• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
More crude swearing and less tact or insight. It's like Ricky Gervais continues to "strengthen" the wrong parts, continuing to get further out of balance with the right chord he struck with Extras and The Office.

Glad to see people from Extras still in there.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Please be better than Derek...

Nothing he will do will ever be better than Extras though.

EQDwoJwFl4uS-TeqMKlXpANONnIpA6FlVMA8d7X3cIs.gif

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was that Walder Frey?

Looks good. Gervais' output without Merchant isnt that good though.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
I liked it. Simple and sweet.

Tony's actions at the end of the 4th episode are going to piss off a lot of people online though.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't enjoyed anything he's done without Merchant so I'll wait on this one for a while I think.
Is this some popular meme or something? Or is it to ascribe all the brilliant parts to Merchant instead of Gervais / downplaying Ricky's influence?
I've seen a couple of people post it so it has to be something really hip that only the cool kids know.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't like the look of it be careful not to say anything on Twitter. Gervais' Google alerts will let him know he has to set his fan brigade on you.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Ricky hasn't done anything I would consider good in a while. I'm open to the cynic part, because I love characters like this, but so much of this just feels like Ricky having a moan at people he doesn't like.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Is this some popular meme or something? Or is it to ascribe all the brilliant parts to Merchant instead of Gervais / downplaying Ricky's influence?
I've seen a couple of people post it so it has to be something really hip that only the cool kids know.

Probably

it's not like Stephens written anything of note without Ricky either. Both are better together.

(i haven't seen Fighting with my Family though)

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I love Ricky, going by the trailer this seems like a bad attempt at making the best super hero ever "The Bullshit Man".
It would be better if it was closer to Karl's version. Just fly in during the meeting and say "Bullshit! You're talking bullshit mate.". More comedy less mopeyness.

I'll watch it anyway.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Minus the AV Club, this is getting solid reviews unlike most of Gervais' recent stuff. Looking forward to checking it out tonight.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trailer makes me think that I'll like this, but then so did the trailer for that movie he did.. that I ended up disliking.

I'll check it out this weekend.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know if it's a meme or not but I don't care if it is,I'm just being honest.
I haven't enjoyed any of Stephen Merchants solo projects either.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Easy viewing but man the cinematography/direction is so fucking bad. Looks like something a student could put together at times.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It was decent. Like most of Gervais' shows the savage jokes are so much better than the sentimental stuff and he struggles to make the character turns convincing, but it was entertaining enough. Really weak production values though.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it. Indeed darker than previous shows but also more humane.
I thought it was VERY good. The man knows how to study human behavior and he knows very well to put in words how i think about people and the world.
In this show he does it in a smart way. He lets other characters tell how he perceives the world. Mostly directed towards the main character, played by himself.

Last edited:

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Stephen Merchant reveals why he and Ricky Gervais don't work together anymore
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a864690/stephen-merchant-ricky-gervais-oxford-union/

It still feels like there had to have been a big disagreement/fight between Karl, Stephen and Ricky, after which they just went their separate ways.

After being involved with seasons 1 and 2, Merchant simply vanished for An Idiot Abroad season 3. Karl only did a few episodes of Derek season 2, then bailed (at the time, I think he mentioned it's because he didn't like acting). Karl then went on to do his own thing with Moaning of Life and Sick of It. The three of them even set up a production company when An Idiot Abroad came about, but it went into hibernation afterwards.

A real shame, because I really like Merchant and Karl (and it felt like they always worked as a counter-balance to Ricky's much more mean-spirited stuff).

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It still feels like there had to have been a big disagreement/fight between Karl, Stephen and Ricky, after which they just went their separate ways.

After being involved with seasons 1 and 2, Merchant simply vanished for An Idiot Abroad season 3. Karl only did a few episodes of Derek season 2, then bailed (at the time, I think he mentioned it's because he didn't like acting). Karl then went on to do his own thing with Moaning of Life and Sick of It. The three of them even set up a production company when An Idiot Abroad came about, but it went into hibernation afterwards.

A real shame, because I really like Merchant and Karl (and it felt like they always worked as a counter-balance to Ricky's much more mean-spirited stuff).
Maybe they're fine and maybe your projecting a whole lot about Ricky. I never understand why people see anything worse in him than a reasonable guy.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've watched half of it now. Definitely an improvement over Derek but not nearly as comedic as The Office or Extras (intentionally so I suppose). The directing is generally quite clunky but the humour is spot on. Also the soundtrack is excellent, I'm assuming Ricky got a decent budget from Netflix for that.

I actually think Karl's Sick of It sitcom is substantially better and more deftly deals with the same themes.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it, and really liked it. It's very different from what Gervais has done before (even forgoing the fake docusoap style his previous sitcoms had), and the drama takes center stage over the humor. It still has funny moments, but it all stings a bit more. Some character's could've used some more developing (the new girl in the office has barely anything to do but smile), and some dialogue is somewhat on the nose, but I overall I found it very touching and very human. It also feels very personal.

People like to shit on Gervais for his dickishnish on Twitter , his militant atheism and the crude humor he tends to make, but After Life proves again how humanitarian he is too. He really has a knack for creating believable, interesting characters, and putting some real humanity and emotions into his series. Loved the video bits with his wife for instance. It just felt so sincere.The fifth episode almost had me in tears too, because Tony's pain felt so real. It also shows what a great actor Gervais can be. The scene where
his boss/brother in law confronts him with the call from school and him threatening the kid is a great example. How his voice almost breaks. The look in his eyes. It's not to little, it's not to much. It's just spot on

Yeah, I really liked it. Way more than Derek, which is underrated imo (Derek is also very humane, but suffers from the face Ricky pulls as the character ad the obnoxious piano music :P)