• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/theso...e/news-story/cbd539ea4f7b76024f515681177df26d

5a3b02fcd4cdf01d97c16d555451d59c

A-4.jpg

NEW Asian-themed gastropub Hotel Longtime has sparked a social media storm and online petition to have its name changed, after some claimed it references the Stanley Kubrick film Full Metal Jacket in which a Vietnamese prostitute solicits US soldiers using the phrase, "Me love you long time".

Vietnamese-born Tin Chu, who owns Longtime with husband Alex Fahey, said she was "surprised and disappointed that people are attributing to us motives which were never intended and which we absolutely do not believe".

"It is worth remembering that I am a director of this licensee company and I am a proud Asian woman who has worked hard to build my business," she added.

"There is nothing in our name which is in any way intended to insult or offend women. If anyone has felt that, then we humbly apologise — but again, it was never our intention.

"Any such association is in the mind of our critics, it was not in our minds."

In addition to the Longtime name, the duo, who also own and run city diner Vietnamese Laundry, have called the hotel's front bar the Ping Pong Club Room — which some claim references Southeast Asia's ping pong sex shows. It's a claim Mr Fahey strongly denies.

"It's meant to be like a clubroom — like a football clubroom — where you go and have a drink after playing ping pong," he said. "It's nothing to do with the Thailand ping pong shows."

One Facebook post called on the owners to "rethink those names before it's too late", another stated: "This is outrageous! You called your venue Longtime (a clear reference to the Asian prostitute in Full Metal Jacket) and you have Ping Pong bar with a madame? Seriously!?"

The Change.org petition, titled 'Get Hotel Longtime to change its derogatory name & remove prostitution references', had attracted 435 signatures as of 4pm on Friday.

On the page, Adelaide-born creator Alice Whittington wrote: "Their opening party poster read, "The Madame is waiting", with the image of an older Asian woman — a reference to a brothel madame. How this ever was considered a good idea, or how it was approved in planning stages, is beyond me."

But Mr Fahey said his project was never about portraying a brothel. "There are plenty of restaurants that portray a madame," he said. "Pretty much most Asian-fusion restaurants have a madame. They all have that large scale artwork — Madame Hanoi, Mrs Q, Mamasan in Bali, it's a pretty standard thing.

"This is quite stressful for us. We've put a lot of hard work into this place and we just wanted to create something that Adelaide is going to appreciate and is different. Nobody who has come in has been offended by it. People are just trying to cut us down over something that we haven't done."

The Hotel Longtime name? Just a coincidence.
The Ping Pong Club room? Just a coincidence.
The "Madame is waiting" slogan at the opening party? Just a coincidence.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're Asian and you run an Asian business and want to play on Asian stereotypes and gimmicks, it ain't really racist.

Lot's of Chinese and Mexican places that I've seen do it, not really new.

Getting offended by proxy is an odd behavior.

Hardhat

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Yeah this really isn't anything offensive. It's like people automatically assume the worst intentions without considering the alternative.

OP
OP
Saya

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
If you're Asian and you run an Asian business and want to play on Asian stereotypes and gimmicks, it ain't really racist.

Lot's of Chinese and Mexican places that I've seen do it, not really new.

Getting offended by proxy is an odd behavior.

These racist and misogynistic ugly stereotypes about Asian women are offensive and hurtful to many people. It doesn't matter if the owner is Asian or not. You can still be racist.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
White people getting offended at an Asian choosing to play on Asian stereotypes is what's actually wrong here.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These racist and misogynistic ugly stereotypes about Asian women are offensive and hurtful to many people. It doesn't matter if the owner is Asian or not. You can still be racist.
But where do you draw the line on what is and isn't? Is there a group of Asian people getting offended, or is it a bunch of white people being uncomfortable?

If me opening up a Romanian restaurant, plastering Dracula everywhere, playing nonstop Dragostea Din Tei and calling it "Watch your wallet" offends you, you're just gonna have to deal with it.
I have the right to own my stereotypes, you don't get to take them away from me.

Last edited:

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
But where do you draw the line on what is and isn't? Is there a group of Asian people getting offended, or is it a bunch of white people being uncomfortable?

If me opening up a Romanian restaurant, plastering Dracula everywhere, playing nonstop Dragostea Din Tei and calling it "Watch your wallet" offends you, you're just gonna have to deal with it.

