• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
FORNEY, Texas (WFAA) - Clothing with hoods, dresses, skirts and skorts now all banned for students in fifth grade and higher at a Texas school district.

It's part of a new dress code that officials say will help improve the learning environment, and it has one soon-to-be sophomore fighting back.

In a few weeks Brooklynn Hollaman will dig through her closet, looking for clothes to wear on her first day of 10th grade.

"We were allowed to wear dresses and skirts and skorts and everything like that," she said.

But this fall, the Forney high schooler will have to limit what she can put on.

Forney Independent School District is updating its dress code for the upcoming school year.

The district has a seven-page document with every detail, but the most notable changes include this: No clothing with hoods can be worn inside. That includes hoodies, jackets and coats.

Also dresses, skirts and skorts cannot be worn by fifth-graders or older. Pre-kindergarten through fourth-graders are still allowed to wear the latter.

"I even have a little sister that can't wear skirts anymore," Brooklynn said.

In a statement, Forney ISD writes the dress code is meant to "improve student self-esteem, bridge socio-economic differences among students, and promote positive behavior, thereby enhancing school safety and improving the learning environment."

"I think people should be able to wear them as long as they're appropriate," Brooklynn said.

Students like Brooklynn aren't OK with it. So she started a petition, already gathering thousands of signatures against the new dress code.

"She you know, a young lady should be able to choose what she wears. They shouldn't be forced to wear pants," said Derick Hollaman, Brooklynn's father.

Her parents said they fully support her. Derick Hollaman said he spoke to the district to find out why the code was changed.

"I was told that basically hoodies were a safety issue that kids wouldn't take the hoods off their head," he said. "When I asked regarding the dresses, I was told that they were trying to teach professionalism."

The Hollaman family said they disagree with the reasoning.

"I don't think adding this extra dress code is going to help the situation at all," said Amy Hollaman, Brooklynn's mother.

On Monday, Brooklynn said she hopes to appeal to the school board and revert the dress code to what it was before.

"We got the momentum going," she said.

The superintendent hasn't been available for an interview.
www.cbs7.com

New dress code outlaws dresses and skirts in Texas school district

A new dress code was instituted that officials say will help improve the learning environment, and it has one soon-to-be sophomore fighting back.

Jul 1, 2020
Dress codes in school are, and continue to be very stupid with somewhat flimsy reasoning behind their implementation in theory and terrible in their enforcement in practice.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
1*-5vorFOTtJA2hZnrZ2Jn-A.jpeg

Is this the aim?

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Pretty sure my high school/middle school had a similar dress code.

Only jeans/khakis were allowed. And boys had to tuck in their shirts and wear a belt at all time. No facial hair allowed.
It was wack.

On the other hand at least hoodies were allowed (although you couldn't wear the hoods in class).

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Not american, but what are they expected to wear during incredibly hot temperatures/around summer time? Just sweat and pass out in jeans?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
"I was told that basically hoodies were a safety issue that kids wouldn't take the hoods off their head," he said. "When I asked regarding the dresses, I was told that they were trying to teach professionalism."

very bad nonsense excuses on both accounts.
how is a hoodie a safety issue? they cut down on peripheral vision?
how is a dress not professional?

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Women had to fight for like 100 years to be allowed to wear pants, and now they are going to have to fight to not wear pants as well.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Women have been wearing dresses and skirts for ages, forced to for ages. THAT was considered professionalism. Nuts.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
How exactly does any of this improve the school environment? Also Skorts?

If you make the allowed clothing more uniform across all students, it makes it harder for trans kids to express gender identity, effectively suppressing them with little to no effort. There is zero doubt in my mind that's where this is coming from.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
15 - 20 years ago, schools I went to in Florida had the same rules. Made it harder for hanky-pankey we were told.

I know some families had religious objections over forcing women to wear what they viewed as men's clothes though.
Where in Florida because I went to school in Sunrise FL and never had any restrictions in what I could wear. Hell I had my punk/metal phase and wore ripped shorts (and jenkos) with soccer socks and bowling shoes.

Man thinking back, I dressed like such an idiot. lol

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I get the sneaking suspicion this is actually to prevent any queer and trans students from wearing skirts/dresses to help express their identity and are using "professionalism" as an excuse?

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Some school districts will do just about anything to avoid actually resolving their poor educational standards.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
in high school we had to wear a white button up shirt, tie, trousers, blazer and smart shoes, teachers would give me shit if I didn't have my top button done up, uk.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I feel like there has to be details we're missing, like it means skirts or dresses of a certain length or something. Because who thinks dresses are not professional? I wear a dress to work in the office every day. Like...that statement is completely nonsensical.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Where in Florida because I went to school in Sunrise FL and never had any restrictions in what I could wear. Hell I had my punk/metal phase and wore ripped shorts (and jenkos) with soccer socks and bowling shoes.

Man thinking back, I dressed like such an idiot. lol

South Florida. West Palm Beach area to be specific.

The rules were pretty new though. Like I was in my second year of middle school when most of them went into place. This would have been 2001 - 2002.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The hoods are not a safety issue, but schools definitely need to be clearer on the rules about hoods.

Students want to wear them, but it's almost always the teachers who have to spend time asking students to remove them. It's so stupid.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
The hoodies are a safety issue? lol

Yep, it was a big thing when I taught at a predominantly black population middle school. They said it was to prevent kids from hiding identity from school security if they vandalized/got into fights. The administration would make a point of it almost every day during morning announcements.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
very bad nonsense excuses on both accounts.
how is a hoodie a safety issue? they cut down on peripheral vision?
how is a dress not professional?

Hoodies are only worn by gang members.

I know in my wife's high school they banned sports team apparel that even remotely matched gang colors.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Prior to 2010, there were still catholic schools in town by me which had dress codes for both men and women. The only other school I can think of is a private academy.

Nonetheless, I've always heard "good" (subjective) things about Texas--mostly it's cheap and diverse in major cities--, but these past 5-10 years Texas has begun a full-throated embracement of what made them special in the first place. While I do think Texas may start to turn a little purple with the next few major elections, their justices will have dragged that state back 10 decades before anything changes.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Dress codes in school are, and continue to be very stupid with somewhat flimsy reasoning behind their implementation in theory and terrible in their enforcement in practice.
never had any problem with dress codes while in school, including when we had uniforms. The ones in the OP are absurd beyond reason but that is the point. It's this fall in religious fundamentalism that is spreading.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Dress codes should say

Wear shoes
Wear underwear
Cover your chest and butt.

the end.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
If you make the allowed clothing more uniform across all students, it makes it harder for trans kids to express gender identity, effectively suppressing them with little to no effort. There is zero doubt in my mind that's where this is coming from.
Why do I get the sneaking suspicion this is actually to prevent any queer and trans students from wearing skirts/dresses to help express their identity and are using "professionalism" as an excuse?
It almost definitely is. Republicans have been making everything about "protecting kids from trans and queer people", and blaming trans and queer people for everything.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
they did this some decades in the past..talking about distractions and this that and the other. one group wanted to make all the girls wear pants, and another was against girls wearing pants because they were girls...it was a mess...people are always a mess.