• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
www.raspberrypi.org

8GB Raspberry Pi 4 on sale now at $75 - Raspberry Pi

A new 8GB RAM variant of Raspberry Pi 4 is available today, priced at just $75. Visit your favourite Raspberry Pi Approved Reseller to get yours.

The 8GB Pi 4 which was rumored a while ago is now out at $75

Raspbian has now been rebranded as Raspberry Pi OS and some new accessibility and convenience features have been added.
www.youtube.com

NEW Raspberry Pi OS update (May 2020)

Find the new Raspberry Pi OS (previously Raspbian) image at http://rptl.io/raspberrypios or follow the instructions at the end of the video to update from yo...

A beta version of the 64 bit Raspberry Pi OS has been released (up until now it was 32 bit and 64 bit was in Alpha)

A 64 bit OS opens up the potential for native support for a large number of apps. 2 of which I'm most excited for are Dolphin (don't expect full speed in anything but the least demanding games) and Open Morrowind (which I've succesfully run on a pi4 in Gentoo).

Also Vulkan News is coming real soon
4SfRYlv.png

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I have a Pi 4 sitting in a drawer. I'll find a use for it at some point, haha. I like the name change for the OS; never liked "Rasbian".

Now my idle Pi seems even more inadequate. Not only does it have the USB power that isn't standard compliant, but now there are Pis out there with more ram!

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Raspberry Pi continues impressing me. I don't own one yet, but I'm thinking this summer I'm gonna put together a little emulation box. I know 8 GB is massive overkill for emulation, so I probably won't get it, but I do like the idea of a <$100 computer that can fit in my pocket that's more powerful than a big expensive computer I owned 10 years ago.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Thinking of picking this up if my pi from years ago isn't fast enough for my upcoming project.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
8GB seems a little overkill for emulation but that 64bit Raspberry Pi OS... nice.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think any of my uses justify the upgrade from 4 to 8GB, but it's really cool to see. Excited about the 64bit support and vulkan for sure.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm can someone show me what I can emulate with this?

Also educate me cause I dont know a thing about these things tbh. I wanna rip my gc games and play soon and this seems like a potentially cheap option to play em.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Hmmm can someone show me what I can emulate with this?

Also educate me cause I dont know a thing about these things tbh. I wanna rip my gc games and play soon and this seems like a potentially cheap option to play em.

8GB isn't going to emulate anything the 4GB or even 2GB couldn't.

3D wise you're looking at Dreamcast, PS1, (some)N64, and (some)PSP

2D everything but Saturn

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
I bought 3 Raspberry Pi's over the years and I haven't found them that useful. The only one that gets used every now and then is the one I have configured as a Retro Pi, but the others didn't work out for the needs I had. I wanted to do embedded development in one, and there's way too many things missing because of the ARM architecture. Perhaps in 5 yeas time, these will be ready for primetime if the support is there.

Machado

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 26, 2017
Total noob question, may I install an os and use it with a monitor as a desktop PC? If so, would performance be ok? I'm only looking to use it for web browsing (YouTube, era, stuff like that) and maybe use Microsoft office programs

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
Total noob question, may I install an os and use it with a monitor as a desktop PC? If so, would performance be ok? I'm only looking to use it for web browsing (YouTube, era, stuff like that) and maybe use Microsoft office programs
Yes. A Pi would be slower than what you are used to, but still reasonably fast for your use cases. You will not be able to use Microsoft applications since you are running on Linux compiled for ARM without support for native Wine.

Machado

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. A Pi would be slower than what you are used to, but still reasonably fast for your use cases. You will not be able to use Microsoft applications since you are running on Linux compiled for ARM without support for native Wine.
Thanks. Was hoping to be able to use windows but I guess Linux will have to do... All I need to do is wait for it to be live on Amazon (I can only get one from Amazon).
Again, thank you for your help

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

I used a pi as my primary desktop for probably close to 6 months between a 3B and then upgrading to the 4. I switched to a cheap windows PC only because I wanted to play a few specific games and use Dolphin.

Word processing it has Libre Office (and yes it'll open office documents) but no Microsoft stuff.

Chromium runs great for any and all web browsing as long as you keep that adblocker on. Youtube is good as long as you limit it to 720p 1080p playback is choppy (IIRC you can set that limit from the settings page). It also supports up to a 4K monitor and dual displays (although runs a bit better at 1080p)

Also you can't use Windows on it (ok "can't" is a strong word there is a port of Windows on ARM but it currently lacks GPU acceleration and is unusable slow)

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, this thing is getting to the power level where I'd rather have it in my bartop arcade than a sff PC.

