people think Netflix's stock market valuation was based on?

Yeah, I do - I was right in there, had to go out and buy a separate Videocrypt V1.0 decoder just for the Sky Channels, as the Uniden 7007 positioner / receiver I had at the time was made donkeys before encrypted content.

That was a great little bit of kit H-H mount, could get the feed for NHK in Japan on a clear day, and also the US down feed channel so could watch Star Trek TNG as it was being fed from the States to European channels.

*sigh*

Oct 26, 2017
So they would take out HDR from the premium offering? How incredibly fucking sad. Not gonna pay more for HDR, just not gonna do that. Premium is enough as it is and add some goddamn decent movies to your shit Netflix, wow.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
If you cancel your Netflix sub, how long do they keep your profile (settings and lists) on file?

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
People talk about this still being ridiculous value for the price, but I really think it's super dependant on the country. In US where it has a metric fuckton of content it might be true, but not here in Finland. I ain't paying more for what we have here right now.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Prices are fine where they are for a few years. Halving concurrent streams is a dealbreaker. Most other streaming TV packages have at least two concurrent streams on their cheapest plan, so it just straight up loses value for families.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
If they raise the price to $20 for hdr, I'm out. They don't have enough HDR content to justify that price increase.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably bail. It's not worth keeping 12 months out of the year IMO. I'm better off lapsing for a few months for content to build up.

It's almost better for me to be like 2 or 3 months on, then take like a 3-6 month break, and then resub once content has built back up. I already do this with HBO. No reason I can't with Netflix.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Can someone explain to me how you separate 4K and HDR? I thought HDR was a user side feature depending on if your TV supported it or not, not something able to be stripped from content? This is an honest question.

No, your TV needs to support HDR for it to work, but you'll only get an HDR picture if the video signal contains additional HDR metadata. So they just send an SDR signal instead if you don't upgrade.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not paying that money just to keep HDR, that's fucking insane lol.

Always love to see a new tier added that doesn't actually add anything, but just strips features out of previous tiers.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
At this rate cord cutting will become just as expensive as having cable. Vue raised their prices on me just last week.

Dec 2, 2017
I don't know if I'd continue subscribing if they did that. The UK Netflix offerings are pretty lame and a lot of the BBC/ITV/Channel 4 stuff can be found on iplayer or itv player or All 4 for free anyway.

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know there were tiers. I rarely use it anymore but the others in my house do which is why I keep it. I wouldn't pay for the most expensive now never mind if they cut features.
If you cancel your Netflix sub, how long do they keep your profile (settings and lists) on file?
I think it is close to a year.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Does Amazon offer a lot? Available at all in Holland?

They're getting better all the time. And if netflix wants to jump to 20 bucks you could always add HBO or Stars to your sub on amazon for that price. Plus you get the free two day shipping, music streaming and other goodies. $99 a year.

I think it is available. I'm not sure how the content selection is there however. Give the free trial a go.