• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/03/09/random-updates-and-bits-o-news/

Random Updates and Bits o' News

I look around, and I don't know where 2021 went. I blinked and it was gone. Not a year that I am going to mourn much, any more than 2020. A global pandemic, so many deaths (including friends of mine, as well as celebrities of all sorts), politics grown increasingly toxic… it was a year best forgotten. I did, however, get a lot of work done in 2021. An enormous amount of work, in truth; I seem to have an enormous number of projects.

(I am not complaining. I like working. Writing, editing, producing. There is nothing I like better than storytelling).

I know, I know, for many of you out there, only one of those projects matters.

I am sorry for you. They ALL matter to me.

Yes, of course I am still working on THE WINDS OF WINTER. I have stated that a hundred times in a hundred venues, having to restate it endlessly is just wearisome. I made a lot of progress on WINDS in 2020, and less in 2021… but "less" is not "none."

The world of Westeros, the world of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, is my number one priority, and will remain so until the story is told. But Westeros has become bigger than THE WINDS OF WINTER, or even A SONG OF ICE & FIRE. In addition to WINDS, I also need to deliver the second volume of Archmaester Gyldayn's history, FIRE & BLOOD. (Thinking of calling that one BLOOD & FIRE, rather than just F&B, Vol 2). Got a couple hundred pages of that one written, but there's still a long way to go. I need to write more of the Dunk & Egg novellas, tell the rest of their stories, especially since there's a television series about them in development. There's a lavish coffee table book coming later this year, an illustrated, condensed version of FIRE & BLOOD done with Elio Garcia and Linda Antonsson (my partners on THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE), and my Fevre River art director, Raya Golden. And another book after that, a Who's Who in Westeros. And that's just the books.

There are also the successor shows. Those have taken a ton of my time and attention this year. I have seen some comments out there questioning how much I am involved in these new series. The answer is: a lot. Deeply, heavily involved in every one of the new shows. It's my world, and while I have been working closely with some fantastic writers and showrunners, ultimately it is up to me to try to keep the canon… well, canonical… and to do all I can to help make the new shows great. (And I love these stories too).

[...]

And in addition to all that, let me say one again, yes, I am still working on WINDS OF WINTER.

(There's more about the spinoff shows, if you read the whole post)

Honestly, this is really disappointing. A year ago GRRM said he got a ton of writing for Winds of Winter done in 2020, and he seemed hopeful for the first time in years. It actually looked like he was getting close. And now he comes with this "All of Westeros is my priority, including the spinoff shows" stuff?

Just...prioritize, George, for the love of god

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I keep thinking of the Wheel of Time author who had a preface in all his novels about how he'll keep writing WoT until they put the nails into his coffin.

At least he was writing them.

Ventrue

Oct 27, 2017
The year is 2035. The Winds of Winter has finally released. All chapters take place on the previously unknown content of Suthren, with a whole new set of POV characters, running parallel to the events of A Dance with Dragons.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I've long given up the waiting. I'm surprised more people haven't. If it happens, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I've gotten over expecting to ever read Winds of Winter.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I really want to know what his original version of Winds of Winter was. The 2016 version that was scrapped.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
It must be more fun to pal around with the cool kids in Hollywood than just grinding out novels for fantasy dorks.

I think that's largely it.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I've made my peace. The show soured me on the TV side of things but I'll be there for Winds if and when it comes out. No use being mad about it, even though I get the frustration obviously.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
THE WINDS OF WINTER ACT 1
THE WINDS OF WINTER ACT 2
THE WINDS OF WINTER ACT 2 ACT 1
THE WINDS OF WINTER ACT 2 ACT 1 INTERMISSION

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever Crystal. Just hand it off to someone like Sanderson and let him write it at this point.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
If he actually cared he would finish the freaking flagship that gave him all this success and then expand.

