Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck me man. VATS is still broken. 95% hits are lies. Anything outside of short range feels like it doesn't work. I just had a fucking critical miss. The lock in on stuff you can't see bug is still there but not as egregious as missing this much on a VATS build.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
It's crazy the state they are leaving the PC version in:

* Long ass load times (1-5 min load times)

I know there's a mod for the load times on PC, but I really shouldn't have to resort to modding the game for something like this.

I have been playing for about 50 hours after the "next gen patch" on PC and everything works flawlessly. The only problem was the load times after a while, as you mention.

This solves it 100%, I don't even consider it a mod, in case you want to try it out. It goes from 2 minutes to 2-3 seconds in every single load instance.

Load Accelerator

I'm using a 4080 with a 13700 just in case.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
These texture problems may have been in before these recent updates but it's a lot more glaring now
EDIT
This one of the high rise roads next to Sunshine Tidings co-op
VJEJ0yl.png

EDIT
Series X - Visual Fidelity 60fps
4TLEp0c.png

tTukWqs.png

MajZhkN.png

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Playing in Fidelity mode on Series X with the framerate cap set to 60fps on a 4K 120hz vrr tv, and it feels great and very smooth so far, and seems to look noticeably better in outdoor areas.

Pretty cool, as it at least feels like the game can look better and run as well as it did pre-patch. I'l also just still having a great time with the game now that I'm getting to the heart if it all.

i'm tempted to jump back in on PC though if I can find the right mods. I think the most glaring issues with the visuals are the lighting and shadows, especially in the open world. The game has quite good art, textures, and modelling, but the lighting just drags it down. Ray Traced Global illumination and shadows could do wonders for this games visuals, let alone path tracing.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Ever since the original next gen update (XSX) I've found the pipboy to be pretty prone to crashing my game. I can 100% cause a hard crash by going from the Data tab to Radio and back again

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
These texture problems may have been in before these recent updates but it's a lot more glaring now
EDIT
This one of the high rise roads next to Sunshine Tidings co-op
VJEJ0yl.png

EDIT
Series X - Visual Fidelity 60fps

I have had texture issues like that since day 1 of the game. For some reason they almost always (not always) show up on the elevated highways or in the doorway of the robotics yard. Sometimes restarting the game helps.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having more problems now than before todays patch.
Some textures don't load. Like large areas wont' load, which makes navigating them almost impossible.
VATS seems to be locking on to things that aren't there.

turkoman_

Banned
Apr 29, 2023
Playing quality rendering with 40fps target on SX and it is simply amazing. Peak console customization when it comes to visuals imo. Every game should follow this instead of only 30fps/60fps modes. It cover both VRR and and non-VRR screens and it is also future proof as you can select both quality and 60fps on next consoles.

Loved it, cant wait for Starfield update.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
Albion
So, the new patch didn't help load times on PC. I caved and installed the Load Accelerator mod to help that. Now for some reason, anytime I enter a building, my character runs incredibly fast compared to normal and outside areas. Is this a common thing or what? I also apologize if this isn't the right spot to be asking this.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
So, the new patch didn't help load times on PC. I caved and installed the Load Accelerator mod to help that. Now for some reason, anytime I enter a building, my character runs incredibly fast compared to normal and outside areas. Is this a common thing or what? I also apologize if this isn't the right spot to be asking this.
Hmm maybe the high fps physics fix mod will help?

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
Playing quality rendering with 40fps target on SX and it is simply amazing. Peak console customization when it comes to visuals imo. Every game should follow this instead of only 30fps/60fps modes. It cover both VRR and and non-VRR screens and it is also future proof as you can select both quality and 60fps on next consoles.

Loved it, cant wait for Starfield update.

That's great to hear. Look forward to trying it out hopefully tonight.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
How's the frame rate holding up with this combo? I have a VRR display and was considering the same thing.

It's.. ok. That Boston area seems to have less issues now but I can notice the odd frame hitch now and then. Game at times feels buttery smooth but it has these odd frame hitches that seem to occur more frequently even in less taxing areas when nothing going on. Waiting on mods and see if they will update things..

