Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
This show was a fun ride but not particularly as deep as ATLA and that left me a bit disinterested at times.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Well it looks like they are ramping up the stakes quite a bit.

People are right in saying it's no ATLA, but that is a super high bar to measure any series - animated or otherwise, imo - with, so...

It's still very good in my opinion (especially after they upped the framerate from the choppy visual experiment that was season 1),so I am looking forward to it (I mean, they made a Sailor Moon reference, you gotta love it for it's nerdy energy, really).

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this! I'm surprised at how fast they're able to pump this show out; but i'll watch whatever they release.

This show was a fun ride but not particularly as deep as ATLA and that left me a bit disinterested at times.

I quite like TDP but Avatar did a lot better with executing on the concepts it went for, especially with the adult themes. I think it's maybe the main cast that's the problem. Rayla and co. are fine but I don't think they're as compelling as Ang and his companions were.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Looking forward to this! I'm surprised at how fast they're able to pump this show out; but i'll watch whatever they release.

I quite like TDP but Avatar did a lot better with executing on the concepts it went for, especially with the adult themes. I think it's maybe the main cast that's the problem. Rayla and co. are fine but I don't think they're as compelling as Ang and his companions were.
They all feel like slight variations of Sokka to me.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping variable playback allows me to trick self into thinking the framerate is normal

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love the Dragon Prince but it's no Avatar.

NOTHING is Avatar.

But I think it's compelling enough to keep watching and I'm invested in all the characters enough to want to see it through to the end.

Here's hoping variable playback allows me to trick self into thinking the framerate is normal
They upped the framerate in Season 2.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Never saw this. Just finished watching Voltron a short while ago and enjoyed that immensely. Need another anime series to watch. You all enjoy this?

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Oh hey, actual good news today. I liked season 1 and 2 a lot, been looking forward to this. Probably my favorite of the animated stuff that Netflix has done.

May 26, 2018
Cool. Always low-key in for this series. Its structure is weird sometimes; it doesn't have Avatar's "lived-in" worldbuilding. But when it's good, it's gold. Aaron Ehasz can still go on a tear.

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, c'mon. Avatar TLA is one of the best TV shows ever, animated or otherwise. It's unfair to expect the same level from TDP.

That being said, I'm excited to see where this goes next. I don't think I finished S2 so I need a refresher before this season is out.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
It's no Avatar, but season 2 was mostly great.
Until the end of the season, where it went bullshit :\

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Still not feeling the 3D animtion...
Don't think I'll ever pick this up.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah, I agree with pretty much everyone else here. Avatar was a once in a lifetime thing it seems, but TDP is pretty enjoyable for sure. Ive enjoyed both seasons so far.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how Claudia and Soren will be manipulated by their father this sesson? 👀👀👀

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Avatar's actually kind of overrated.

1/3 of it is fairly boring. Looking at you, season 1.

And I also don't find Aang that interesting and the MC can make or break a show.I prefer Korra.

This trailer makes next season look epic.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
I just cant get into Art style, 3d is not the problem is the art detection with 3d its too basic. Like after videogames with great engines this one looks like ps2 game with high textures due to art style being a but to simplistic, not to mention he frame rate

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I wish the seasons were longer. But I'm actually quite enjoying it. I ain't even bothered by the animation anymore.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I love this show. The first season took me a while to get over the jittery animation but eventually I got over it. I can't wait for this! I wish the episodes were longer or just more episodes in general but I'll take what I can lol.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to it.

I'm of the view that Michael Dante DiMartino/Brain Konietzko and Aaron Ehasz were able to create A: TLA together. But when they separated and worked on different projects, neither The Legend of Korra or The Dragon Prince has that same magic (but I still think both shows are pretty great).

It was a perfect storm that might never happen again.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
every time i wanted to love this show the dialogue just fell flat. i also don't really care for the characters, which sucks. i wanted to! but in my head the main trio are: sokka (redux), that kinda rude irish elf girl, and a baby. there's not as much depth as i would have liked. still mad that i'm not in the universe where atla had like 3 spinoffs that were as good if not better than the original. don't talk to me about korra.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Dragon Prince is rad and they showed the first episode of Season 3 at AWA and it was AMAZING

Season 3 is gonna be absolutely bonkers

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Very excited, enjoyed both seasons, especially 2. It seems they are ramping things up which has me very excited.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure ill watch

Looking forward to it.

I'm of the view that Michael Dante DiMartino/Brain Konietzko and Aaron Ehasz were able to create A: TLA together. But when they separated and worked on different projects, neither The Legend of Korra or The Dragon Prince has that same magic (but I still think both shows are pretty great).

It was a perfect storm that might never happen again.
I agree, it feels like each unit has something the other is missing. The "ehasz is GOD and theyre LOST WITHOUT HIM AND HE IS BETTER THAN THEM" thing doesnt hold up based on TDP

General Amaya not being the main character is a crime btw

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I was worried this wasn't happening at all as the Dragon Prince entry in the Netflix UI didn't have a blurb about a new season coming.

S1 was good but not great
S2 was an improvement in most every way, though I was actually a little sad the
mystery cosmic 'elf' guy ended up speaking

Looking forward to S3.

Eferim

May 20, 2019
My brother and I just got into this about a month ago and we binged it. Really looking forward to the new season.

I'm clearly in the minority, but so far I'm liking this show more than Avatar. Nothing against Avatar, it's a good show, but I like what they got going on with this show more. Never really cared for Aang and the other main characters.

Sure ill watch

I agree, it feels like each unit has something the other is missing. The "ehasz is GOD and theyre LOST WITHOUT HIM AND HE IS BETTER THAN THEM" thing doesnt hold up based on TDP

General Amaya not being the main character is a crime btw

God I love Amaya. Wish we got to see more of her.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
though I was actually a little sad the
mystery cosmic 'elf' guy ended up speaking
He's been speaking for as long as the show has been running. He literally owned the first three minutes of the show.

He was the "narrator" at the start of the first episode, explaining the backstory of the world and it's current conflict. His hands unrolled the map of the world, as a visual aid for the story he was telling. He showed himself in his own flashback story, as he was present when the Elves and Dragons drove the Humans off to the West to try and contain their evil Dark Magic (he was apparently working with the Elves back then, to expel the Humans). His voice actor got credited by his character's name in the end credits of the first episode.

That was no narrator speaking. That was specifically the mystery cosmic elf guy.

Sometime in the 1000 years between the forced relocation of the Humans and modern times, he got himself trapped in some sort of mirror dimension (possibly a prison), and he seems perfectly fine with exploiting a Human Dark Mage to get out. Which suggests that maybe the original Human Dark Mage may have been a manipulated patsy as well, and he might be the Big Bad of the whole series. Or maybe he eventually turned bad and tried his hand at Dark Magic after watching the Humans do it. Or maybe he's unrelated, but he's willing to use anything, including Dark Magic, to escape his confinement.