Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I thought Eternal made the combat loop too one-note, since you always had to follow the precise order to kill the enemies and the story and tone was markedly worse than 2016. I hope they go back to that less-is-more philosophy. Doom Guy shouldn't be kneeling to anyone.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
GCcuU9-WgAApUDL.jpg

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
While DOOM and DOOM Eternal are both amazing, I would have loved their next game be a new Quake going back to the roots with freaky cosmic horror. Either way, I'm there day 1.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Directly into my veins.

Nothing hits quite like DOOM.

Siden

Apr 27, 2023
Doom 2016 was good, Eternal totally not my thing. So I'm selfish and wish for a more traditional game again.

Same. 100% will not purchase if it's anything like Eternal. 2016 was a game everyone could play, Eternal was some weird ass rhythm game for specific people who enjoy that

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
All the Year Zero and old school references makes it sound like a retro throw-back style?

Really hope it's not another bloated "character action" FPS.

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
I have no doubt id is cooking, but I'm hoping for something different compared to previous two.

I get that, but do you think they would have taken the time to write Quake 6 on a whiteboard and show the whiteboard in a public-facing Developer Direct if it wasn't happening?

Also, it wasn't an old Direct. It was from January this year.
It was there for a good reason. Question is how far out is it.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed for a return to 2016's less is more approach to... well... everything. Eternal was very good but it just had a bit too much going on imo. The story and lore in particular just threw too much at the player out of nowhere with zero frame of reference. Genuinely felt like going from the first part of a trilogy to the third part.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
gameplay wise I want them to either double down on Eternal or shoot for something completely new and different

tone-wise the peak of the series is 2016… and 3 😎 something closer to the former is probably ideal, though I'd go nuts for another horror-focused entry (as unlikely as that is)

Nov 8, 2017
I get that, but do you think they would have taken the time to write Quake 6 on a whiteboard and show the whiteboard in a public-facing Developer Direct if it wasn't happening?

The counterpoint is that if they were making a new Quake why would it be 6 instead of 5? My assumption here is that it's just a joke.

In the past they have (at BE3 2016) alluded to acronyms or code names for future games but I don't think they're making Quake right now, and if they are it's super duper early just as a matter of practicality. They're not a major studio, headcount wise, so it's likely Jones has taken up the vast majority of their bandwidth and support on other games would account for basically the rest.

I believe there were a few years in 2018/2019 where they might have been prototyping Wolf 3 but I suspect that's all gone down the toilet in the years since. I used to hold a candle to that game but when we saw Indy was nearly done, that recontextualized a lot of their schedule for me.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
The counterpoint is that if they were making a new Quake why would it be 6 instead of 5? My assumption here is that it's just a joke.

In the past they have (at BE3 2016) alluded to acronyms or code names for future games but I don't think they're making Quake right now, and if they are it's super duper early just as a matter of practicality. They're not a major studio, headcount wise, so it's likely Jones has taken up the vast majority of their bandwidth and support on other games would account for basically the rest.

I believe there were a few years in 2018/2019 where they might have been prototyping Wolf 3 but I suspect that's all gone down the toilet in the years since. I used to hold a candle to that game but when we saw Indy was nearly done, that recontextualized a lot of their schedule for me.
If it's a joke it's a pretty cruel one lol they knew what they were doing.

I acknowledge it's likely in early development (still optimistic for Wolf 3 one day).

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they find a middle ground between 2016 and Eternal. I enjoyed the overall Character-Action-Ification of Eternal, but it's bit over-systemic in terms of how much of the game is cooldown management. It gets a bit silly when the primary purpose of a flamethrower is just armour generation instead of... setting things on fire... while things like melee punches literally doing unless you've done 2 glory kills etc are also odd.

In general too it felt like a game designed around the entire arsenal's availability, and until you had everything it felt a bit too prescriptive in the optimal way to fight stuff.

The DLCs took it a step further with "stuff that must be killed with x weapon mod" too. Overall a lot of the game felt on UV like I was running in circles doing hit and runs rather than taking the fight directly to them. I never really got the design director's comments about wanting it to be a "thinking mans FPS" - ultimately it's so cooldown heavy and systemised that it felt more like a playable flowchart rather than needing to think and make real decisions.

I think ULTRAKILL is the gold standard for what Eternal was trying to achieve, doing so without so much cooldown management and encouraging "natural" frequent weapon switches. Eternal at its best can pip 2016 for intensity, but at its worst it's quite a bit below that baseline.

It also needs way, way more cohesive tone both writing wise and visually. Eternal felt like a real hodgepodge.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Having "Year Zero" as a subtitle I wonder if they will be going for a more pixelated look, like "Prodeus"?

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
I don't expect it to be soon, since both MG and id have other games to release first over the next couple of years. But it's definitely happening.
I feel like it doesn't make sense teasing it if it's far away. Platinum has to be something, and what else would it be since they teased Quake. We'll find out soon enough. At least there's something Quake cooking.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Also, it wasn't an old Direct. It was from January this year.

Is their Indiana Jones game is still happening? I've seen how Microsoft has valued its game studios recently. I don't want to have any expectations anymore.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at that chart, I feel like I was the only one who really liked Ghostwire Tokyo and will miss a potential sequel...

Anyways, the whole "Doom Year One" has me interested in how they tackle that.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I'll def buy a Series X if this ends up being exclusive to Xbox. Need to get one anyway so my kid can play MSFS 24.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you can tell just how much Quake Champions really set the world on fire if people are confused about why the next title would be Quake 6 lol

I feel id already had ideas for the third reboot Doom game, so I'm not surprised if we'll see Year Zero or whatever it became soon. Maybe next Quake could be from MachineGames or a collaborative effort between them and id?

WardFail

Banned
Jul 30, 2022
United States
Doom Eternals Marauder can continue to eat all the dicks inside my bag of holding. I'd really like id to focus swarms of gibbable meat sacks than platforming and the one-on-one style fight mechanics

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I remember the Doom Eternal's game director refering to Eternal as a "race car" and the new game as a "monster truck", whatever that means.
All those vids from the game director's playthrough of Eternal were a lot of fun.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the current situation at Bethesda, I hope this is going well. Wondering if it is a sequel or another reboot.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
I remember the Doom Eternal's game director refering to Eternal as a "race car" and the new game as a "monster truck", whatever that means.
All those vids from the game director's playthrough of Eternal were a lot of fun.

Race car goes down a track. Monster truck goes wherever it wants.

Open world Hell/ Argent incoming.