I'm inclined to agree. If I opened an Indian restaurant with a convenience store/taxi theme, that's me lampshading the stereotype and owning it, and uncomfortable white people don't get to tell me I'm being racist. Sorry!

OP
OP
Saya

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

I have the right to own my stereotypes, you don't get to take them away from me.

Dracula is fictional. The sources of many of these ugly stereotypes can be traced back to the real sexual exploitation of women during the Vietnam war. Many Asian women are still abused and harassed using these stereotypes. It hurts stereotyping.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
From the city that brought you the club GoGo Ladyboy!

It raises the question, if it's not a reference to the memetic racist phrase what is the meaning of the name?

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Dracula is fictional. The sources of many of these ugly stereotypes can be traced back to the real sexual exploitation of women during the Vietnam war. Many Asian women are still abused and harassed using these stereotypes. It hurts stereotyping.

Unless you are a Vietnamese woman, you're not really in a position to tell an actual Vietnamese woman how she should or shouldn't play on her own stereotypes.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Hahaha now i want to go to your restaurant. "Watch your Wallet"...Am I a racist? :(

On Topic
If this is a legit coincidence thats incredible.....otherwise i dont think its that big a deal
Isnt prostitution legal in Australia anyway?
Why are the "alleged" prostitution references offending people so much?

I'm inclined to agree. If I opened an Indian restaurant with a convenience store/taxi theme, that's me lampshading the stereotype and owning it, and uncomfortable white people don't get to tell me I'm being racist. Sorry!

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is this one of those stories where more people are talking about this than there were actual offended people.

Half the time I feel like I'm being duped by sneaky publicity and cheap journalism.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
This was my original thread and for 3 coincidence to appear simply deny giving them the benefit of the doubt.

There is a bunch of asian women offended in twitter, is that good enough for you?

Or do you as a white person along with many others here want to take their right to be offended?

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
I'd agree with the "she's owning the stereotype" thing 100% if she was... doing that. Instead she's saying "No no, it's about this!"

Like if I was going to own a stereotype and make my whole business theme about owning it, wouldn't I be saying that when asked? Are there any other interviews where she's actually saying "this is me making fun of stereotypes"?

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Can we not act like 'it's not racist/offensive because I'm of the group' is legit because Uncle Tom's are not exclusive to black people.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I'm just amused about how she tries to deny the obvious connections. You can get away with Longtime, I wouldn't have thought of that either despite having watched the movie, but Ping Pong Club room - yeah, sorry lady, you're not fooling me lol

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

She has a white partner, so this is very applicable. White guys love to objectify Asian women.

Edit: Heh, Australian bro. I wish I had a dollar for every Australian or British guy I met in Asian in the last ten years who said something like "Yeah I got the yellow fever, m8."

So fucking cringy.

Last edited:

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty distasteful and blatantly obvious but I doubt they're going to be crying about the amount of free advertising their businesses get out of it.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She has a white partner, so this is very applicable. White guys love to objectify Asian women.

Edit: Heh, Australian bro. I wish I had a dollar for every Australian or British guy I met in Asian in the last ten years who said something like "Yeah I got the yellow fever, m8."

So fucking cringy.
Article pretty clearly states he's her husband. Seems unfair to attach these ideas to him just on the basis of him being white alone.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd agree with the "she's owning the stereotype" thing 100% if she was... doing that. Instead she's saying "No no, it's about this!"

Like if I was going to own a stereotype and make my whole business theme about owning it, wouldn't I be saying that when asked? Are there any other interviews where she's actually saying "this is me making fun of stereotypes"?
Yeah this is my problem. They are very obviously playing off the stereotype, but when pressed they don't own up to it?
Something doesn't add up here

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
LOL this is a pretty far cry from naming your place Golden Twin Panda Dragon Garden

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Just curious how many Asian people need to be offended by this in order to make it OK for there to be offence? Is there an official number? Is it like, a thousand? Two thousand? Was this established during the furore about the name of the Washington Redskins, and a common defence was "But how many Native Americans are really offended though???" It'd be handy to know for the future.

