• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love season 1 and I watched a lot of documentary about autism. While it was a bit exagerated, it was still a nice surprise. I never heard of people on the spectrum that get obsessed about finding love tho.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed this show quite a bit, although I am kind of surprised they renewed it as it didn't seem to get any traction whatsoever?

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I truly enjoyed season 1. I'm looking forward to digging into this when I have some free time.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
I'll wait to see how the autistic community (esp. autistic twitter) responds before deciding to watch. But if it's anything like season 1, it'll probably be hard pass. Autistic twitter has been mum, but there's been other stuff going on including politics (e.g. scotus) and more community-specific stuff that I think we all just forget it existed which... says something, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Excellent. Wife made me watch the first episode and enjoyed the whole season.

Looks like we got something to watch this weekend.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
will get to this eventually as i enjoyed s1. i can't remember if any of the actual actors in s1 were actually autistic but it looks like they got some/more autistic actors on the show this time around

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Shame this series doesn't get more attention. Funny and charming and thoughtful.

Luchadorable

Jan 14, 2018
As far as I know, no autistic people were actually involved in the first series. Apparently there are a few autistic people on staff now, but it just feels like tokenism to me. Autistic people are perfectly capable of telling our own stories, but we're always shoved to the side and talked over by neurotypicals. They may think they're doing a good job, but very often do more harm than good in perpetuating stereotypes. representation matters and it's a shame we're not seeing shows about autism written by and starring autistic people

pooptest

Oct 27, 2017
I told my wife precisely this. The Good Doctor feels very fake (the VR scene was cringy as fuck).

Right?! And his voice changes octaves like crazy when he talks, like "how ARE you doING?" Idk how to describe it, but it's incredibly distracting. I much prefer Atypical, but I'm no great critic as I only know one autistic person, a distant cousin.

Regardless, admittedly, I only watch The Good Doctor for Antonia Thomas, anyway. Ever since Misfits and then Scrotal Recall (now called Lovesick, also on Netflix), I've been a huge fan.

Last edited:

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think what I liked most about season 1 was that it was a story about a family with an autistic child that wasn't totally centered around that child by the time we see them. They basically put the typical Oscar-bait family tragedy you see from TV and film about autistic children in the backstory. People can say what they want about the rest of its content, but it was great and refreshing to see that and made an impression on me.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Almost done with s2. Pretty breezy binge with 10 30-min episodes. I can't really comment on the authenticity of the autism characters but I feel like the show has a lot of heart and balances the humor and drama well.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. I thought the first season was mediocre, and this one I found slightly worse (the first season at least had an interesting build up of events whereas this season never came together in the same way). The writing isn't great, the jokes don't land very well, and none of the characters feel like genuine people; the mother and father verge closest on seeming 'real' (and Evan) but the way the plot line comes together isn't very satisfying.

Overall, still not a fan. It's watchable and is fine to have on in the background, but that's about it.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I liked season 1 a lot and season 2 was pretty good though it felt like a step down. The last episode definitely felt rushed. I'm eager for more however.

My hope for a season 3, if it happens, is less focus on the parents and Julia storylines and more on Sam and Casey.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
I watched both seasons in 3 days so it's doing it for me. I feel like all the characters are realistic and it's been a long time since I've seen a TV show handle relationships in high school this well.

but also lol at Evan playing Horizon Zero Dawn while talking like he's playing Fortnite.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
^^^ Yeah, Keir Gilchrist is great in pretty much everything I've ever seen him in. I've been a fan of his since United States of Tara.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I love this TV show! Zahid is the best friend ever. I can only wish I had a friend like that. :)

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this TV show! Zahid is the best friend ever. I can only wish I had a friend like that. :)
It was great this season that you see Sam is helping Zahid just like Zahid helps him when he comes over to Zahid's house and talks to his parents. Not a fan of the daughter cheating on Evan with the new girl right after her mom was cheating and how she reacted to that. That's a bad storyline.