Winds will never come out. And even if, so what, shit will never be fully finished anyway, cause the last book he won't ever start writing.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Hire a ghost writer, dude. It's clear you don't actually want to do it yourself, and that's fine. No judgment. But better to get the ghost writer now than after you're gone, right? You can give it a final pass.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I've long given up the waiting. I'm surprised more people haven't. If it happens, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I've gotten over expecting to ever read Winds of Winter.
Yep, that's where i'm at. I'm too busy reading through the grimdark of the 40K universe to care anymore.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
This is fucking hilarious.

Anyone who actually believes he's going to end these books is one of the most gullible people ever.

Seriously, GRRM created a great world, but anyone who actually trust this guy and stands up for him is blind.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
He spends more time thinking of ways to troll on his blog than actually writing WoW, huh?

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point? Even if he does finish Winds, he's never gonna get to the last one.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Hire a ghost writer, dude. It's clear you don't actually want to do it yourself, and that's fine. No judgment. But better to get the ghost writer now than after you're gone, right? You can give it a final pass.

This would probably be the best bet. Let another writer give you stuff to work off of then go from there.

I haven't read any of the books and won't start unless I know there is an official ending.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to someone adapting the unfinished book in the future into a graphic novel for all the readers.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
You know, I'm sure most people will just be happy with his book whenever he releases it, so I don't think my feelings on this are representative of anything.

But I think he's approaching this poorly. He's kept people waiting for over a decade now to see what happens next. And when his franchise was the golden child of fantasy this didn't seem so bad. A lot of people were keeping up with the show instead or only just jumping into the books because of the show. But it's a bad idea to ignore how damaging the final season or two of that show was to his series brand. Continuing to drag things out and basically shame his fans for asking to see his version of it by telling us that he "needs" to write more Dunk and Egg and other prequel shit a lot of us don't care about is... ehhh, I dunno.

I think he needed to go on damage control and come out swinging with a killer novel, not take on a bunch of prequel and spin-off projects that by their nature less and less people will care about. At this point not only has it been over a decade since the last book, it's been like three years since the show soured a lot of folks. I think he should have focused on establishing his book series as the best version of the story to win over the GoT audience to the books, not try to recapture the spark with another HBO show.

Also, like, at this point it's been so long since I actually read these books I would need to reread them and given my growing disinterest, I don't know if I care enough to actually do that. If you told me I'd be saying that 10 years ago, hell even 5 years ago, I wouldn't have believed you. But honestly I've found better fantasy novels since then anyway.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Lol even his annual New year's update post was delayed.
Dudes got his fortune after a lifetime of writing. It's not hard to see how this isn't a priority anymore

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think Winds will eventually release. Spring, on the other hand…

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's read between the lines here.

I made a lot of progress on WINDS in 2020, and less in 2021… but "less" is not "none."

So maybe he wrote 10 pages in 2020 and in 2021 he wrote only 5...

George can do whatever makes him happy, it's no skin off my back.

34241-m.webp

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ASoIaF is my favourite book series ever and it saddens me that I will never be able to read WoW, let alone A Dream of Spring.

Jan 29, 2018
I used to be mad but whatever. Dude wrote some cool books and seems to be doing whatever makes him happy now. Dude doesn't owe anybody anything (except maybe his publisher, I don't know how all that works).

If Winds comes out I'll happily read it but that final book after it isn't ever coming, so we aren't getting closure that didn't already come from the show.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all need to back off. He's so tired of saying he's still working on Winds of Winter. How can he be expected to write when he's fatigued like that? Plus HBO just greenlit an Arya sequel series so he needs to write the backstory for a whole new continent.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even care anymore. I was so excited when I discovered the books but I've moved on and have no interest in the world anymore. It's a shame.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
While it's disappointing to see The Winds of Winter delayed yet further, I did appreciate seeing this bit of promising news:

GRRM said:
I need to write more of the Dunk & Egg novellas, tell the rest of their stories, especially since there's a television series about them in development.

The previous Dunk & Egg novellas were delightful. If Martin decided to say to hell with it and just work on those I wouldn't argue overly. Yes, I would like an ending to the primary storyline but if Martin is determined to work on different eras I'd prefer it be prose of this sort rather than additional histories.