• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LuigiBlood

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
away from Era
So... some shady collector has gen 1 protos, leaked a few assets to this group of Pokemon fan historians, then disappeared into the night, and the fans decided the best way to reveal all this is by sticking the assets into a ROM hack and streaming it without explanation?

What a clusterfuck.
To be honest this is exactly how the Pokémon Gold/Silver Spaceworld ROMs were leaked too.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man it's really cool to see this kind of stuff pop up. Lots of interesting things to pick apart here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There's a timeline where Baloonda exists instead of Drifloon. I imagine that timeline would still complain about Trubbish or Klefki.
Right?
Gen 1 designs still suck ass
Some of these prototype Pokemon were actually way better than what we got.

It's a shame that due to limitations they had to make the Pokemon so simple (and an even bigger shame that people seem to think that gen 1 had the best designs because they were simple)

I'll never understand the "Anything past gen 1 is an overdesigned mess" mentality when outside of legendaries this usually is not the case and the Pokemon have very clever, well thought out designs that they are now able to better depict due to not being limited by technology

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
To be honest this is exactly how the Pokémon Gold/Silver Spaceworld ROMs were leaked too.
Uh, nope. Someone dumped the actual Spaceworld ROM and put it online. Someone who knew what it was came across it and was able to verify it as real. IIRC it was quite a process.

I don't necessarily think Helix Chamber aren't being genuine with this one, but the source material is very sketchy without any possible way to verify it such as ROM dump.

Oct 29, 2017
Backstory sounds super weird. Maybe one day there'll be some more information if it's real. Doesn't sound like there's anyway to verify anything in this case. Shame we didn't get the rom like the gen 2 prototype

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Kangaskhan was originally a Marowak evo, Blastoise was originall a separate Pokemon line with its own pre evo, Wartortle's fluffy tail now makes sense because there was going to originally be an even fluffier evolution, and there is a middle evolution for the Psyduck line. Holy shit. Gamefreak originally just cut some Pokemon out or slapped together originally unrelated Pokemon, and eventually spun drastic evolutions as a design philosophy, the crazy bastards actually pulled it off. Likely the same thing with the Kangaskhan line, Caterpie and Venemoth shenanigans, and probably more. Again, Holy Shit

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, nope. Someone dumped the actual Spaceworld ROM and put it online. Someone who knew what it was came across it and was able to verify it as real. IIRC it was quite a process.

I don't necessarily think Helix Chamber aren't being genuine with this one, but the source material is very sketchy without any possible way to verify it such as ROM dump.

Isn't the "someone" you are talking about mostly the same people that got hands on these assets?

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Wait I'm confused. The comments at the article suggest this is a fanmade ROM hack?
There was a stream of a romhack with these assets inserted back into it beforehand. It was intentionally supposed to be presented as coy and was just a special surprise for a charity marathon. People either loved it or hated it or really hated it.

The assets were verified by HelixChamber when the person was able to identify something nobody else had ever seen back during the summer (Kotora's back sprite). We would not run this story if we weren't sure. As was mentioned on Twitter everyone has the right to be skeptical, and if you feel more comfortable waiting for this to be verified by some future Game Freak interview or shot of an old design document like Omega a few months ago, so be it. However, we are positive this is real.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just trying to imagine how this franchise would have gone if the trainer character actually had that whip in the game, lol.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Thats really mysterious abot the leaker and no front sprites but ok, having something is better than having nothing haha.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
23 years after the release of these games, new stuff keeps coming up. It's amazing, really.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Right?
Gen 1 designs still suck ass
Some of these prototype Pokemon were actually way better than what we got.

It's a shame that due to limitations they had to make the Pokemon so simple (and an even bigger shame that people seem to think that gen 1 had the best designs because they were simple)

I'll never understand the "Anything past gen 1 is an overdesigned mess" mentality when outside of legendaries this usually is not the case and the Pokemon have very clever, well thought out designs that they are now able to better depict due to not being limited by technology

Pokemon's simple and effective designs are a huge part of the series success, why they're so adored and why designs like Pikachu transcended age and gender to become the most successful characters in all of media. Its not a shame, its the entire reason Pokemon is what it is. Latter generations also have a lot of popular Pokemon that are comprised of very simple shapes and colours.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Aww, why only back sprites :( Still amazing though, I literally loved the Gold and Silver SpaceWorld leak and this is not as informative but still very, very nice!

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
nSviwKF.png

God help us all.

Gotta help us all!

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Oh God, we are eventually going to see what Gorochu looks like, aren't we?

IT'S GONNA HAPPEN NINTENDO, YOU CAN'T PREVENT IT.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Delving into the article now, lots of stuff make more sense now. Super cool to see Blaine's original design, his official art never looked like his sprite in the game. Also the earth badge resembling a feather, Giovanni was originally a flying type trainer! So cool.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of suspicious of the source here. The collector is either trying to inflate the value of the prototype (which is shitty and a whole separate discussion) or something about the materials he provided is fishy. I'd like to see the ROM dumped.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I'm kind of suspicious of the source here. The collector is either trying to inflate the value of the prototype (which is shitty and a whole separate discussion) or something about the materials he provided is fishy. I'd like to see the ROM dumped.

The fact Gen 2's ROM's lost pre-evolutions are here too make it a bit odd. I'll admit I don't know why they considered pre-evolutions for some of those 'Mons.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
uNm9173.jpg

I, for one, believe these are absolutely adorable.

They are, but IIRC those are sprites from the Spaceworld ROM. I haven't read the whole article yet, but is it passing these off as Gen 1 prototype sprites? Because Gen 1's art is a bit... rougher, or in Yellow's case they're recreating Sugimori Art. These couldn't be from any earlier than Gen 2's prototype.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Blastoise was never meant to be Squirtle's final evolution, that makes so much sense and I am gutted that they did that as Totartle looks so cool.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm incredibly curious as to what Gorochu looked like. Just seeing the back sprite is giving me a nasty case of chu balls.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
It's garbage data from a glitch mistakenly trying to read non Pokemon data as a Pokemon. That's it. Nothing else.

Anyone trying to claim otherwise is an immediate debunk of everything they are saying, IMO.
Incorrect. Last May a manga describing Satoshi Tajiri's life and creation of Pokemon revealed several of the slots that later became MissingNo. Morimoto himself confirmed in an impromptu interview that the MissingNo. slots were dummied-out Pokemon.

Last edited:

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
It's garbage data from a glitch mistakenly trying to read non Pokemon data as a Pokemon. That's it. Nothing else.

Anyone trying to claim otherwise is an immediate debunk of everything they are saying, IMO.
????
It's literally confirmed officially that the missing no data is Pokemon that weren't fully programmed and or removed from the game all together. Not sure what got you thinking otherwise.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
This stuff is always incredible to look at. Much thanks to those involved in sharing it.

...So, we finally see Gorochu, huh.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they scrapped the Betta Pokemon that I've wanted since forever >.>
Funny thing is we had that one as a bird at first. In a future article we'll be going over our findings with the move data, but for now let's just say that line learned several moves in the vicinity of kicking moves and we figured out that it was a literal fighting fish.