• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
The Martian Adapted Screenplay nominee and The Cabin in the Woods filmmaker Drew Goddard has been set to write and direct a new Matrix movie at Warner Bros. with the franchise's original co-scribe and co-director Lana Wachowski executive producing.
It's still early days in regards to whether core castmembers Keanu Reeves, Carrie Anne-Moss, Laurence Fishburne, Hugo Weaving, and Jada Pinkett Smith are coming back.
Jesse Ehrman, Warner Bros. Motion Pictures President of Production said "Drew came to Warner Bros. with a new idea that we all believe would be an incredible way to continue the Matrix world, by both honoring what Lana and Lilly began over 25-years ago and offering a unique perspective based on his own love of the series and characters. The entire team at Warner Bros. Discovery is thrilled for Drew to be making this new Matrix film, adding his vision to the cinematic canon the Wachowskis' spent a quarter of a century building here at the studio."
Said Goddard, "It is not hyperbole to say The Matrix films changed both cinema and my life. Lana and Lilly's exquisite artistry inspires me on a daily basis, and I am beyond grateful for the chance to tell stories in their world."
Goddard, whose box office credits count $1.5 billion at the global box office, received an Academy Award nomination for his screenplay of The Martian, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon. The pic notched six additional Oscar nominations including Best Picture, and also won the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture-Comedy. Goddard wrote such movies as Cloverfield and World War Z, and wrote and directed The Cabin in the Woods and Bad Times at the El Royale.
deadline.com

New ‘Matrix’ Movie In Works At Warner Bros From Drew Goddard

Drew Goddard, the Oscar-nominated screenwriter of The Martian, has been set to write and direct a new Matrix movie at Warner Bros.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

New ‘Matrix’ Movie in the Works With Drew Goddard Writing, Directing

The filmmaker approached Warner Bros. with a new idea to extend the franchise, known for its pioneering visual effects.

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
reboot the whole thing so it doesnt suffer like other ips that wont leave the past behind

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
So safe to say he's probably not gonna director spiderman 4 as he was one of the front runners

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Actually excited to hear this.

I know Resurrections wasn't everyone's cup of tea (Definitely wasn't mine), but the universe has SO much potential. Anyone who has watched The Animatrix knows just how much untapped stories there are in there.

jjdirazn9iq91.gif

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I trust in Drew Goddard. I appreciated them trying to subvert expectations the last film but the execution left a lot to be desired.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Could be neat, Goddard is a cool writer and director. I liked Bad Times at the El Royale a lot.

Also I just want to say that The Matrix Resurrections was a great sequel. The fierce negativity surrounding that movie was just ridiculous.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Resurrections just the Wachowskis saying fuck you to Warner Bros and proving why a Matrix sequel is dumb?

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I thought after Resurrections tanked The Matrix might be done but I guess the original film is just one of those properties that's too successful to ever die for good.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, It can't be worse than the last one. Hopefully they ditch the old cast though, since their story is done, and they do something interesting with a new set of people.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I like Resurrections but I was never too deep in the lore so I'm an outlier. As long as it has the Wachowski blessing, I'm good with this.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really interested in the Matrix separate from the perspective of the Wachowskis, so it's a pass from me.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please be more like The Matrix and Resurrections, and less like Reloaded and Revolutions.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
ok if you are doing shit like Animatrix then you have my attention but otherwise.....

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
fuuuuuuck yes. Wachowski blessing too.

It's not even like I dislike Ressurections, but this exact story is why I called bullshit on some of the defenses.

"Wanted to ensure they never made any more."
"Made sure it wasn't ruined by someone else."
And it's like, why were we pretending giving it to someone the directors like was some impossible task.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Resurrections was so great.

I imagine this will be a full reboot though. You can even call it The Matrix Rebooted. This is the one time that works as a title!

Aug 31, 2019
I could not possibly be less interested. Ressurections was a perfect footnote.
^

I think it made its point. I cannot imagine there are any more points to make. If it ends up being anything other than either a) 'memberberries, or b) a miserable generic action flick, I will be both surprised and joyful.