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
It's.. ok. That Boston area seems to have less issues now but I can notice the odd frame hitch now and then. Game at times feels buttery smooth but it has these odd frame hitches that seem to occur more frequently even in less taxing areas when nothing going on. Waiting on mods and see if they will update things..

I'm playing PS5 with quality/60fps and I'm surprised how smooth it's been so far. I need to keep testing but the visuals are definitely sharper so far.
Thank you both! Will hopefully be able to jump on tonight.

Good patch week for me - this today, Diablo 4 tomorrow, and Starfield Wednesday (let's hope they nail that one first time lol).

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT:
Newest patch - Vivid mod disabled
PY8e6dT.png

Previous patch - vivid mod enabled, although time of day may be different
eIv28jX.png

Nyaghoggua

Apr 3, 2024
No major fixes and three quarters of the patch notes are referencing next gen console features while we get nothing worthwhile. Even if they didn't shit the bed in their ultrawide support, super cool, you fixed something modders did themselves 9 years ago that other UI mods use as dependencies, and broke all the worthwhile mods in the process. By all means, update the console versions but leave the PC version alone and revert us back to the pre-"next gen" update (whatever that means in the context of PC gaming).

These updates fucking suck.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021
No major fixes and three quarters of the patch notes are referencing next gen console features while we get nothing worthwhile. Even if they didn't shit the bed in their ultrawide support, super cool, you fixed something modders did themselves 9 years ago that other UI mods use as dependencies, and broke all the worthwhile mods in the process. By all means, update the console versions but leave the PC version alone and revert us back to the pre-"next gen" update (whatever that means in the context of PC gaming).

These updates fucking suck.

Yeah I feel Bethesda done us PC players wrong here.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the VATS bug?

I'm 75% through a VATS only playthrough on Steam Deck and it seems fine?

It's only an xbox thing, I think. But the percentages in VATS are all fucked up and constantly fluctuate. Like it'll go from 95% to 0% to 85% to 0% and just keeps doing that and you'll miss shots that are right in front of you. You can even miss with critical hits. Also it'll target enemies through walls.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It's only an xbox thing, I think. But the percentages in VATS are all fucked up and constantly fluctuate. Like it'll go from 95% to 0% to 85% to 0% and just keeps doing that and you'll miss shots that are right in front of you. You can even miss with critical hits. Also it'll target enemies through walls.

Ahh, I see. That sucks. My current build would be fucked if I had to deal with that.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I have been playing for about 50 hours after the "next gen patch" on PC and everything works flawlessly. The only problem was the load times after a while, as you mention.

This solves it 100%, I don't even consider it a mod, in case you want to try it out. It goes from 2 minutes to 2-3 seconds in every single load instance.

Load Accelerator

I'm using a 4080 with a 13700 just in case.

Ended up trying this out and got odd results even after tweaking some settings that were detailed in the guide.

Got tons of image tearing during gameplay, even with the limiter in game set to 60. Also my fps went from a solid and consistent 72 to an inconsistent 90-144.

Ended up uninstalling it.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Ended up trying this out and got odd results even after tweaking some settings that were detailed in the guide.

Got tons of image tearing during gameplay, even with the limiter in game set to 60. Also my fps went from a solid and consistent 72 to an inconsistent 90-144.

Ended up uninstalling it.

Got your same results at first, had to limit the game framerate at 60 (in the provided file in the Mod) and everything became perfect. Was getting like 200 fps fluctuations before.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
was the patch out for pc? couldnt find any option to change modes or fps (and yes i tried on the main menu not ingame) and the game is always locked to choppy 48fps no matter what i do

uninstalled and will wait for the inevitable patch 3 down the line i guess

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Hmm…limiting it to 60 in that included ini file had no effect for me.

In the LoadAccelerator.ini file, try changing this to false:

;** Better than nothing.
AutoDetectLoadingState = false

And just in case, put 60 here if you haven't already:

;** FPS limit in LoadingScreen and in Game.(0: Nolimit)
;** When you use the FPS limit in loading, GPU load will decrease, but loading time increases.
;** The optimum InLoading value depends on the environment.(350 seems good on my PC)
FPSLimitInGame = 60
FPSLimitInLoading = 350
FPSLimitInBlackLoading = 350​

As a final step, you probably reviewed this already but make sure that you are not limiting anything from the Nvidia Control panel:

Vsync and fps limit must be controllable from application.
For nvidia,
- Vertical sync : Set to "Use the 3D application settings".
- Max Frame Limit : Set to "Off"

was the patch out for pc? couldnt find any option to change modes or fps (and yes i tried on the main menu not ingame) and the game is always locked to choppy 48fps no matter what i do

uninstalled and will wait for the inevitable patch 3 down the line i guess

Yes PC was patched as well. Thankfully, nothing broke on my end, so all good.