If they want to try and trade off of this shit, that's for them to decide. They can also deal with the consequences of it, positive or negative. Telling people not to be offended until this non-existent magic number of Asian people is reached...well, it doesn't look great.

lionhats

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): History of trolling and antagonistic behaviour, 8 infractions accumulated over a short period of time.
Reminds me of the Sum Yung Gai restaurant.

OP's entire post history is him trying to tell people theyre racist and being a passive agressive douchebag. Funny how he preaches on about things being hateful and offensive when all he posts is things trying to stir up hatred and discourse. Theres quite an overwhelming number of people like that it seems here, people who will take any opportunity to act like an asshole, as long as it comes from a place of anti-racism etc, they see it as right. fucking lol

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria

So fucking cringy.
It seems really disrespectful to apply these stereotypes to their relationship. Towards both of them.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Just curious how many Asian people need to be offended by this in order to make it OK for there to be offence? Is there an official number? Is it like, a thousand? Two thousand? Was this established during the furore about the name of the Washington Redskins, and a common defence was "But how many Native Americans are really offended though???" It'd be handy to know for the future.

If they want to try and trade off of this shit, that's for them to decide. They can also deal with the consequences of it, positive or negative. Telling people not to be offended until this non-existent magic number of Asian people is reached...well, it doesn't look great.

Not even close to the same thing. I don't think there would be even a fraction of the outrage over the redskins name if it was actual Native American's owning and profitng off the name and image. Whats awful is that its a bunch of racist white rich guys making money off a shadow of a culture and image that they don't even respect.

Not a good comparison

Last edited:

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So apparently according to the "brogressives" at era you can say racist things at long as you belong to that race.... nice argument; i guess Ben Carson must be your idol

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Outrage" from even a few hundred people is barely a blip. Especially if the bulk of it is from people online who were never your customer base to begin with. Ignore the whiners and continue on with your business. Once they don't see you react, they'll move on to something new.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
Yeah this is my problem. They are very obviously playing off the stereotype, but when pressed they don't own up to it?
Something doesn't add up here

That's what I wasn't getting :( People here were plugging in the "owning stereotype" thing, but I couldn't actually find anything akin to that in the article. Maybe those bits were edited out, but I dunno.

I'm white as a ghost, so I mean... that's as far as I feel like I can contribute to this thing.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So apparently according to the "brogressives" at era you can say racist things at long as you belong to that race.... nice argument; i guess Ben Carson must be your idol
It's similar to how women can call themselves bitch to each other in a playful manner but it comes off differently from a man. This same logic applies to black people, Latino, Asians, etc.
This situation is a similar example. Because the person using the stereotypes can have these same stereotypes applied to then the context for the use is different. It /could/ be coming from a racist mindset, or it couldn't.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can we not act like 'it's not racist/offensive because I'm of the group' is legit because Uncle Tom's are not exclusive to black people.

Being an "Uncle Tom" isn't the same thing as being racist.

So do you think you have the right to dictate to a Vietnamese Woman how she feels about something? What gives you the right to dictate to a woman how she should feel about something?

Gonna say she's "internalized her racism" aka, call her stupid because she might not share your high minded "principles"?

Keep that patriarchal and sexist stuff to yourself.

It's similar to how women can call themselves bitch to each other in a playful manner but it comes off differently from a man. This same logic applies to black people, Latino, Asians, etc.

This situation is a similar example. Because the person using the stereotypes can have these same stereotypes applied to then the context for the use is different. It /could/ be coming from a racist mindset, or it couldn't.

Would this person also lecture a black man about using the word "nigga"? No, they wouldn't, because Asian women aren't as intimidating.

Can we stop giving stories like this attention here?

How else are sanctimonious white folk gonna make themselves feel better?

From the article:

Facebook user Frank Merritt wrote, "Shocked at the name! How can you not see how offensive it is?" while Peter Parker wrote, "This is the probably almost the perfect definition of cultural appropriation. Hotel Longtime's branding is relying/banking on a 40 year old stereotype ... of Asians prostituting themselves to American soldiers."

White dudes tryin to get them social points, accusing a Vietnamese Woman of appropriating their own culture.

whiteliberalsloganeering.txt

Last edited:

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017

So fucking cringy.
It's hard to say just how insanely fucked up it is to allege that a stranger's relationship with her partner (apparently her husband) is based on objectification and "yellow fever".