• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Famitsu has revealed that Estelle, Joshua and Renne, from the Trails in the Sky serie are returning for the final episode of the Erebonian saga, which is trails of cold steel 4! The game will come out on september 27, 2018!

Dh0BdP1W0AA9Ays.jpg

Dh0Bd8lW4AE_TfN.jpg

Dh0BeVVW0AAMcDr.jpg

Dh0BeoXX4AACxq3.jpg

I'm so happy that Estelle is finally back! I like her new design! That was the only thing i allowed myself to be spoiled on! I'll leave that there cause i don't want any other spoilers, feel free to discuss!

Dh0SxmzXcAA9ZCx.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It's great to see them bought back in full 3d. I love the characters of Trails in the Sky. I really appreciate that Falcom is bringing almost everyone back for Sen 4. I just want Schera, Kevin and Ries back too

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Falcom is the only dev that can still get me hyped for games I won't be able to play for like 2-3 years, I swear.

Oh god, Kevin and Ries might be in this, too. Oh god.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Please be a joke!

Also they seriously aren't going to localize this before the crossbell games are they?
Well, Ys VIII sold way more than any other XSEED Falcom game, so...
Also, no, they won't do Crossbell games. I mean, Cold Steel 2 spoils them pretty much completely, and that didn't stop anyone from releasing it first.
Fans might give you them in a few years

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Ys VIII sold way more than any other XSEED Falcom game, so...
Also, no, they won't do Crossbell games. I mean, Cold Steel 2 spoils them pretty much completely, and that didn't stop anyone from releasing it first.
Fans might give you them in a few years

Cold Steel 2 barely spoils Crossbell. The stuff they mention is fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Damn, I love connected worlds so much. This is truly an epic that I've deemed a gaming bucket-list endeavor for myself.

Must. Have. Patience.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
I am not looking forward to the inevitable NISA betrayalthon from Falcom.

But they like money and could care less about the American fanbase, so. . .

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, how many playable characters are there in this series? Is it like a WRPG where you can pick from a variety of different characters to permanently in your party, or are they glorified guest characters?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Renne was already shown quite some time ago, so Estelle and Joshua were more or less inevitable.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, how many playable characters are there in this series? Is it like a WRPG where you can pick from a variety of different characters to permanently in your party, or are they glorified guest characters?
It varies by game and by chapter within said games.

In the first "Trails in the Sky" game, for example, you have a set party with two required characters and two slots that are occupied by guest characters that come and go, but in the final chapter you can put any previous character in those two slots. In the second game you can choose one character to accompany you for the first half or so of the game, and the other shows back up later on. You also have options on certain characters that can be swapped out, while others are required, but the full cast won't be available at once until near the end. The third game gives you a ton of characters (a full dozen if I remember correctly) with certain parts requiring certain characters, and other parts with full party building freedom.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guest characters. You usually get a core playable cast (that can get up to a dozen chars) and in certain the story, other characters will join you for a chapter or two.

Considering there were 9 games before this one, there's a wealth of characters to tap into, with their own arcs and all.

Edit: my favorite part is NPCs. Some NPCs from older games will show up in different parts of the world, or you'll meet relatives of past NPCs.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I'm just confused as to why there hasn't been a single trailer for this game when it's coming out in 2 months
I had the mind that this was more of an "in the know" type game. It is the conclusion of a long-running arc in an even bigger series that closes( and probably still opens) more plot points to be tackled later. It all connects. The people that should know about it are the ones that have already played the previous ones.

I'd think any trailer would be very spoilerific.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
There's a screenshot with her bottom half.

And also this week's Famitsu talks about a certain familiar brown-skinned Bracer making a return etc.

It's all but confirmed.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, these character reveals make me hope even bloody harder that NISA doesn't get their hands on this IP.

Don't ruin Trails: Infinity War, k thx bye NISA.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
While it's amazing to have these characters back, I really wish Falcom would step up their character models :(

They're a tiny company of 49 pumping out massive games, but blah... I feel bad for feeling the way I do :P

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They all look so good!