You wont find "modes" in the PC version, those are for the consoles. You can manually adjust your own "modes" in the launcher or in game (rendering output, rendering distance, effects, etc.). Just adjust as needed on your PC until you get 60 fps.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
What's the VATS bug?

I'm 75% through a VATS only playthrough on Steam Deck and it seems fine?

Fairly certain it's an Xbox issue. Or at least we've been the most vocal about it

You VATS target things not in line of sight. Two shots basically don't work in vats, missing criticals, ridiculous power accuracy despite displaying 95% etc

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
In the LoadAccelerator.ini file, try changing this to false:

;** Better than nothing.
AutoDetectLoadingState = false

And just in case, put 60 here if you haven't already:

;** FPS limit in LoadingScreen and in Game.(0: Nolimit)
;** When you use the FPS limit in loading, GPU load will decrease, but loading time increases.
;** The optimum InLoading value depends on the environment.(350 seems good on my PC)
FPSLimitInGame = 60
FPSLimitInLoading = 350
FPSLimitInBlackLoading = 350​

As a final step, you probably reviewed this already but make sure that you are not limiting anything from the Nvidia Control panel:

Vsync and fps limit must be controllable from application.
For nvidia,
- Vertical sync : Set to "Use the 3D application settings".
- Max Frame Limit : Set to "Off"

Thanks, I think this is how I had it set but I'll give it another go with those exact settings above. I also wasn't sure if there was a way to turn off the icons in the bottom right when the mod was active.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of getting into this game. I have never played it but for a few hours back on my ps4 I think… Is this one of the better Fallouts, does the next gen update make it a much better game?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking of getting into this game. I have never played it but for a few hours back on my ps4 I think… Is this one of the better Fallouts, does the next gen update make it a much better game?

It doesn't make it a better game per se. It just makes it a more modern one, running and looking like one resolution wise which is huge. The older games are further generation back and look and play rough unless you go mod heavy on PC.

It's absolutely a great entry point because you have none of the hyperbolic baggage that fans of the series harp on about that would detract from your experience in this one.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada

Best one gameplay wise by a country mile and I personally think it has the most fun progression systems too. The writing won't make you feel like an holier than thou intellectual but it can be fun in its own right.

The core content and hand crafted quests (or lack thereof compared to most Bethesda games) is the biggest issue but the gameplay makes up for it to some degree.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
Best one gameplay wise by a country mile and I personally think it has the most fun progression systems too. The writing won't make you feel like an holier than thou intellectual but it can be fun in its own right.

The core content and hand crafted quests (or lack thereof compared to most Bethesda games) is the biggest issue but the gameplay makes up for it to some degree.

Thanks to both posters. Would you recommend fallout 4 or Starfield to waste a 100 hours?

Last edited:

SnoopyK

Jan 27, 2018
I playing on Survival PS5 level 81, no mods started from new game when patch was released, was in Far Harbor and I am in a stealth mode bug it's always activated , I tried sleeping , touching a terminal and workbenches, using stealth boy and waiting, activating cut scenes I am in character is stealth in them, nothing seems to get me out, I wouldn't care that much if the map and pip boy screens weren't so messed up in this mode but it is almost unplayable. I tried restarting game also, didn't work anyone got any ideas to try fix it ?

To update:
anyone running into this stealth bug on Survival I advise just accepting going to your last sleep save point and just reload losing a few hours because I tried all the online recommendations that used to fix it none worked (plastic surgery also) and on Survival I just screwed myself out of about 30 hours since it will auto save over last 3 auto saves , I had to load it where it did keep a save like 5 days ago entering Far Harbor, on Survival it does save at points besides sleeping but not often, only other point I noticed in 190 hours playtime was in Trinity Tower midway elevator .

Last edited: