Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Today, there were rumors around a new Doom game. Tom Warren from The Verge said something on X and people took that to the bank.

Tom-Warren-Doom-Hint.jpg

Now a new trademark has come up which is possibly linked to the next Doom game. The trademark titled "IDKFA" is for a video game and is filed by ZeniMax in the United States.

If you're not aware, "IDKFA" is a cheat code used in the classic Doom series.

fGlBPyC.jpeg

Some Background

It is already confirmed that a new Doom is in development so this trademark shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. In fact, the game has been leaked multiple times. Its official title is believed to be "Doom Year Zero" which makes me thing this trademark, if it is Doom related, could be for the game's DLC (or the title changed?); I'm just speculating here.

Doom-Year-Zero.jpg

clawsomegamer.com

New Doom Game Possibly Trademarked In The US

New Doom game is possibly trademarked in the US. More details are expected in June at the Xbox Showcase.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be surprised. The Eternal expansions seemed rushed storywise. Like it was originally planned to be a trilogy and then wrapped up in the expansion.

I'd still gladly take it.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The fact that they use "year zero" and IDKFA makes you think this is some sort of origin story/throwback or prequel. We'll see, would have preferred Quake.

Also RIP Ghostwire sequel.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
DOOM should have been put to sleep for a while and they should have rebooted Quake instead.

Pretty sure the last game had a closed ending. My boy Ranger deserved another go 😭

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
It's sad they know we forget all the shit a company does with just revealing new games.

I feel dirty.

FIGHT ME PHIL SPENCER

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Can't wait for the logo announcement for the game that years away, released just to combat negative PR around the brand.
I highly doubt that this wasn't already planned before the recent news. Also, it's been four years since Eternal. A new Doom is probably no more than 2 years away, which is a perfectly reasonable announcement to release timeframe.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda expected Doom Year Zero to be a Boomer Shooter, or something like Sonic Mania for Doom, but maybe it's just the next mainline Doom game.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Year Zero suggests it's some kind of prequel? Haven't finished Eternal because of all the platforming bull***t.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
It might not be Year Zero. That document is from years ago, and we've already seen at least one of those projects turn out not to be actually happening.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Oh, I'll take that. Should be ways out since they are working on Indiana Jones but I guess they could be in pre-production unless they have multiple teams over there.
Yeah, I think Quake is a co-production between MachineGames and id, with Indy being MG's primary project and DOOM being id's (although I'm sure the Indy team will move onto Quake afterwards).

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I hope it's a little more moody and serious this time like 2016 and less arcadey like Eternal.

That being said, I'd love a PS5 Pro patch for Eternal with RT and all the goodies cranked up at 120 fps.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I hope it embraces the arcadey nature of Eternal and cranks it up instead of cutting back to something more moody and serious like 2016

May 25, 2019
London
Part of me thinks this is them doing the Quake 1/2 Remaster treatment to Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and maybe even Doom 3 in a big collection. The use of IDKFA in the trademark and "Year Zero" being the name in those leaked XBox materials from last year make me suspicious

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Part of me thinks this is them doing the Quake 1/2 Remaster treatment to Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and maybe even Doom 3 in a big collection. The use of IDKFA in the trademark and "Year Zero" being the name in those leaked XBox materials from last year make me suspicious
The classic DOOMS are already on current platforms though.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
It hasn't been announced. Just an indirect reference in an old direct. I don't even have confidence some of these studios are safe at this point.
I get that, but do you think they would have taken the time to write Quake 6 on a whiteboard and show the whiteboard in a public-facing Developer Direct if it wasn't happening?

Also, it wasn't an old Direct. It was from January this year.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping whatever the new Doom is, it scales things back a bit. Doom 2016 was fantastic but I would like something even closer to OG Doom.