A little more 3D strength and it's there.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Every time RPi updates with something new and potentially exciting it's somehow after other things have been announced that are newer and more exciting. My last pi is now being used as part of my barbecue temp controller and I've yet to buy another. We keep getting further away than its original intent, yet don't add the things that could potentially matter like SATA ports or m.2 slots. I know there are add-on boards using the IO pins that can do at least the m.2, but that's just another cost anyway.

Like this

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Every time RPi updates with something new and potentially exciting it's somehow after other things have been announced that are newer and more exciting. My last pi is now being used as part of my barbecue temp controller and I've yet to buy another. We keep getting further away than its original intent, yet don't add the things that could potentially matter like SATA ports or m.2 slots. I know there are add-on boards using the IO pins that can do at least the m.2, but that's just another cost anyway.

Like this

Problem is those things cost about 20x the price of the Pi. I actually contacted the maker of the CAPA13R after being impressed by the specs and they *start* at $600 and then go up for more ports/RAM/CPU.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Problem is those things cost about 20x the price of the Pi. I actually contacted the maker of the CAPA13R after being impressed by the specs and they *start* at $600 and then go up for more ports/RAM/CPU.
Not all, this is just an example. Considering the normal RPi is $35, this 8GB version is $75. Making use of that RAM might be difficult until they get that Vulkan layer going, but the boards that exist with similar specs but benchmark better and offer more features like SATA, barrel-jack for power or just more/faster RAM and onboard storage, they not always that expensive. At the price you're talking about getting a NUC would be better for the cost and more flexible with a negligible change in footprint.

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
Neat!

I wonder if you could network boot straight into RAM and skip any storage media?

Machado

Oct 26, 2017
No Amazon link yet? I checked but didn't see any

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Not all, this is just an example. Considering the normal RPi is $35, this 8GB version is $75. Making use of that RAM might be difficult until they get that Vulkan layer going, but the boards that exist with similar specs but benchmark better and offer more features like SATA, barrel-jack for power or just more/faster RAM and onboard storage, they not always that expensive. At the price you're talking about getting a NUC would be better for the cost and more flexible with a negligible change in footprint.

The boards I'm thinking of that outperform the pi 4 in benchmarks all range from slightly to considerably more expensive. Also a lot of similar boards actually fall behind the pi in general usage even when they have better benches. Things like web browsing, OS responsiveness, boot speed, etc because they just don't have the same level of support and constant optimizations. Pi 4 uses LPDDR4 RAM and a pretty decent clock so there's not a lot that has a significantly faster ram setup and now that we have an 8GB model I can't think of an SBC that has *more* RAM.

I would be comfortable recommending the Jetson Nano as a clear all around upgrade in a similar price range to the 8GB Pi (it also supports Pi libraries for a lot of addons!) that's mainly the GPU that's a big upgrade (and hoo boy is it an upgrade). Jetson Xavier should also be an upgrade but there's a big price jump and I'm waiting for a few people to get their hands on that and test it for general non-ai and development usage before I say for sure.

I can also think Lattepanda alpha but that's also a big price jump.

Machado

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much yeah. Unless there are other reliable online sellers that take Amazon gift card money or PayPal.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I have a 4 that's been controlling my home's heating/AC and tying it into Google Nest that's been completely rock solid. Not sure what the longest uptime I've had on it (cause it's not on battery backup) but since I set it up I haven't needed to reboot it manually or troubleshoot it once.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to add this to my collection of tiny computers in my tech drawer!

(Well, this would kick the pi3 out of my Picade, but I've still got a beowulf cluster of dust gatherers.)

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Raspberry Pi and excited to see the new stuff coming out. Running two 3B+ models and Zero W for all kinds of things: PiHole (ad filtering, DreamPi (gets the Dreamcast online via 56k), Wireless AP controller, Bitwarden server, WeeWx (weather station reporting), Volumio (music server). The shit is awesome.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Anyone know where I can buy Famicom and Mega drive cases for this if I wanted to make my own emulator? It's a project I've been meaning to get into. If not actual cases then 3D files so I can print my own, the ones I found are poor quality to be honest.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know where I can buy Famicom and Mega drive cases for this if I wanted to make my own emulator? It's a project I've been meaning to get into. If not actual cases then 3D files so I can print my own, the ones I found are poor quality to be honest.

I'd check Amazon. There were a bunch of cases for the Pi 3B+ that looked like old consoles

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Perfect timing. I've been recently getting into reading up on Rasberry Pis.

Would be good to replace my Chromecast with one.