While it's amazing to have these characters back, I really wish Falcom would step up their character models :(

They're a tiny company of 49 pumping out massive games, but blah... I feel bad for feeling the way I do :P
They're massive in all but budget. There's only so much you can do with 49 people.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

49 includes non devs so people in HR and finance and the like it's not 49 devs.

The models are totally fine(they're sharp, I don't see any polygonal lack of fidelity for what they're shooting for) what Falcom needs is a really good technical artists that can maybe rework certain shaders that would do a lot.

Their biggest hurdle in general right now though are animations. For the ambition they have a lot of their scenes cannot match it in the movement department. But animation is also time intensive and expensive. DQ11 had an animation department of around 70+ people for comparison to achieve that super high class level for a game of that volume.

OP
OP
Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
49 includes non devs so people in HR and finance and the like it's not 49 devs.

The models are totally fine(they're sharp, I don't see any polygonal lack of fidelity for what they're shooting for) what Falcom needs is a really good technical artists that can maybe rework certain shaders that would do a lot.

Their biggest hurdle in general right now though are animations. For the ambition they have a lot of their scenes cannot match it in the movement department. But animation is also time intensive and expensive. DQ11 had an animation department of around 70+ people for comparison to achieve that super high class level for a game of that volume.

Honestly i don't mind about the graphics but i would like that they have better performances in their games at least... How was cold steel 3 on ps4? Cause seing cold steel 1 and 2 on ps3 have huge framerate dips in some city regardless of the graphic quality was really bad.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly i don't mind about the graphics but i would like that they have better performances in their games at least... How was cold steel 3 on ps4? Cause seing cold steel 1 and 2 on ps3 have huge framerate dips in some city regardless of the graphic quality was really bad.
Largely fine. There are frame drops(not anywhere near as bad as cs1 festival but noticable) in like 2 open field areas I think but outside of that I didn't have problems. Worlds of difference for someone that endured CS1/2 vita cause portability was so important for me. You could argue it still shouldn't happen but *shrug*.

Outside of that mostly everything is smooth. The revamped combat interface taking UI cues from persona was super good. I think another really small loading lag thing is when you mess around a lot of predefined orbment setups and load them on the fly that can take 1 more second than what would feel natural. But yeah really the biggest boon is not having very noticeable into combat mode load like in cold steel vita the load into combat was like 2-3 seconds?

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Normally I avoid spoilers like the plague, but this got retweeted by someone I follow on Twitter and... yeah. So now I know, and I'm HYPED. Estelle is easily one of my favorite protags of all-time. Awesome to see her get the full 3D treatment.

I have the import copy of III sitting here barely touched, but I keep hoping against hope that it will get localized. So I wait.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Suspected Estelle and Joshua would appear. But man, adult Estelle and Joshua... How old they are now? Early 20s I guess.

I bet Cassius will appear too.

Dh0BeVVW0AAMcDr.jpg

Josette is that you? o_O

Renne looks like she's ready to kill someone.

Jossette too? Nice!

Now we only need Kevin and Ries and all protagonists will appear in the same game.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear to you I knew that I was going to get at least one female character in a short skirt and thigh highs and of course I was right PLUS another one in a short skirt and sporting one of those sexy but outdated bands on her leg that are used UNDER skirts and not exposed like that.

Yes Estelle was a great protagonist (at least in TitS1 she was I didn't play the sequels) but here she looks like every other female character in modern jrpgs. This genre has become incredibly derivative.

OP
OP
Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I swear to you I knew that I was going to get at least one female character in a short skirt and thigh highs and of course I was right PLUS another one in a short skirt and sporting one of those sexy but outdated bands on her leg that are used UNDER skirts and not exposed like that.

Yes Estelle was a great protagonist (at least in TitS1 she was I didn't play the sequels) but here she looks like every other female character in modern jrpgs. This genre has become incredibly derivative.

do you plan to play TitS SC? she's even better in this one

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do you plan to play TitS SC? she's even better in this one
I don't own a gaming PC and I don't have the will to sit through a 90 hour PSP game in 2018.

TitS1 was good but it wasn't mindblowing but one thing it was not it's derivative and anime trope filled to the brim. Because those things and more are Trails of Cold Steel down to the teens in a variety of bust sizes and sock lengths (that's where diversity lies in these games) in an academy setting wearing sexy uniforms.