But as a massive fan of The Matrix, I think it can just stop now please.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
the original is one of my all time favorites, the sequels were good (not great, but had some great scenes), but Resurrection was literally the biggest movie disappointment of my entire life, Goddard is amazing so I trust him and i hope this is a complete reboot (love Keanu and the rest but it's time)

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, It can't be worse than the last one. Hopefully they ditch the old cast though, since their story is done, and they do something interesting with a new set of people.

This. Resurrection was so so bad, a reboot or something with a new cast etc. is the only way I'd be interested.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Maybe if it's a new story with new characters, something more interesting, but if it's more of the same I'd rather they didn't. The first is an all time classic but non of the sequels have come close to that magic and the fourth was not a big hit, so I'm surprised they are bothering with it.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Neat. I like Goddard so I'm pretty optimistic. Will be interesting to see what someone else in the director's chair can do with the material.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Drew Goddard directing this is pretty damn unexciting. Resurrections had a cool first half hour but it really lost its swagger completely when it realized it had to be an action movie too

and I don't think this dude is the one to bring that flashiness back either. He's a b player

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
The Matrix is my favorite movie of all time.

Animatrix is amazing.

I enjoy Reloaded and Revolutions.

Resurrections had a great trailer…

… but was a shit movie. One of the worst I've ever seen.

I think I'm done with this franchise after 4.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
A reboot I imagine will be the idea here (Or a setting/cast with no relation to Neo).

Since the Wachowski's are giving it their blessing, and I can't imagine they'd be doing so for something that undermines Resurrection.
Would also be the best foot forward as a reboot would probably offer more of what the people let down by Resurrection want.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even like I dislike Ressurections, but this exact story is why I called bullshit on some of the defenses.

"Wanted to ensure they never made any more."
"Made sure it wasn't ruined by someone else."
And it's like, why were we pretending giving it to someone the directors like was some impossible task.
If none of the main cast are returning, and this is a new story in the Matrix, it still would make sense.

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
It still has the potential to be a big IP, and I imagine WB wants to leverage that instead of what they got with Resurrections.

Co-signing this. There's also still a weirdness surrounding pandemic-era big blockbuster movies: would it have done better if it had a full theatrical run and *then* streaming? How were streaming numbers? How long did people watch?

Matrix is big enough that unless the answers to all of those were really bad, Warner probably wants another stab at it. Giving it to fresh talent and seeing what they can do, with Wachowski blessing, could potentially open the doors for them to do even more without direct Wachowski involvement as well- so if this hits it's a bigger win for them than just one movie.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
A reboot I imagine will be the idea here (Or a setting/cast with no relation to Neo).

Since the Wachowski's are giving it their blessing, and I can't imagine they'd be doing so for something that undermines Resurrection.
Would also be the best foot forward as a reboot would probably offer more of what the people let down by Resurrection want.

It should literally be called The Matrix Rebooted

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the financial disappointment the last one was, Drew's pitch must've been too good to pass up on. He came to WB with his idea which gives me some optimism.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Every Matrix film (live action and animated!) is great. I never need more but I'll take more.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what narrative metaphor they'll use for beating a dead horse

Honestly at this point the only new Matrix movies that would be worth making are side stories that take place during the original trilogy, ala extended versions of the types of stories we saw in the Animatrix

Anything else will 99% be garbage

Can't be worse than the last one, so sure why not.

Looking forward to something new.
Why not?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The Matrix was foundational for me when I saw it as a teen. I've revisited it more than once recently and I think it's only gotten more prescient over time. I feel similarly about the sequels including the 4th which people seem to dislike. Although I acknowledge they have their flaws I think thematically there's some really neat things going on there. The 4th might have been one of my favorite movies of the year when it came out.

So I'm saying, even with that background…the 4th was the place to stop this. If it's a reboot as I assume it is I'm less turned i off but even with all that…let this one go man. Or at least make it a tv show/miniseries instead if we want to go the reboot route.

"Everything that has a beginning has an end."

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Actually excited to hear this.

I know Resurrections wasn't everyone's cup of tea (Definitely wasn't mine), but the universe has SO much potential. Anyone who has watched The Animatrix knows just how much untapped stories there are in there.

jjdirazn9iq91.gif
For REAL. My hope (as much as I love all 4) is that they don't include any of the original characters or rely on the films. That universe has so many awesome directions it could go that at this point seeing the old crew back again would just bog it down.